England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Maguire is a top defender

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Sorry to hear that.

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Thanks. Hes been in 2 months. Pneumonia on his lungs and a blockage

4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    How far ahead of the other home nations do u think we are? I think we are at least 3 or 4 levels ahead of the rest. Scotland are poor. Wales are nowhere near as good as welsh people think they are. N Ireland are plucky team. The republic team is probably the worst in a long time

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Problem I envisage with the system is that the players in the AOC and Mount roles often play very high up and play too many risky passes in key areas. Maybe it’s the opposition we are playing but it seems naive.

Still the pace of play is so much better when we drop Rice and Henderson.

6. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Lightyears ahead, put very simply. I can't think of any home nations players I'd want other than Robertson. I'd have obviously taken Bale a few years ago but these days his attitude stinks and his performances in the last 18 months don't even put him in the same sentence as Sterling. The ROI team is very ordinary like you say, the rest of the Scottish team is awful, Wales aren't up to much and Northern Ireland, whilst a plucky, likeable side, let's face it are lacking in quality.

roverman repped this.
  7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    What sort of team do we think he will play Vs Kosovo. Hope tomori and maddison get full debuts. Henderson in goal.

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    To be honest in think chillwell is better. He has the same qualities that Robertson has but he's also better on the ball

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  9. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I think hes portently as good if not better than Robertson.But at the minute I think Robertson is more proven at a higher level.

TitoTata repped this.
  10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's pretty much a dead game for us, but it'll be entertaining because Kosovo play a very attacking style. I hope Maddison and Tomori start with Winks still getting another game.

roverman repped this.
  11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It's hard to feel comfortable with Stones at the back. He just doesn't seem like he takes any pride in defending at all, the instinct isn't there and he just (at best) goes through the motions as if defending is a necessary evil that he has to get through in order to start playing football again. To me the Maguire/Mings combination was the most imposing I've seen in a while for England.

ht_hu96 repped this.
  12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Robertson is better than chillwell

but chillwell is young and coming very good

13. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I'd like to see something like this...

Henderson/Pope - Rose - Mings - Gomez - Trippier - Winks - Henderson - Maddison - Sterling - Kane - CHO

Also Tomori get decent minutes off the bench.

roverman repped this.
  14. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Gomez and Jordan Henderson will miss the game.

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    As a result of the boo boys I’m guessing? Maybe in Henderson’s case it’s about just having a rest for a while but in Gomez case it’s probably different, his head is probably not in the right place as apparently he was devastated about being booed.

16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Morons as usual ruining everything. Hope gomez makes himself available in the future

17. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wish fans could learn to separate club from International football, because what is the point in supporting England if all you do is boo rival team players. I support Arsenal but I would never boo, Kane or Winks or any other teams players when they play for England.

W.A.S.P., roverman and TopBanana10 repped this.
  18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Apparently Henderson has a viral infection that hasn’t cleared up and Gomez took a knock to the knee in training on Friday.

19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Would be a good time to call Foden up to the seniors. If his development goes as expected then he shouldn't be in Boothroyd's long term plans anyway.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I do agree with what you say as I separate Club football from International football but I think in this case it’s more about Sterling fans booing Gomez rather than booing Liverpool players as can’t recall TAA or AOC being booed.

21. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Agree I'd like to see Tomori. Guess Henderson is a no now. Tbh though as I've said on here a few times before, I just want to see Southgate pick what he envisages as his first choice back 4 for next summer. I understand he wants to get a look at everyone, but it's more important that the first choice back 4 start a run of games together to build the partnerships and understanding. Otherwise, we're going to be in an even worse state defensively than we are currently.

22. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I believe the Henderson injury, but the Gomez one is BS, because they have just taken him out of the firing line

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If Southgate has Tomori in his plans for next Summer then he has to start tomorrow’s game imo. He needs to get some experience at senior International level otherwise it could be a baptism of fire if all of a sudden he’s needed to start next Summer and not gained any experience.

Sam1010 and roverman repped this.
  24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Tomori and Maguire at the back

Gaz811 repped this.
  25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Think you need a pacey defender with Maguire. When him and Stones got isolated high up the pitch the other night and Montenegro got a run on goal their recovery pace was worrying.

ht_hu96 repped this.