England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Five now.

2. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Haaland has given Mengi PTSD

3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Guehi might be back this weekend.

If Gomez or Dier are recalled they couid play instead of Dunk.

4. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    His inclusion will come down to how popular he is on social media I guess.

5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Barkley is the Luton player getting the must be taken to the Euros treatment tonight.

roverman repped this.
  6. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Poor guy. Can't get a break. Pep basically said in a press conference he needs to put more effort in. He gets a start but is injured.

7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Solanke with a possible knee injury

8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Oh no.

9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #12984 Fireburn47, Feb 28, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2024

10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Arsenal's concern over the injury record of Brazil forward Gabriel Jesus, 26, is a factor in their striker search, with Brentford's Ivan Toney, 27, Napoli's Victor Osimhen, 25, Bologna's Joshua Zirkzee, 22, and Sporting's Viktor Gyokeres, 25, among options considered. (Mail)

Erik ten Hag and Marcus Rashford are barely on speaking terms as the pressure mounts on the Manchester United boss. (The Sun)

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #12986 Fireburn47, Feb 28, 2024

Bad news.

12. KHSAFC

KHSAFC Member

Sunderland
    England
    Feb 12, 2023
    All our injuries seem to be in defence at the moment. It’s not ideal at all.

13. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    While not ideal, this one isn't a massive disaster. Eight weeks would take us to April 24th which would mean he'd still have four Premier League games to get back up to speed at the end of the season in addition to any minutes he gets against Bosnia and Iceland prior to the Euros. On a personal level his place in the squad is very secure so I'm not concerned for him there.

With Konsa also out and Maguire picking up an injury now I think there's a decent chance Branthwaite gets a senior call-up. Tomori is back in Milan training so he could be fit enough to come back in. Could be something like: Stones, Dunk, Tomori, Branthwaite & Colwill for the next squad if Maguire & Konsa don't come back in time.

roverman repped this.
  14. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I'd be interested to see a Stones Colwill/Branthwaite pairing.

Gaz811, Port Vale Fan, roverman and 2 others repped this.
  15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I feel while Branthwaite would be a sensible option recalling Gomez (Due to his flexibility) and/or Dier is more likely.

16. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Colwill's been back to centre back in his last couple of games against as tough opposition as he'll face and done well (in my opinion....), I'd like to see him start with Stones. I've long believed his passing ability would give us an extra dimension. His reputation has taken a bit of a hit this season what with playing left back so much, and Chelsea being dysfunctional in general but i'd have a lot of hopes in a much more organised England side he's still capable of being a real asset in what he brings to the side.

Gaz811, Port Vale Fan, hussar and 3 others repped this.
  17. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    #12992 horrisengleton, Feb 28, 2024
    I think there's a lot to be said for a Stones/Branthwaite partnership. Branthwaite is a more natural left-sided CB than Maguire and can mirror his size while also bringing an element of pace that we otherwise lack in that position with a Stones/Maguire partnership - not that Stones is slow, but he's not that quick either. I think it's really something Southgate should look at.

I don't actually think Dier is that likely. His Bayern career got off to a promising start but he's come under fire a fair bit for recent performances.

Port Vale Fan and roverman repped this.
  18. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Yeah, I think Levi Colwill has more than served his apprenticeship now. Let's see him making those clever, incisive passes through the lines alongside John Stones.

The only reason for Southgate to choose a more experienced centre back like Dunk l guess, would be if he was tempted to play Stones in his hybrid Man City defender/midfielder role. Something which, again, could help to give England an edge we haven't had before.

Port Vale Fan and roverman repped this.
  19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It all comes down to if Southgate wants those in form but inexperienced like Branthwaite and Colwill vs not in good form but having experience like Dier.

20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

Konsa back in training.

roverman and horrisengleton repped this.
  21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Gilchrist. Chalobah, Madueke and Sterling start for Chelsea. Palmer, Chilwell, Gallagher, Colwill, Samuels - Smith, Murray - Campbell and Harrison are on the bench.
    Gray, Anthony and Joseph start for Leeds. Cresswell, Bamford, Shackleton and Byram are on the bench.

Toffolo, Yates and Gibbs - White start for Nottingham Forest. Hudson - Odoi and Gardner on the bench.
    Rashford starts for Manchester United. Mainoo, Forson, Collyer and Ogunneye are on the bench.

Kilman and Doyle start for Wolves. Dawson, Bentley. Chirewa and (Fraser) are on the bench.
    Steele and Dunk start for Brighton. Webster, Lallana, Welbeck, Offiah and Baker - Boaitey are on the bench.

Gomez, Quansah, Clark, McConnell and Elliott start for Liverpool. Scanlon, Gordon, Nallo, Danns and Nyoni are on the bench.
    Lumley, Bree, Stephens, Rothwell and Edozie start for Leeds. McCarthy, Walker - Peters, A Armstrong, Harwood - Bellis, Amo - Ameyaw, Meghoma and Dibling are on the bench.

22. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Is playing as a DM against Southampton this evening.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I’ve been following Chelsea v Leeds but apparently Rashford has not been playing well tonight and Alan Shearer tore into his performance at half time.

24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    That was great from Gallagher for the winner.

Gaz811, roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    No Arsenal match the weekend after the next squad announced so Saka and Rice will have a little bit of rest before meeting up with the squad. No Brighton match either so a short rest for Dunk. Looking like they will be no Everton match either so Pickford will likely have a whole week off.