England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    He seems more confident in his passing

2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    That was a cracking through ball in the first half that many midfield greats would be proud of.

roverman repped this.
  3. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Colwill coming through for us would be huge, it'd be transformative for the side in terms of what he potentially brings. Maguire has been a great servant but its a hindrance to the side having to play Walker in an attempt to provide more covering and Colwill is a potentially and Colwill's passing really is elite level.

I think we'd be one central midfielder off having a "complete" side if Colwill would develop. As much as today showed Colwill's talents, it also showed Henderson is increasingly creaking....really don't think he'll be at the level required come the Euro's in 18 months.

AJ123 and roverman repped this.
  4. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I wouldn't bet on it.

5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think rice and Bellingham have shown they have a good understanding. Maybe we need a deep lying playmaker but Argentina didn't possess one of those and they're world champions

AJ123 repped this.
  6. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    There's also the curious case of Luke Shaw to consider. He's currently excelling at left centre back for United. He's previously played well at LCB in a back five for United too. He's very talented on the ball. Ten Hag like all Dutch managers insist on having a left footed centre back that can play football as they feel it is crucial to the flow of a team. I wonder if Southgate would be brave enough to play him there. If Chilwell is fit then it seems a real option.

Agree on Maguire. I think he's approaching a downward trajectory in his career. He's 5th choice for United now, he gets brought on at the end of games to defend the box from crosses! With Colwill and possibly Shaw offering a left footed option in his position it seems that his England career is heading south too. I would say though, for all the stick Maguire gets he's been pretty much superb for England.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  7. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Maguire was made a scapegoat for a lot of Man utd problems. If I was him I'd leave Man utd in the summer.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He can still do very well for a team that plays with a three I think.

9. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He was absolutely terrible last season but the abuse he's received has been beyond the pale. I think he needs to leave for the good of his career. He's not getting his place back at United unfortunately.

roverman repped this.
  10. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Man Utd were terrible last season. Rashford was as bad if not worse than Maguire last season, look at him now.

11. What happened?

12. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Hes scored 8 goals in 8 games.

13. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    He was poor last season due to personal problems but he's back to his best now

14. Glad for him.

AJ123, roverman and Gaz811 repped this.
  15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018

hussar repped this.
  16. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I think the only slight issue that I'd have with Colwill in the seniors is that it would mean that he likely wouldn't go to the u21 Euros this summer which would be a big miss for the team.

It's encouraging that Colwill is good in the air. A lot of centre backs that can play a bit seem to be weak in that department.

I'm not sure that Maguire really has the upside that Rashford does. He has significant limitations. He's better suited to international football.

17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    This is one reason I'm glad Southgate stayed on. His openness in giving youngsters a chance

18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Crazy that Chelsea spending 120 million on two young defenders when this guy could easily be as good as them.

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It would be annoying for Colwill to miss out on U21 preparation but the senior team takes precedence. Looking at the schedule and CB’s available he should be in this next squad. Probably a space for Nketiah and a new CM option too.

roverman repped this.
  20. JAMC_

JAMC_ Member

England
    Jul 4, 2022
    Normally it annoys me when U21 players move up to the senior squad just to be a squad filler but I feel differently about Colwill. He already looks like the real deal and it’s important to get him involved sooner rather than later.

roverman repped this.
  21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    The under 21 tournament isn't close to important compared to bedding in the next generation of players. I can't see us going far In the summer anyway

22. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I've not watched levi colwill much this season. Can anybody fill me in on why he's so highly rated? Been reading that he's in consideration for a call up in March.
    Is he something we've been missing in the England team?

23. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's a left footed centre back for a start. We've only had Tyronne Mings in that vein in recent years. It's hard to argue that having a left footed centre back at left centre back doesn't help with the balance of the team. He's also very good at playing out from the back quickly, which is where Maguire holds you back. He plays some fantastic passes between the lines in most games. He's pretty good in the air as well, which is important at international level.

roverman and Iansutton270390 repped this.
  24. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Sounds like it's something that we really need. I'll have to keep an eye on him.
    Let's hope he lives up to his potential and doesn't go full John stones on us.

25. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I think Stones is pretty underrated and goes under the radar. I don't think there's many centre backs in the world more rounded than him, he's a pretty complete player these days. His main issue is keeping fit at City, although he's been pretty reliable in that respect for England.

I'd hope we can get at least another couple of tournaments at him at peak level.

Gomez is the one that got away for me, he always look destined to be a world class centre back but serious injuries got in the way. He never really recovered from the last one and has looked a shadow of himself since bar fleeting moments.

roverman and Iansutton270390 repped this.