England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Now that we've had chance to see him play full games instead of MOTD highlights the AWB bandwagon has slowed. The opposite is true of Reece James.

roverman repped this.
  2. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Tbh I've been disappointed with him. Whilst it wasn't much of a secret last season that his game was very much lopsided in terms of being a defender over a more attack minded option, I thought at United he'd come on a lot in that sense. Unfortunately though I feel if anything his limitations in that part of the game have just been amplified by playing in a side like United. Can't help being coached by Solskjaer mind as he looks like the most dull, uninspiring and clueless manager in the league. I actually can't think of a worse manager relative to their resources in the premier league.

roverman repped this.
  3. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    To be fair to him, he's only been there about three months.

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I've seen 100% of his minutes for United and he's an exceptional defensive full back, probably the best I've seen. He's had a couple of bad games and his lack of attacking quality is evident. I'm not sticking up for a player of a team that I support here either as I'm not sure that United should have signed an exclusively defensive full back for that kind of money, especially when Shaw is a defensive full back too. I still maintain that AWB would be invaluable in knockout games in major tournaments.

Sam1010 repped this.
  5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think shaw is offensive not defensive

6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It’s crazy for a professional footballer working at his lofty level has constant weight issues though !

7. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Any word on Harry Winks?

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hoping grealish maddison and odoi get called up. Also like to see tomori play some part. I think sancho will be fit. Some great attacking options not to mention rashford kane and abraham plus sterling. Best attacking options for a while.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  10. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
  11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Delph gets in, who is shit but grealish doesn't. Yeah ok. Other than that a strong squad

12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Delph's playing as a DM. Grealish obviously isn't. It makes no sense to view them as alternatives.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I’m surprised that CHO is back in tbh even though he did have a decent run out against Ajax the other night but hadn’t previously done enough for me since returning from injury so would have had him in the U21’s still to help him get back up to speed.

No Grealish, I’m gonna presume he’s still injured anyway but surprised that Mount is there, really thought the knock he got against Ajax might have kept him out or maybe suggest to Southgate to rest him tbh.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see quite a few drop outs though, quite a few of these guys are carry injuries or only just returned to fitness.

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    So he’s dropped Keane completely after giving him five recent competitive starts? We are supposed to be planning for a tournament and this guy wastes so much time. Probably end up with Rice and Henderson in midfield again to see if they have learned to pass from deep.

15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    No Dele, Keane, Walker, or Lingard, by the way. Anyone else missing?

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Anyone know what the numbers indicate under the players names and why Maddison and Tomori haven’t got these numbers?

17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Presumably order of first caps since 1872.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  18. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Henderson is suspended for the first game so Winks might get another chance.

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Oh good shout!

20. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    The absence of Grealish is my only real complaint, although as Barry said why he wasted time picking Keane for consecutive games is beyond me.

Gaz811 repped this.
  21. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Still a few positions that aren't ideal, but the depth is nice and it's weird for us to be able to leave very good players out and there be an argument that it's the right call.

dbs235 and roverman repped this.
  22. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    On Grealish, Southgate stated that he wouldn’t hesitate to bring him in if there were any injury issues this weekend. Presumably in reference to Mount, Barkley and Sancho.

23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Southgate said grealish is up against sterling odoi and rashford I notice no mention of sancho. Does that mean hes very doubtful

24. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    What annoyed me about that comment was how he included CHO. I can understand Grealish has work to do to match Sterling and Rashford, if he's gonna be starting as one of the front 3. However, CHO has literally played only a handful of games up to now in his career and has been in poor form recently albeit is coming back from a bad injury. Don't get me wrong I really like and rate CHO as a talent, but Southgate is talking him up like he's proved miles more than Grealish and that he's some sort of seasoned veteran. Not only is this inaccurate, it's also dangerous from a man management pov as it could make CHO feel he's already made it and his position in the squad when fit is secure already. I know I may get accused of being over the top here, but I do feel irked by these comments from Southgate.

W.A.S.P., Sam1010 and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Surely we should be working on viable tournament options, not mucking about with ultra-attacking set-ups that we already know we won't use against any half-decent side.