England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #12951 Fireburn47, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    I think Rashford would get less criticism for England if they wasn’t also the likelihood of Henderson and Phillips (And maybe even Dier) as well. The more unpopular players means the criticism gets harsher and the unpopular ones targeted even more.

Trippier’s form has come under a lot of criticism recently with many calls to bring back Ben White instead of him or Maguire.

2. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Bowen has 2 LW appearances in the PL ever, and one of them was for Hull as a teenager! I can’t believe people are advocating him playing there for England, over the like of Grealish and Rashford for have actually performed in that position in the league and for England 100s of times.

roverman repped this.
  3. manutd 01

manutd 01 Red Card

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 24, 2024
    Ben White is probably Englands best right back at the moment.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  4. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #12954 MrSnrub, Feb 27, 2024
    I feel like we go round in circles on this but you really need to stop paying attention to social media. It doesn't matter. There will never be a squad where the reaction from everyone is "good squad". A lot of the criticisms are shrouded in club and recency biases anyway (how many people would have said Bowen "has" to be in the England squad before yesterday), or players taking on perceived reputations which people just associate with the player regardless of anything they do on the pitch.

Take Rashford for example, ok he hasn't had a good season, but he's still probably had a better season than Grealish who's done nothing in a much better and more functional team. One has social media against them, the other has little being said for reasons largely unrelated to on pitch performance. There's not really any logic to it why one should be picked, and the other shouldn't.

Or Trippier, who by no means has had a bad season. He had one bad stint where he made mistakes in a few games in December but he's largely had a good season and is top of the assists list in the premier. If he was outside the squad you'd have people saying its a disgrace that the guy with the most assists - from right back! Wasn't in the squad. You will never please everyone and any manager who tries is doomed to failure.

hussar, horrisengleton and roverman repped this.
  5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Ward-prowse is a weird one. How can someone with such fantastic technique at dead ball situations be so mediocre from open play. Passing vision etc

Inter Row Z repped this.
  6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think Southgate should try and get both Saka and Foden starting through. Rashford and Grealish are both currently only worthy of being subs from the bench,

roverman repped this.
  7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

8. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I'm not a Man U fan so haven't seen a lot of their games. But the games I have seen of Rashford. He has been that bad. What were these impressive performances as the narrative matches what I have seen.

The calls for JWP should die down as he is playing as AM for West Ham. Were he playing in the CM position that England needs and performing OK he would still be pushed forward. Longstaff has been injured. And has now a competitor in Curtis Jones.

I wish this forum was as critical of Trent as they are of Bowen. He has had 23 caps(19 starts). Bowen has had only 5(3 starts). I would agree he isn't up to it. But neither is Trent.

9. manutd 01

manutd 01 Red Card

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 24, 2024
    It amazes me that a lot of pundits and fans see Trent as a holding midfielder.

roverman and horrisengleton repped this.
  10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It’s because Trent can invert and play there but I get why people don’t like it

Bowen has been decent but is he international standard? Hes definitely not takins sakas place and is he better than palmer?

roverman repped this.
  11. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    He's played well for weeks now:
    1759531334530138286 is not a valid tweet id

Fulham at the weekend was first genuinely bad game in a while and he's only had a handful of those this season. His poor form is being blown way out of proportion.

12. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I find it more amazing that Southgate is willing to play him there yet won't call up a new midfielder.

roverman repped this.
  13. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Howes picked Dan Burn over Livramento again.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Smith, Cook and Scott start for Bournemouth. Tavernier and Kinsey - Wellings are on the bench,
    Choudhury, Coady, Doyle, Raikhy, Albrighton and (Cannon) start for Leicester. Justin, Nelson, Thomas and Briggs are on the bench.

Pears, McFadzean, Wharton. Brittain, Buckley, Chrisene, Dolan and Gallagher start for Blackburn. Pickering, Markanday. Garrett and (Finneran) are on the bench.
    Trippier, Lascelles, Burn, Longstaff, Willock, Murphy and Gordon start for Newcastle. Barnes, Hall, Livramento, (Anderson) and Miley are on the bench.

Mengi, Burke, Clark, Barkley, Doughty, Morris and Woodrow start for Luton. Shea, Osho, Berry, Townsend, Johnson, Nelson and Piesold are on the bench.
    Walker, Stones and Grealish start for Man City. Foden and Lewis are on the bench.

On TalkSport they have just been talking about Stones and the fact for the Euros we need him fit or there is no real chance of winning.

15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #12965 Fireburn47, Feb 27, 2024
    Harry Maguire injured now.

No further details being given.

16. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Mengi getting roasted by Haaland.

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #12967 Fireburn47, Feb 27, 2024
    Grealish off injured. He looks distraught.

18. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Worldie from Jordan Clark

19. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Not that I think he should be starting for us, but the regularity with which 3 of our very steady back 4 have been injured is very concerning for our chances.

I particularly worry with Shaw out we might see a return to the ugly 3 at the back system, made even more likely if one of the centre backs is out.

20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Hope not.

Who should start instead of Maguire? Guehi?

21. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Against Blackburn.

22. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Clarke scores again

23. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Looking forward to the TalkSport segment on whether Clark should be taken to the Euros.

24. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Guehi has been the obvious third choice centre back for the last year but unless he comes back very quickly he's going to miss the next squad also.

I guess that would leave Lewis Dunk by default

25. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Haaland scores his fourth