England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    And it was at Dortmund's stadium. He was ok. Second half got into it more. Won a penalty. Outclassed griezman, was pretty good

2. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought he played within himself, he looked like he was just trying not to make a mistake. For all the swagger against the lesser teams, he does have a tendency to be overly respectful of the opposition in the big games. He needs to start taking games by the scruff of the neck more, because the talent is all there.

roverman repped this.
  3. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He was just another player to mind .. certainly didn’t stand out from the crowd

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He plays like this in most games. As I mentioned previously he is a moments player. Most of the time he plays relatively conservatively, especially when the game is tight and competitive, which is why his passing stats are so high. He doesn't overplay and makes the right decision more often than not and I think that's one of his strengths actually. Last night he was involved in the early stages of most of Dortmund's best moves because he will play the simple ball to a better positioned player rather than trying to force the issue himself.

This is why I was surprised when people thought he is the kind of player to be tearing the opposition a new arsehole for 90 minutes.

5. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    He really is the type of player to tear the opposition a new ah for 90 mn tbh. He cannot show his full potential on the right as he's naturally a left winger who likes to come inside and dribble, difficult to do that on the right for a right footed player. But I'm pretty sure he will end up on the left

6. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Which is a problem, because Sterling and Hudson-Odoi both better on the left too.

sharpovic repped this.
  7. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I disagree. He's a lot more considered and intelligent than that. His strength is his football intelligence more than anything, he doesn't waste the ball often and makes optimum decisions more often that not. If the game is stretched he'll turn on the boosters but what's exceptional about him is how productive he is whilst looking after the ball as well.

Sam1010 repped this.
  8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hudson odoi is an unknown after that injury

I have hopes he’s the English messi but let’s not pretend he’s currently ahead of sancho

9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know why people see him as a left winger. I watch almost every Dortmund game and he's far more effective on the right. The vision of him as someone who beats his man, cuts inside and curls one in is something he might threaten once in a blue moon, but it's definitely not his forte. He's much better on the other side where he can dribble inside to find the killer pass, outside to find the cross, or attack the space to receive the ball for a shot on his right foot. It's definitely not the more unnatural position for him.

10. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    You can’t predict where he’ll end up playing. Football constantly evolving.

Could see more players on their natural side with fullbacks underlapping.

11. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    #5161 sharpovic, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Mostly because he played on the left all his life. It was at youth level but there's a reason why he played there and made his reputation. Started there for Dortmund too and did very well. And dribbling is definitely his forte, which he cannot really do on the right - or at least not like he could on the other side. Like most modern wingers this limits his game as it's harder to turn face the game, and often forced to lose the ball when he comes inside. I don't mind him playing on the right, this is good for his development and nobody else can play there for Dortmund, but this certainly doesn't mean he can't play on the left. Long term he'll play in his most natural position IMO

ps : I watch every dortmund game too and he only plays 5 mn here and 10 mn there on the left, rarely long enough to find his rythm. Sample too small

12. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    He's very intelligent indeed and has incredible end product, which is why he adapted his game very well ever since he was given the right winger spot

13. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    True, but it's also a strength. CHO clearly doesn't like the right, while Sterling can do both. Great to have those 3

roverman repped this.
  14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Harry winks hasnt misplaced a pass yet for spurs. How he didnt get a game last week i will never know. He reminds me of xavi, the way he keeps the ball moving

sharpovic repped this.
  15. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Are he and rice the exact same sort of player?

16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I thought rice was a defensive midfielder. Winks is more of a ball player

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Winks is much better with the ball

18. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Could England have both playing at the same time or is that too defensive?

19. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Foden not in the squad this evening even?

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Stomach bug apparently

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Other than scoring the penalty, Kane has had a very quiet game imo by his standards.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Winks had a good game in a pretty awful overall team performance. He’s started the season pretty well from what I have seen.

roverman repped this.
  23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Looks like he found the little burst to evade pressure he had before his injury nightmare.

Sam1010 and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah man of the match for me.

roverman and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  25. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Did Kane have a good game in this year?