England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Agreed .. the Ox is injured after coming on five mins ago .. Liverpool have already used up their subs

Poor reffing imho

Hasn’t stopped them diving / faking all night .. Missed a penalty when Mane was clearly held in the penalty box
    Just missed a clear free kick opportunity just outside the box just for starters

Liverpool with 74% possession..
    Atletico forwards falling to the ground, the rest committing niggling fouls and wasting time .. not a ball boy in sight ..

roverman repped this.
  2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Atleti are a disgrace. Hope liverpool hump them in the second leg. Gomez for me has been liverpool's best player . Great defensively and used the ball really well

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    The polish ref is absolutely clueless. Why are refs from small footballing nations handling big european games

4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Ogs now thinks rashford injury more serious than he thought. Touch and go for euros

5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Now Spurs have lost Kane and now Son probably till the end of the season.. I’m wondering why they don’t try Dele Alli at centre forward !?

He’s got everything he needs to be a brilliant CF in my opinion

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How has he? He’s slow not a great dribbler and an inconsistent finisher

7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Jermaine jenus is a clown. He claims spurs dont have any players that can turn in tight spaces and get the ball moving. Winks is great at doing that. Hes clueless

8. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Since when did a CF have to be a good dribbler ?

He’s bright , has a great first touch , fabulous technique, scores incredible goals .. and loves the physical side

9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Foden still not trusted ..

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Oh, I don’t know about that, he’s going to get 6 minutes :cool:

11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Ali going off. Done nothing again. Hope southgate doesnt leave maddison or grealish out of the euros for him

12. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    doesn't have fabulous technique. He's obviously more of a forward than a number 10 though

13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    #8138 TitoTata, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    You don’t think he’s a technical player !??

14. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Depends what the standard is. There are several more technical english players than him.

roverman repped this.
  15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well, guess we have to get into the mindset of going into the Euro’s without Kane and Rashford which is pretty depressing to a degree but not the end of the World, so it’s time for others to step up and stake the claim and come out of the shadows. I still won’t be that disheartened if we start with a front three of Sterling, Abraham and Sancho then I think a reserve three would be CHO ( who really needs to step up now and show the haters what he really can do ) Ings and then maybe Grealish will be used in a wide option which isn’t a bad option as he’s different from the usual wide players we have. If Grealish won’t be used in that role and Southgate prefers him in a central role then maybe Harvey Barnes or Redmond. Struggling to think of other fit wide players after these players?

With Kane and Rashford set to be out, what will Southgate do? Will he take three striking options of Abraham, Ings and Wilson? Depth wise this is a bit of a concern, no problem with Tammy and Ings but Wilson has been badly off form this year but struggling to think of another in form striker as Vardy has still not made himself available.

16. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    You forgot Calvert-Lewin, he must be clearly ahead of Wilson.

Marcho Gamgee and TitoTata repped this.
  17. NWCherries

NWCherries Member

AFC Bournemouth
    England
    Nov 17, 2019
    What's DCL's all-round game like? He's got the 11ish goals this season which is obviously good, but I haven't seen enough of him to know what kind of player he is. Is he a poacher, target/link man, does he run the channels, is he skillful?

I know Wilson isn't popular on here, but Southgate may well opt for him over DCL just to retain some squad continuity and familiarity. Plus, he's really not as bad as some of you make out; when he's on form he's a handful for any defender in the PL. He'll definitely need to put the work in to try and earn a place for the Euros though, he could've cemented his place in the squad with Kane and Rashford out, but Ings and Abraham have comfortably overtaken him now.

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yes, thank you, knew I’d forgotten someone.

19. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    DCL is more in line with your traditional English centre forward, he was developing into a fine target man, very strong in the air and you know you've been in a game when he plays even if he doesn't play well.

The main problem with him has always his been he's not looked much of a goal threat but now he's started to add goals to his game I'd have few doubts about playing him for England. I actually think if Kane was out there'd be a strong argument he would probably be the best direct replacement for him. So much of what Kane does for England is his work with his back to goal and DCL of all the options is probably our best option for that.

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Woah woah woah...they're not out yet. Have some faith

21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Saka is really looking the part. I would call him up for the next squad. Another assist

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think Southgate will go with Chillwell and Shaw as his left back options even though I’m not against giving a call up to Saka but more likely he ( if he accepts the call ) will be in the U21’s with Williams I would imagine. I think it would be odd if Saka only makes the U19 Squad though, think he’s outgrown that age group already plus we need to keep hold of our best left back options as don’t have the depth unlike right backs.

roverman repped this.
  23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I dont want to sound like a stuck record but I'm worried that Nigeria are sniffing around him too much. I will be furious if we lose another zaha situation

24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    1. Chilwell 2. Shaw 3. Saka imo.

Shaw just edging Saka due to experience and defensive nous (which is much needed.)

25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Especially given he can play LB , left wing back or left winger

roverman repped this.