England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Shaw still has time to prove he's world class if he lives up to his potential while it's not totally clear if Sessegnon will be a winger instead of a LB. Surely he has to pick LB concerning his England ambitions because he's got a long shot to overtake Sancho and Hudson-Odoi, not to mention Curtis Jones and several other older players. At LB he's already one of the best in our entire pool of players.

2. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I personally think he is more of a Wing back rather than an orthodox LB, or a traditional winger like Sancho or Odoi, and if Southgate continues with the current system, having both Sessegnon at LWB and Sancho or Odoi playing In the role that Sterling is currently doing, once they get enough experience they will give any team panic attacks.

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It effectively feels like Utd have got a new player in Shaw this season, he looks super fit compared to the previous season and if he’s as sharp as he looks it should be a good season for him for both Utd and England especially if he can get the pre injury form. Let’s see if Mourinho gives him another shot or has he already made his mind up about him, in which case it could be another wasted season.

4. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think you've forgotten A-A at RB. He should be able to step right in for Young.

5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Young is a LB.

imasyko repped this.
  6. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apparently Luke Shaw is up for sale

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    What rotten luck! Hope he comes back stronger.

Can’t stand seeing people on social media ( a lot of Arsenal fans ) making jokes about this! It’s not a pleasant injury and rehabilitation is tough. I should know having done both cruciates due to football! It’s a bitch of an injury and by the sounds of it his must be even worse..

9. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    I saw this. So aweful. Poor guy. I felt like he was starting to really motor. Would have loved to have seen him at the world cup

10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Damn! It's almost improbable now he'll won't be as good as he was. Can't see him being selected for the Euros unless he totally commits himself getting back in shape and then some by the 2019-2020 season. He will have been off the "train" for far too long.

11. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah probably the prime of his career over if true and just as he was looking to have figured his game out. I remember as a kid Redondo (who I loved) going through a similar situation, he was never the same again.

12. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He's 24, he shouldn't be written off yet.

13. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Serious Injuries can wreck a players career . You only have to look at the great Brazilian striker Ronaldo . He was only a shadow of the player he was when he came back after a long lay off.

Chamberlains whole game is dependent on pace and running at players . If he comes back without his pace he will become a mid table premier league player at best .

He doesn't have any real footballing intelligence or a passing game to fall back on.

14. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Mourinho is destroying this kids career . He should be the best full back in the premier league . I think he needs to move away from Man United . He needs a manager that believes in him.

15. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't think Southgate has any real appreciation for midfielders at all . People talk about Southgate been a progressive manager but whats progressive about playing three ball playing defenders at the back if they can't defend and Jordan Henderson in midfield .

Another myth about Southgate is that he promotes youth and played a young team . Correct me if I am wrong but the only youth players he played were Ali and Rashford .

All the others were in their mid to late twenties . I think the average age of the squad was 26 or something .

Also people say that Southgate didn't have any midfielders to bring but he left Will Hughes, Jack Wilshere and Jonjoe Shelvey at home .

While none of them are world beaters . Its the best that England have at the moment and all three would have offered far more against Croatia than Ali, lLinguard and Henderson.

16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, it was 26.0, which gave us the second youngest squad out of the thirty-two squads at the World Cup. The starting eleven had about the same average age. Southgate's also involved quite a few under-21s who didn't make the squad in Gomez, Cook, Abraham, Solanke, Gunn and so on. I'm not sure why you think it's a myth that he's played a young team?

M and wellno repped this.
  17. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    ChristianSur got in their first on the age thing but on the three midfielders you've listed - all had big question marks over them either for fitness or attitude and their inclusion/exclusion has been done to death on here.

18. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really hope that goes through. I think Grealish might have more quality than Dele. Either way you hope to expect that both will push each other for the starting spot.

19. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He is far more talented player than Ali . I am still baffled as to why people think Ali is an amazingly talented player . Even pundits in my country are drooling over his talent . I don't get it.

I am not saying Ali is a bad player, he is a good premier league player but he is no where near a player like Modric, de bruyne , silva, pogba etc . I would even have jonjo shelvey ahead of him.

Pundits say he will improve a lot but know I don't know where he can . He has quite a limited skill set . He has no pace , he can't go past players , doesn't have great close control, average passing ability . His only strength is his striking ability of a football and his high scoring ability for an attacking midfielder. He scored a lot of goals in his breakthrough season with spurs but I think that is aone off . I don't think he is going become a goal scoring machine like Lampard .

Grealish on the other hand is a very special player . The kid is special . I haven't seen an English player dribble with the ball like he does since Gascoigne. He has quick feet , great close control, incredible vision and awareness. The only think lacking in his game is his shooting .

As well as Grealish, Will Hughes is a special talent . Why a player of his ability is playing with Watford I don't know .

Lewis Cook is another . Both those guys can play in midfield and link things up . I am baffled that Southgate didn't take them to the world cup.

20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    christ.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  21. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017