England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Needs to stay at Dortmund for at least one more season imo, he’s flourishing there and will only get better. Such a good platform for him to continue to develop and don’t see what the rush is to get him back in English football.

roverman repped this.
  2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mount and Abraham are not good enough to start, but we may have no choice with Tammy

mount would kill us if we are pressed

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Grealish every time ahead of mount

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think Abraham will be just fine, especially in the long run, he’s just having a slight dip in form. I wouldn’t be overly concerned if he was starting for us especially if we have the supply line giving him chances.

5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For me, Abraham has the skills to be world class and I think Mount has his limits. He's still got what it takes to be an England international though, but right now his form suggests he isn't. Too many people are too quick to judge.

Grealish right now is miles better than Mount and many other decent midfielders.

roverman repped this.
  6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He’s scored 4 goals in the last 14 games and they were against
    Villa , Lille , Arsenal and Burnley .

Nuff said

7. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    22 points behind and STILL no sign of Pep starting Foden and that’s with BOTH Silvas on the bench ..

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Foden is wasted at city

9. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Tanganga played well again. Very much a defensive full back at the moment.

Sam1010 repped this.
  10. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    At this rate, I genuinely think Foden could have Guardiola at gunpoint and he would still dig his heels in and refuse to give him game time. I understand David Silva having credit in the bank but Gundogan is no frills and underwhelming from what I see of him.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  11. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    To be honest its on Foden as much as anyone. If he wants to reach his potential he has to be the one driving for it - to be world class is part talent, a lot of drive. Someone like Sancho has the drive, he went out searching for football and found rthe best environment to progress in. He could easily find himself in a position where he's 21 and

With Foden the signs are he quite likes being in his comfort zone. Not gonna kick up a fuss, not asking for loans. Which makes it easy for his manager to pay lip service that of course, one day he's going to be in the team, just not now. There's basically no signs Foden is actually the guy intended to pick up Silva's minutes and indeed you'd expect a much more even split between Silva and Foden's game time if that was the case so alarm bells should be ringing in the Foden camp, but I guess the reaction at the end of the season will be telling. Even if they don't actively replace Silva i'm pretty skeptical Foden will particularly be the beneficiary. Bernardo Silva hasn't played a great deal in the centre for them this season and is by far the more likely candidate to take most those minutes.

And hey, not everyone is motivated to be the best they can be. He'll still make millions and live a extremely comfortable life winning medals doing what he's doing, staying close to his family and friends. Indeed i'd say that's a much more common mindset than the few who really go on to the elite tiers. Can't really blame someone for choosing that option either.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  12. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    I thought Winks played well yesterday. I think what's interesting is that Henderson's form and the emergence of Grealish + continued development of Maddison, AOC coming back and hopefully Winks getting on a roll, means our midfield looks a lot better now than it did in the Autumn. Unfortunately however, just as things look up in that area of the pitch, it's balanced out by the fact we suddenly look depleted in the final third due to the injuries and Sterling's recent malaise.

13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That’s a great point about Foden being ‘comfortable’ !!

Great life , no pressures ... loved by everyone ..

It may be a trait that prevents him being a real top level player ..

14. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He's a life long Manchester City fan and he's got arguably the best manager in the world telling him that he thinks he's amazing and his dreams will come true if he'll only be patient. I don't think we can draw too many conclusions about the difference between him and Sancho based on how their careers have gone so far, they didn't truly start in the same position.

Sam1010 and IGSpur repped this.
  15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hopefully loftus cheek coming back too

16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Played a reserve game for Chelsea. Hopefully cheek is still in contention because talent wise the lad has it all

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1225068526291034112 is not a valid tweet id

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Sam1010 repped this.
  19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Guardiola says sterling is out for weeks, hope it's not another curse

20. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    Ox will start in midfield if he's fit.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ox really only offers an offensive threat

his ball winning and reading of the game and his passing is average

I would rather have winks Henderson and either Graelish or Maddison

we need players who can move the ball

W.A.S.P., roverman and TopBanana10 repped this.
  22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It’s never good news when a guy who’s totally reliant on his speed starts with hamstring injuries ...

Didn’t this happen to Giggsy in his younger days ?

23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    The euros attacking trio are going to end up being grealish sancho and abraham at this rate

24. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Barring them getting injured again it doesn't seem at this point that Kane and Rashford won't be back well in advance of the Euro's. England have certainly had problems before of taking unfit players to tournament, but it seems like both will be back before the end of the season which should be plenty of time to get up to match fitness. Basically the same length of time as pre-season lasts.

roverman repped this.
  25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I keep saying this. I'm pretty confident that kane and rashford will both be available. Its the English media making a crisis out of nothing concerning injuries