England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Newcastle are contemplating signing Bournemouth defender Lloyd Kelly, 25, this summer. (Mail)

Liverpool are set to offer England defender Trent Alexander-Arnold, 25, a new long-term deal. (Football Insider)

Liverpool are monitoring Fulham defender Tosin Adarabioyo, 26, for a potential move this summer. (Mail)

2. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    My feeling is that Jones is ahead of Mainoo at the moment. The former will get called up with the latter in the 21s

3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think it will be good if Southgate could announce it with the squad otherwise they will just be a day of talk about how he has been snubbed and predictions he will switch to Ghana.

For some reason Curtis Jones doesn’t get much hype.

4. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    For goodness sake, why? Is Kobbie Mainoo so remarkable in your eyes that the FA has to change its selection announcement procedure to excuse the fact he's not been selected? And what evidence do you have to keep saying he's liable to switch to Ghaha?

5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #12455 Fireburn47, Feb 12, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    Southgate has done so before when he has said someone will be the U21’s instead of the seniors.

6. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    You need to stop panicking/speculating about dual nationals who haven't given any indication they are switching.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  7. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    We shouldn't be cap tying players at 18 just on the off chance they'll play for someone else.

hussar, roverman and Inter Row Z repped this.
  8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Fireburn makes me look passive compared to him regarding duel nationals. Wtf would mainoo switch to Ghana? They're in a terrible state

Inter Row Z repped this.
  9. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    How many midfielders do we think Southgate will take to Germany? I think he's been really light on the midfield selections in the past, even in non-tournament squads, and tends to go heavier on defenders and forwards. I've always felt that's quite self-defeating since defensive rotations are much more rare and we have such a variance of midfield archetypes.

To Qatar he took Rice, Jude, Hendo, Phillips, Gallagher & Mount with 26-man squads, so with three fewer places it wouldn't shock me if he only took five midfielders - something like Rice, Bellingham, Henderson, Gallagher & Trent.

He did also take Maddison to Qatar and will likely do so again here, but I'm not sure to what extent he ever actually plans on using him in midfield in a competitive game.

10. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I would think he will take the 5 you mentioned (or a like for like replacement e.g. Jones for Gallagher) with Foden, and Maddison/Palmer also considered able to play centrally. Notably we used Foden centrally in both games of the last break, and he's been used centrally more often by Guardiola which has tended to be Southgate's reservation. I don't think there's really an issue with the numbers, it will be the personnel that will be an issue.

roverman repped this.
  11. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    I think you're right, Horris. I can see Southgate going with just Rice, Bellingham, Henderson, Trent and Gallagher/Jones, with Maddison and Foden being chosen as attackers, but also capable of covering any midfield shortcomings. The versatility of those two, as well as Trippier, Trent and maybe Joe Gomez, should hopefully make selecting a 23 a little easier than in previous squads.

horrisengleton repped this.
  12. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Pickford
    Ramsdale
    Johnstone

Walker
    Trippier
    Stones
    Dunk
    Maguire
    Guehi
    Shaw

Rice
    Bellingham
    Henderson
    Phillips
    TAA
    Gallagher

Maddison
    Rashford
    Grealish
    Saka
    Foden

Kane
    Toney

It'll be something like that I think. Maybe Jones or Palmer in for Phillips or Henderson at a stretch, or Pope for Johnstone or Ramsdale maybe if one of them doesn't get enough game time. I don't think Chilwell will be selected, he's looked very dodgy defensively, and Trippier can cover the position. Personally I would leave at least one of Henderson, Gallagher or Phillips at home, but I don't think Soutgate will.

Then again, if we stick with the same system we did in qualification, it'll be the first time in Southgate's tenure that we'd done that. Maybe we should expect a completely different shape for the tournament, in which case who knows who'll get called up.

13. KHSAFC

KHSAFC Member

Sunderland
    England
    Feb 12, 2023
    I’d be a bit miffed if Curtis Jones wasn’t in the squad

hussar and roverman repped this.
  14. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    #12464 horrisengleton, Feb 12, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    I agree. Rice & Jude will play almost maximum minutes while Trent and Henderson will rotate for the 3rd spot with Gallagher getting a few minutes here and there.

That's exactly how I have it, but I think he'll take a 5th centre back instead of Phillips.

Jenks and Inter Row Z repped this.
  15. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I'm shocked that everyone is so sure that Henderson is going to the Euros.

16. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Unless we go back to the ugliness of the 3-4-3 (really a 5-2-3), I don't see him picking 5 centre backs for a 23 man squad. Of course, as Jenks mentioned, Southgate does have a tendency to shake up the formation at the last moment.

RobTheFool repped this.
  17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  18. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I wonder when the last time a team qualifies to the CL and no players make the England squad. Could happen with Villa.

19. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    I'd have Joe Gomez as the fourth centre back. He's played right right across the back four this season and been arguably the best English left back. So he could cover for Shaw and free up a spot elsewhere for a wildcard like Palmer, Gordon or Lewis.

KHSAFC repped this.
  20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Southgate has pretty much confirmed it with now he kept selecting him when playing in Saudi. Ajax are objectively a better tram and play in a better league so he is as safe as houses.

21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Really don’t get why Lewis should be in contention. He is not playing regularly at the moment and probably will only get minutes for the rest of the season against the weakest sides and/or when City are comfortably winning.

22. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
  23. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Beyond clickbait that title, It says Southgate will recommend he be called up to the u21s for anyone who doesn’t want to read it. Of course take in with a massive grain of salt either way given the quality of the publication

roverman repped this.
  24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    But with the possibility he could he still end up in the seniors if he continues to impress.

25. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I hope not. Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic but I just think it'd be on brand for him. I think even in a 26-man squad there's no need for five centre-backs but he still took five to Qatar when he could've instead taken Toney alongside Wilson, who in the event of a penalty shootout could've played a much bigger role in the tournament than Eric Dier or Ben White ever did.

roverman repped this.