England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Henderson was unused for Ajax in their 2-0 defeat by Az Alkmaar.

2. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Whats the point? It'll cost them money to get rid of him. The manager isn't the problem. Clueless owners are the problem at Chelsea, The only real signing thats paid off is Palmer.

roverman repped this.
  3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

4. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I think it's incredibly fitting to see Chelsea lose a final to a Liverpool side packed with kids when you look at the disdain with which they've treated their academy products over the years.

Chelsea could've had Guehi, James, Rice, Mount, Musiala and Solanke as starters with Livramento, Colwill, Chalobah, Tomori, Hall, Gilchrist, Gallagher and Hudson-Odoi all as squad players/developmental projects and kept that €1bn to splash on a select few world class difference makers. There's no way that squad isn't better than what they have now. CHO would be a big upgrade on the Mudryk we've seen in a Chelsea shirt and they sold him for peanuts.

They could've been unique in English football but instead opted to become a sad, failed attempt at Madrid's Galácticos and now they're paying the price for it.

Khadrim, KHSAFC, hussar and 2 others repped this.
  5. KHSAFC

KHSAFC Member

Sunderland
    England
    Feb 12, 2023
    Loftus-Cheek, Abraham, Ake and Christensen too

horrisengleton repped this.
  6. Port Vale Fan

Port Vale Fan Member

May 30, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They could've been unique in English football but instead opted to become a sad, failed attempt at Madrid's Galácticos and now they're paying the price for it.

Great post, shame Pochettino doesn't seem to have control of transfers - his methods and track record combined with Chelsea's academy could produce something special.

roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Biggest eff up was selling de bruyne

8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Chelsea midfielder Conor Gallagher says he wants to stay at Stamford Bridge. The 24-year-old England international has 18 months left on his contract and has been linked with a move to Tottenham. (Sky Sports)

English midfielder Jack Harrison, 27, wants to turn his loan move from Leeds United to Everton into a permanent deal in the summer even if the Elland Road side are promoted back to the Premier League. (Football Insider)

Blackburn have set their sights on Jacob Fowler - son of Liverpool legend Robbie. (The Sun)

No Manager has full control over transfers anymore. The few that have strong influence will be replaced by those who don’t when they leave they current jobs.

9. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Yeah, Poch has been taking a lot of heat for the current situation but I really don't think them getting rid of him and appointing some established tactico will fix things. I think Palmer, Chukwuemeka, Gusto and Ugochuckwu are the only real top-quality players they've signed and two of those are young project players with little first-team experience. Like you say, they drastically need to get rid of Winstanley and whoever else has been dictating these transfers.

What's even more ridiculous is that a large portion of the fanbase has cheerleaded the club's attitude towards its own academy talents to aid the pursuit of big-money signings. I've never seen a fanbase as plagued by shiny new toy syndrome as Chelsea's. I always remember how many of them wanted to get rid of Colwill to help fund the Cucurella deal.

Inter Row Z and hussar repped this.
  10. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023

Nice of Fleet Street to finally catch up with our line of thinking.

Gaz811 repped this.
  11. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I think Sancho is pretty much a bust at this point.

12. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    The problem is the way profitability and sustainability rules work Chelsea are going to have to sell more academy talents to fund future transfers.Also all the flops they bought and put on 8 year contacts are going to be very hard to get rid of.

AJ123 and Fireburn47 repped this.
  13. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Looks like he could be another Big time Charlie.

roverman repped this.
  14. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I might be wrong, but aren't those contracts not too high. The issue is the length not the renumeration. Theoretically they could sell a player four years down the line. Of course I doubt they have that patience.

15. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    It always seemed a long shot for someone who's been training by themselves for so long to hit the ground running.

Difficult to see where he goes from here though. Presumably another loan move beckons in the summer. Still young enough to turn it around but he seems to show very little signs he won't just be another good example that the talent side of the equation doesn't matter much if the attitude side is lacking.

AGomes and horrisengleton repped this.
  16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The narrative of the Chelsea v Liverpool game has become a bit weird. Liverpool had the older team and more experienced options on the pitch pretty much at all times.

Fair enough Chelsea are a bit of a basket case of a club to say the least but comparing them to a club like Liverpool (stability of a long term successful coach) seems harsh. I think Carragher and Neville were pretty dreadful yesterday in their summations.

LUFCGGRAY, horrisengleton and roverman repped this.
  17. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I'm not 100% sure how it works with FFP. But my guess is they need to sell the player for close to what they paid for them (depending on lenght of contract) or it goes down as a loss. Academy products are 100% profit as I understand it. Might be wrong but how I understand from what I've read and heard.

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    His club career is pretty similar to Ousmane Dembele. This season was always going to be a non starter after refusing to apologise. Maybe after a pre-season at a foreign club he might get back on track. He will probably play in Italy next.

The manner in which he left Man Utd will be hard to recover from in England. A redemption arc here seems a long shot at this point. Even stylistically he needs a perfect team fit over here.

thebigman, roverman and Gaz811 repped this.
  19. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Yes Liverpool should have been heavy faourites going into it. But it was made out to be a 50/50 game. Now its being madeout that Liverpool were the underdogs with all the kids playing. They are top of the league.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Don’t know about heavy favourites but we’ve seen enough of Chelsea’s struggles for consistency this season to doubt them. I guess the narrative is that Chelsea’s bench players cost so much more but there is much more context to the situation than just that imo.

Gaz811 repped this.
  21. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018

You were bang on.

AGomes repped this.
  22. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Maybe during the 90 mins but extra time tipped the balance a bit. Chelsea had a £200m midfield playing against Endo, Clark and McConnell for half an hour and spent the majority of it on the back foot.

Liverpool might have had a few older heads on the pitch at the time but some of them aren't top quality players - Tsimikas & Endo - and I don't think an average age argument is that fair when Liverpool's youngsters are so inexperienced. I don't think having two or three old heads on the pitch makes up for McConnell's, Clark's or Danns' complete lack of senior experience.

Chelsea's young players on the other hand have very much been around the block and played plenty of big occasions before so the way they performed in extra time is worthy of criticism imo.

I do agree though that to an extent it's beating a dead horse, and Neville and Carragher were slightly guilty of that.

Fireburn47 and hussar repped this.
  23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think Man United will try and sell him this summer - Saudi if he will go there the most likely option.

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Enzo Fernandez obviously struggles with the physicality of the league at times and both ‘expensive’ players were very tired by this point. It’s obvious that Chelsea have overspent on pretty much every signing. Fair enough but it doesn’t mean it is the main issue in every scenario. I just thought they got tired in midfield after running themselves into the ground and couldn’t change it with their bench.

Teams get tired and sit back and settle. Especially teams that lack confidence and haven’t won much for a while.

Teams that have success can carry younger options and integrate them seamlessly. Sir Alex’s Man Utd always did it too. Liverpool played the ball a bit better but were still basically hoping for a set piece in extra time.

IMO Liverpool in extra-time had a better spine of their team with players that either have shown greater experience in these situations or have shown consistent form. Liverpool were still
    heavily relying on Van Dijk for leadership in big moments.

They will get criticism but it is not very fair imo.

horrisengleton repped this.
  25. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    I'd have thought Spain or Italy are the most likely destinations for Jaden Sancho, following on from the success of Bellingham and Greenwood in La Liga, and Loftus-Cheek and Tomori in Serie A.

roverman repped this.