England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    LMAO

2. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Just watched the hightlights on MOTD. Looked like goalkeeper was at fault for the last goal and a bit at fault for third.

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1733952531489870214 is not a valid tweet id

Jenks and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  4. manimal

manimal Red Card

Dec 23, 2018
    My england team would be
    4 2 2 2 Formation

Kane Saka
    Foden bellingham
    Phillips Rice
    Livramento Covill Stones trent
    Ramsdale

AJ123 repped this.
  5. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Watching the Luton vs Man city highlights. Ross Barkley on ball looked great but off the ball he didn't do a lot of tracking back.

6. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I've been particularly bemused by how Lewis Hall has been fit through this whole period but has barely played.

Fireburn47 and Gaz811 repped this.
  7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Just said the same in the other thread.
    Huge mistake from Howe to rather wear down his only fit firstteamers left, even if there were no world beaters on the bench.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure that works vs a strong side with 3 cms

………………..Kane
    …..Gordon…foden…..Saka
    ……….Bellingham…rice

might work well or a 433 with foden running from deep or lw?

9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  11. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    roverman repped this.
  12. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    There's no probably about it, he's been phenomenal. One of the main reasons Everton are in some good form and will avoid the drop.
    They've got a real fight on their hands to keep him whether they get relegated or not.

roverman, Gaz811 and Fireburn47 repped this.
  13. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I haven't watched any Bournemouth games. So anyone who has, where does Lewis cook play? As wiki says he is a DM.

14. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Let's simply be grateful we've got two outstanding young centre-backs coming through (three even, if you count Jarell Quansah). I'd say Branthwaite seems better defensively, with Colwill having the edge in ball progression and playing through the lines, but they're both hugely promising. And left footed too. I just wish Chelsea wouldn't keep deploying Levi at bloody left back.

hussar, roverman and Iansutton270390 repped this.
  15. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #10490 MrSnrub, Dec 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    Branthwaite looks a big talent but I would be aware of the fact that Dyche plays very centre back friendly systems. I think if you put Colwill with the protection Branthwaite gets he'd look great also. Instead Chelsea are a mess and he's been hung out to dry a bit with how he's been used this season.

Not to take away from Branthwaite of course, he's having a great season, but there is a reason pretty much every centre back who plays for Dyche gets a lot of praise. He both coaches and identifies centre backs well, and also gives them more protection than in most teams.

Port Vale Fan, hussar and roverman repped this.
  16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Chilwell should be back in January so when that happens Colwill should then be back in the centre.

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  18. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Don't hold your breath on that one. If the start of the season is any yardstick, Poch will have Chilwell playing as a left half/left winger with Colwill having to move over and cover for him.

19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Int eh Daily Mail just now they say Colwill is playing left back because Pochetino likes taller players and Chelsea don’t have lots of them.

Also that they might sell Gallagher in January and that Spurs are interested ij him if he is sold.
    Ans that while Toney would suit them he might be too expensive both in terms of cost and wage demands and that Arsenal and Man United might be more able to afford him.

Think Arsenal might suit Toney the best - the most stable of the three clubs

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Branthwaite looked pretty average in his loan spell at rovers compared to Harwood-Bellis who looked quality. Just shows experience can make a player better

21. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I like Milner but thats a cop out. He got told by Sam that he wouldn't start so he retired fair enough. But after 1 game Southgate tells him hes going to be 1 of his leaders and still retired. Fair enough if had been years but it was 1 ********ing game.

22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

Unfortunately Calvert - Lewin is like Reece James to me. A good player but someone who just feels like the next injury is never far away.

23. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    It’s interesting because when Boro last got promoted back in 2016 alongside Hull and Burnley, the talk was about Ben Gibson, Michael Keane and Maguire. Maguire though was probably rated below those two at that time of 2016-17. However, Gibson was heavily protected by our system under Karanka which was one of the most negative I have ever seen and Dyche’s Burnley were always very well organised and compact too. Obviously Maguire has his flaws but has gone on to be far better than those two and I can’t help but feel it’s partly to do with playing for more open and/or expansive sides earlier on in his career.

Inter Row Z and roverman repped this.
  24. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    This popped up on my timeline. Can't beat a bit of Gazza and Bobby Robson (with some bad language thrown in)

roverman and Inter Row Z repped this.
  25. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    There's also no good reason Calvert-Lewin should be on Southgate's radar like that. He has two goals in his last ten matches and while he's a handy player he doesn't have many standout attributes. He's nowhere near Solanke in quality.

roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.