England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MUFC20

MUFC20 Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Very interesting how Southgate will set up the midfield. Grealish and Foden could start together if we are playing a weaker side. Playing a strong team it will be interesting to see how he sets the midfield up and if he is brave enough to play a midfield that will allow England to control possession.

2. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I would be very surprised if Southgate played Grealish anywhere other than in a wide position.

3. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Grealish doesn't particularly shine in central midfield anyway, by far his best performances for Villa are out wide on the left (although its really more a free role).

4. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Why would he drop Pickford? Henderson was in the last squad so he doesn't actually need to drop anyone for him.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Also, who would you replace him with? I think in the last squad would have been Pickford, Henderson and Pope so not sure who you have in there instead of Pickford.

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Just based on pickfords form this season. I would still have him number 1 long term but just see what others can do

7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Saka with another assist. This boy really is something special. We are so lucky in England to have a very special generation of youngsters coming through. If we don't win something in the next 10 years with players like saka greenwood foden trent sancho odoi rashford then it will be a travesty. I know Belgium could say the same

8. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Belgium looked flat in 2014 and lost to an Argentina team who were a bad matchup for them. In 2016, the whole teams seemed to hate Wilmots and really missed a huge opportunity to win it all by losing to Wales in the weaker side of the knockout bracket. 2018 they were playing close to their potential but lost to France who deserves to win the World Cup. Belgium still have enough talent to win in 2021 but they won’t be favorites.

roverman repped this.
  9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I would put England as third favourites behind France and Belgium

10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really happy to see Danny Ings has turned his career around gotten and back into contention for England.

TitoTata repped this.
  11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Germany and Spain are more talented than Belgium. Heck, even Holland are a more organized side than them.

12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I see France as the only team that England would have a really hard time beating. Other than France I’m confident we can beat anybody and hang a couple of goals on them too.

roverman repped this.
  13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I concur

roverman repped this.
  14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’d like to see Rashford , Saka , Sancho as our front three , full stop

15. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    You can't discount Belgium, any team with Hazard (though it'll be interesting to see how he does next season) and De Bruyne has the creativity to win tournaments, but you'd have to say that 2018 and 2016 were their best chances of ever winning a tournament.

Their defensive quality has declined quite a lot since those tournaments (not that they ever really had any defensive depth - which probably cost them in Euro 2016 with Kompany out), and they've also lost some of their more experience midfielders like Dembele, Fellaini, and Nainggolan.

roverman repped this.
  16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    There are plenty of teams that we would have a hard time beating imo, especially with our defence and unconvincing goalkeeper. On current form, they would make me nervous and couldn’t really see us beating that many. Belguim, Germany, France, Spain, Holland, Portugal would all be very difficult games for us at the moment and I wouldn’t feel that confident going into them.

17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    We are easily capable of beating all if them bar France. I really don't rate Holland, aside from de Jong, de ligt and vvd there isn't a huge amount of quality. Germany are talented but like us are defensively weak, Portugal are a very strong side but lack a natural goalscorer without ronaldo. Spain are too weak in many areas. Belgium are on the wane. I would fancy greenwood, kane, saka sterling, foden, sancho, rashford, too rip any of those defences apart

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Mate, you are way to confident and maybe I’m a bit negative but I can’t see us easily beating any of those teams to be honest. All will be tough and provide different problems for us to overcome. I’m not saying we can’t beat them but I think some people are way to confident at the moment. We are not the only Country to produce good quality kids, there are many and we shouldn’t discount them so easily as we seem to do on this thread.

Serengeti_Boy and roverman repped this.
  19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm not saying we will defeat any of them easily just we are capable which means at our best we can. we are stronger than alot of them in most areas other than centreback

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Also I don't see Belgium producing anywhere near the amount of youngsters that they were with this generation. Germany only have one or two. Spain are relying on the same players. Italy have a few, Holland are still away behind us

21. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wouldn't be confident in facing any of the big nations until we get some better midfielders.

22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Winks, cheek, Henderson are all good midfielders. Foden, grealish and maddison could all be classed as attacking midfielders

23. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    So you keep telling us. All you’re interested in doing is building up and knocking down.

It’s getting really boring seeing you reel off a list of players every day as if you’re some kind of visionary. Then a week later changing your mind and saying they should be dropped.

24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    We have eight fixtures lined up for later this year. I’d also like to see Henderson and Pope start a couple of games but are you talking about dropping Pickford from the squad altogether?

25. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree somewhat with Roverman on this take but you are right that none of these teams are easy to beat. Personally, England are better than most at our best.

roverman repped this.