England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    The last time Ramsdale was in goal for England he let in 4. We wouldn't even be questioning this if Pickford played for a top 6 team. I've said it before David Seaman has made more mistakes for England than Pickford.

JAMC_, hussar and roverman repped this.
  2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Pickford all the way. Ramsdale was at fault for united's second goal

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Pickford doesn’t play for a top 6 team though. Ramsdale is likely to be starting CL games next season. Don’t see how it’s fair to place a black mark on Ramsdale for that Hungary game either.

4. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    I also agree that Pickford should remain our number 1 given his performances for England. I do however, think Rashford underlines why it is so important for Southgate to get the balance right between picking on club form, and picking based on previous performances for England and/or players he likes.

With every passing week, I feel more and more frustrated with how limited a role he had at the World Cup. I genuinely think he would’ve tipped the scales against France and been the key to us capitalising on our periods of superiority, but now we’ll never know.

I do think Southgate is better than a lot of managers in this regard, but he still gets some choices wrong and this particular one now looks really costly.

roverman repped this.
  5. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    But Pickford isn't a weakness. If he'd been throwing in the net every game fair enough. You going to drop Kane for Nketiah because Spurs won't make CL.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    lol Pickford and Ramsdale is obviously far closer debate. Pickford has done very well for England but he’s not this complete goalkeeper that is undroppable.

7. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Of course hes not undroppable but Ramsdale isn't a Shilton or a Buffon.

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He likely is undroppable if we are waiting for the next Buffon to show up.

Either way it’s good to finally have a keeper placed in the pressurised situation of a title challenge. It’s this experience that is really beneficial.

9. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Would be a shock if he's not.

Bigger question with him is whether he keeps his place in the Arsenal team when Jesus is back

I think there were a few raised eyebrows when he stayed with Arsenal, but he's in the team on merit now for me

roverman repped this.
  10. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Good to have some obvious pressure on Pickford for his place as well.

BarryfromEastenders and roverman repped this.
  11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nketiah is a natural goal scorer and started to show better ability in build up with good work rate

if he’s not in the squad, Southgate is a moron

also, ramsdale is a much better keeper than Pickford

roverman repped this.
  12. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    He's scored 4 goals in the premier this season in addition to previous seasons of 5 goals, and 2 goals.

Let's hope this is Nketiah's big breakthrough and he proves it but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves either. Nketiah has never done anything before to prove he should be in the squad and its going to take more than 4 goals to do it now. Let's hope he continues in this vein because we could sorely do with a genuine Kane alternative - indeed allowing Kane to play deeper like Griezmann did is probably our most likely way forward. But Nketiah needs to prove its more than flash in the pan.

hussar repped this.
  13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m not saying he’s the finished article but he’s shown good signs in his development and seems a great goal scorer at every level he’s played at

his build up has improved massively

14. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Hard to justify calling up Nketiah and not Balogun, and would be a bit crazy to call up both.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Balogan is doing well but it’s the French league

Nketiah is doing it for the side at the top of the premier league and scoring against top 6 aides

Gaz811 repped this.
  16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    French league is lower in quality but the talent does well on epl when they come. I would be more concerned about Serie A or Bundesliga. Ademola was a monster in both leagues as an example.

Balogun, would be too soon? But that said england need new FWs. Watkins for me is meh. DCL is limited but I guess he needs coaching he is a 9 and great in the air. Broja is out. Greenwood is done. Why not give the Nketiahs, Baloguns a shot?

17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Always said rashford has the same ability as mbappe. Now he's showing it

18. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Notice how good gibbs White has been too? He's been sensational recently.
    Wonder if he will be in contention for England.

roverman repped this.
  19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    bit of a stretch

Jenks repped this.
  20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hes got the same level of ability

21. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    When hes on form Rashford looks a lot like Mbappe. The difference is Mbappe looks like Mbappe a 100% of the time.

roverman repped this.
  22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Not saying rashford is as good as. Mbappe is a machine. But he undoubtedly has the same amount of ability

23. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think most people would doubt that.

24. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Mbappe is so much physically stronger, faster and more dynamic than Rashford that such comparisons make no sense.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rashford is really good

mbappe is the best player in the world right now