England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Agree he was outstanding tonight. Shame we couldn't push him to centre back as he has the pace and athletism to cover for any mistake that maguire might make

2. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Every player stood up tonight for City. Everyone. Including Foden who belonged and looked as good any player on the pitch, bar maybe Walker and Jesus who had fantastic games individually.

Real Madrid's core a year too old now though.

EDIT: In response to the Rover above, yes, Sterling is a better player than Hazard.

W.A.S.P., roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m glad Foden starts and I think it shows Guardiola will play him - he has to be picked for England now.

I’d like to see him centrally though, he really isn’t a left winger and he needs to be played in the centre to get the most out of him IMO.

either way I think that’s where he’ll play for England, with him in midfield we should be light years better

Wendigo7, W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    First half foden was anonymous. Second half he played 2 cute passes into de bruyne and I think rodri. He has all the ability in the world just wish he would stop playing safe passes so much

5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't wait to see Foden start for England. He's going to make an immediate positive impact if we play him in a #10 or #8 role depending on what formation we use.

6. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Henderson, Foden and 1 other in midfield.

7. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    So positive to see the fruits of our youth development starting to show now though. I see more and more English players making a big impact on the champions league stage in the next few years. We are getting there, just need to stay patient.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Anonymous is incredibly harsh imo for someone that was playing out of position and pressed incredibly well and got on the ball a few times and could have scored also. He was obviously being used by Pep in that position for the very purpose of fast press and you have to say it worked.

9. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    I think the context of the game has to be taken into consideration when assessing a player's performance. This was a champions league knockout game against the most famous club in the world, for someone who has just turned 20. I thought Foden played better against Liverpool, but he was still very assured and composed last night, and didn't look overawed by the occasion, he will get better and better. I feel we will see the best of him once he is truly established im the first team at City. He is almost there in that sense, but not quite 100% yet in the way Sterling or De Bruyne are.

Once that happens, he will be able to take even more risks and play with even more freedom, which will see him flourish fully into one of the world's best if everything hopefully goes to plan. Speaking of De Bruyne and Sterling, it is great that he has player's like that around him. One, because they are role models. Two, because every player is improved by being alongside other great players. Three, by having other great players in his team, opposition teams like Burnley won't be able to just surround him with three or four players and kick lumps out of him all game.

roverman repped this.
  10. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Do you think that Walker is ahead of Trippier as our ‘other’ RB?

11. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    I think it’s impossible for Southgate not to pick walker for the squad now. He’s played really well most of the season and was world class in my opinion against Madrid. He’s playing regularly in the champions league/ league and performing well.

posters might not agree, but I think he’s a much better player then say Wan Bissaka. Who is good defensively, but average going forward

12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Absolutely

13. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Agree. Walker is still one of the best right backs in the world. But taa, awb and James are the future. Love to see walker involved somewhere, maybe as a centre back as he still has great athleticism. We have incredible depth at rightback, shame none of these guys could play left back

14. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    The one thing that hurts Walker is that his crossing/final ball is clearly a level or two below TAA and Trippier. Defensively he's superior and he would be in my squad, but I can see why others would be chosen over him, especially with limited numbers for a tournament.

15. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Even without the Man City and United players, we can still cobble together a decent squad;

Pickford
    Pope
    Henderson
    Saka
    Rose
    Mings
    Smalling
    Keane/Dier
    Gomez
    TAA
    Walker
    Rice
    Phillips
    Winks
    Ward-Prowse
    Ox/Barkley
    Maddison
    Mount
    Grealish
    Barnes
    Sancho
    Ings
    Kane
    Abraham

Have I forgotten anyone? Stones might have been involved had he played more. Likewise CHO and RLC.

roverman repped this.
  16. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Probably a few. Like Chilwell and J.Henderson. And you got at least a City player there.
    Rose should not be called up again for England.

roverman repped this.
  17. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #9217 TopBanana10, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Chilwell and Henderson are both injured. Putting Walker in was a brain fart though. Might have to be James. Trippier will likely be rested because he’s still in the CL.

Who else would you have as LB though? Shaw and Chilwell are out. Taylor? Thomas?

18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Saka

19. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I’d already put Saka. I meant who instead of Rose.

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Oh. I meant Saka for leftback but maybe Fredericks of West ham

21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    or Ryan sessignon

22. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I’d rather Rose than Fredericks or Sessegnon. At least he has experience.

23. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Fredericks is not a left back, Sessegnon basically hasn't done anything in this season. Charlie Taylor or Joe Bryan for me.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Who do we think Southgate will call up for the next squad? Any shock inclusions? I'm hoping saka, foden, greenwood get brought in. Also possibly Philips, grealish

25. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I just posted my thoughts earlier today. Don’t think it would be wise to call up players involved in European competitions as they deserve a break.

Not ideal but we can make the best of it by calling up fringe players.