England Senior Squad-general Discussions Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Really ?
    He got ridiculed for his commentating a while ago and I haven't heard him since ..are you thinking of his brother Gary who IS an excellent pundit and commenter ..IMHO

2. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #9027 The Guardian, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    His comments about not being able to make a cup of instant coffee (because he'd never had to do it before) didn't help my perception of him. Particularly as he had such a self satisfied smile on his face when he spoke about it. Explaining his wife always made the coffee. That wouldn't of course explain the times she wasn't there. And before he met her.

It doesn't take a lot to put me off some "celebs" these days. That commentator (with the very recognisable voice) covering the Chelsea game (again) the other night who always insists on pronouncing Oscar as if it is two words Os Car, needs a slap. At least someone, the producer perhaps, should have a word. Particularly if he's doing it for a bet.

3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah that's the one.

4. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    at least you dont have to listen to same comm called Rojo .... Roco for 90 minutes.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  6. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Wasn't expecting that, really interesting news - wonder how it will effect his England role leading up to Euro 2016.

7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    The BBC article says:

"The 40-year-old, who will take charge officially on Sunday, will remain part of the England coaching set-up."

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Roy Hodgson welcomes Gary Neville's Valencia appointment

The FA has welcomed the news that England Senior Men's Coach Gary Neville has been appointed Head Coach for Valencia Club de Futbol.

Neville will continue his work with England Manager Roy Hodgson and Coach Ray Lewington as the England squad prepare for Euro 2016 in France.

Hodgson said: “I'm delighted that Gary has decided to take this excellent opportunity. It's the right moment in time for him and I'm 100 per cent behind his decision to join Valencia as the new head coach.

“As far as I’m concerned, this will be an extra string to his bow and the experience he will gain working in the Spanish league can only be beneficial to our work together with the England team.

“Gary’s commitment to The FA’s preparations for Euro 2016 will not be in any way affected by the fact that he will be coaching abroad during the next five months.

"As someone who has spent a large part of my coaching career working abroad, I salute his decision and hope he gains as much from his time in Spain as I have done from the various countries which I have worked.

"Like the rest of the England coaching staff, Gary will be fully committed to preparing for the Euros in France and our friendly matches which begin in March against Germany and Holland.

"I wish him and his brother Phil the very best of luck as they prepare for their first match versus Lyon in the Champions League."

The former Manchester United and England defender recently completed his Pro Licence course at St. George's Park and will join his brother Phil in Spain on the coaching staff of the La Liga club.

Phil Neville has recently worked with the England Under-21s and U17s men's teams.

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/england/2...inted-valencia-head-coach#b38qtPiUoMzddJw9.99

J'can, Marcho Gamgee and ChristianSur repped this.
  9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It is a bold move. Doesn't speak Spanish and there for the short term. Will be a great experience. Very interested to see how it goes.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    672034887453511682 is not a valid tweet id

sinner78 and zXen repped this.
  11. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Neville's tactical knowledge will be put to the test. Even if he doesnt get the job beyond this season it can only benefit our setup.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    it's certainly gonna be interesting to see the Neville brothers in charge of a top La Liga team and even more interesting to see what happens between Barca and Valencia :)

13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Gary doesn't start managing them until after the Barça match. His first game is against Lyon in the Champions League.

14. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Very surprised by this. Thought he might start his coaching career at a club of a smaller stature. I hope this works out for Gary N.

15. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    It's a really odd appointment.

Can you imagine the reaction if say Everton appointed a Spanish Tv pundit as manager?

W.A.S.P. and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  16. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Villa appointed a French TV pundit.
    He previously had a position but flopped big time.

17. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Gary did say he had a big decision to make "in 18 months" - it came quicker than I thought and hadn't considered him going abroad but some enterprising owner has made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Mind you I expect many lesser men would have done a Hansen. Presumably when Roy gets the chop Gary can swap over and take the England job, unless he prefers the United job next. (He can't afford this job to be a disaster though)

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Isn't there a connection between Salford City and Valencia, I think the owner of Valencia also has some financial backing for the Utd lads at Salford so it probably loses a bit of credibility as its kind of like giving a job to a mate but good luck to Neville, hope he does well.

19. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He (Peter Lim) bought 50% of the shares in the club from the Class of 92 lot yeah.

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Lucky beggar :)

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He's got got a wealth of experience though and he's assistant manager for England ....plus there's loads of ex- players who went straight into managing and were successful ...

22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014

I just hope we get Andy Gray back on Sky :)

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I thought he did ok at Lyon?

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC