England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    One of their primary goals is race-based reparations. The leadership includes a convicted terrorist and another woman with a history of writing long diatribes about how Whites are sub-humans. The public response might largely reflect anti-racist sentiment, but the organization itself is basically just a proto-Black supremacist group.

roverman and TopBanana10 repped this.
  2. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Let me guess - you think Trump is great, Brexit will be a success, vaccinations should be banned, Covid is linked to 5G and Bill Gates is evil

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I like trump. No I'm against brexit. No vaccinations shouldn't be banned. Covid is because of the wet markets in China no problem with bill gates

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    How anyone can like Trump is one of life’s great mysteries, honestly it amazes me especially seeing all the car crash tweets he’s been involved in over the years should be enough on its own to put you off and if it doesn’t, wow!

Gaz811 repped this.
  5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Can we get back to football. Anyone think greenwood and Saka might have a chance of being in the next England squad

Gaz811 repped this.
  6. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Greenwoods got a good chance. Sakas a bit hit and miss at the minute.Its great to see all these young English coming through.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I agree with everyone. If Southgate doesn't call up Tucker Carlson, we riot.

Oh sorry, didn't realise you were done waylaying the thread.

Placid Casual repped this.
  8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Saka needs to be capped

he can play lb, rw, lb and cm and is quality

W.A.S.P., roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  9. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    If either City or Utd make it to a European final then it would be sensible to leave those players out of our September fixtures and let them rest (unless both teams get to a final.) That would be a great chance to look at other players. Otherwise, whose place is Saka taking?

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Delph if Gareth still loves him, dele?

roverman repped this.
  11. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I don’t think either of those players are in Saka’s way. He’d be more likely competing with Shaw, Sterling etc

Serengeti_Boy and roverman repped this.
  12. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    You may be judging this from the Sheffield United match where he looked tired as up to that point he'd played every minute since the restart (still started the move with a lovely turn and run) but as an Arsenal follower I can say he's been their best player this season and is first name on the team sheet.

He isn't a left back and Arteta is starting move him more centrally where be can get involved more.

Gaz811, roverman and TitoTata repped this.
  13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Auba has been arsenals best player but saka is definitely the most promising

arteta used him as an 8 and he looked good but has been most effective wide left

14. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Glad to see Rice looking really good again, I still have my doubts about his technical ability to be a genuinely top defensive midfielder but its also to forget how young he is in a position that players generally peak later.

Some talk of him being made into a centre back again as well although from an England perspective it'd be better he remained a holding midfielder. For all the talent coming through there's still a paucity of deep lying and holding midfielders (mind you the centre back situation isn't great either), we don't seem to have cracked that area yet - seems like anyone particularly technically talented gets pushed forward with a lack of appreciation of those skills in deeper positions.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Harry winks is the perfect deep lying player. Keeps the ball, uses it well. Hopefully kalvin Phillips makes an impact in the epl next season

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  16. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #8716 MrSnrub, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Winks is decent but I don't think he'll ever be a genuinely top player. I'm not sure how much gametime he'll get either when Mourinho gets to reshape the team in the transfer window. Also if you play Winks against top or even decent teams you'd really still need a defensive midfielder alongside him.

England have been hurt time and time again at tournaments by the lack of midfielders capable and really to take the ball off the defence and keep the ball under pressure (none more so than the last world cup) so i'd say its probably the number one area of concern for England for the 2020's (second centre backs depth, third left back, goalkeeper situation is a bit dicey too....). But at least hopefully with the likes of Foden and Bellingham coming through you can maybe get away with a Rice type who does a good job protecting the defence but is more limited on the ball.

17. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Delph is out of the picture now unless he plays well and there’s injuries to players in his position.

18. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Doesn’t matter to me if Winks won’t ever be a top player. You said it that he’s decent and we really need a decent CDM and Winks is that man. He’s solid at keeping the ball and is good at dribbling out of trouble. He was fantastic against Spain and whenever Winks plays for England we typically play well.

roverman repped this.
  19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Winks is the o my England midfielder comfortable recycling the ball from deep

roverman repped this.
  20. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sterling has won a penalty and now scored against Liverpool with the assist coming from Foden.

roverman repped this.
  21. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Against Spain he had Dier as a defensive midfielder, I don't think he's anywhere near good enough defensively that you could leave him against a top team as the sole defensive midfielder.

I think there's a good chance he will see very little game time next season, he's far from a Mourinho player.

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Foden with a brilliant goal!

roverman repped this.
  23. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    The delayed Euro's might well benefit us by giving an extra season for Foden to establish himself, surely got to be in the first team now. He was already clearly heads and shoulders above players like Mount and Maddison in the under 21. I'm not sure we have anyone even in the seniors who comes remotely close to his ability level.

Marcho Gamgee, W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  24. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Yeah I have to agree with this. Don't get me wrong, mount, Madison and grealish are all fantastic players but I always got the feeling they were only filling in for England until foden started getting more game time. We've known for a few years how good this lad is and now he has to be a starter for me in both city and England squads.

roverman repped this.
  25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Can't wait to see England once greenwood, Saka and Foden are established. Plus sancho, Rashford, sterling, kane in the same team

thebigman repped this.