England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    If Everton had kept them points we'd be above Chelsea.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Who should Spurs have signed who was English and somewhat available?

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  4. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    The Ward-Prowse convo is pointless because he might be ahead of Henderson but he's still behind several others who are also ahead of Henderson.

The weaknesses you mentioned he has are glaring in this England setup and are basically why we don't want Hendo there anymore so it feels futile to discuss another fringe option that will only maintain similar problems rather than someone who brings something new to the table.

5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Also ITV have firet choice of the R16 and Semi (Therefore an England match if we make it to those stages) while the BBC have first choice of the QF.

6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    PL English Players of the Match - Week 15
    Bukayo Saka - Luton Town v Arsenal
    Trent Alexander - Arnold - Sheffield United - Liverpool
    Dwight McNeil - Everton v Newcastle United
    Jarrod Bowen - Spurs v West Ham

Pl English players of their Club - Week 14
    James Trafford - Burnley
    Alfie Doughty - Luton Town
    Bukayo Saka - Arsenal
    Sam Johnstone - Crystal Palace
    Harry Toffolo - Nottingham Forest
    West Foderingham - Sheffield United
    Trent Alexander - Arnold - Liverpool
    Cole Palmer - Chelsea
    Dwight McNeil - Everton
    Kieran Trippier - Newcastle United
    Jarrod Bowen - West Ham

BBC Sport English players of the Match - Week 14
    Cole Palmer - Manchester United v Chelsea
    Jarrod Bowen - Spurs v West Ham

BBC Sport English players of their Club - Week 14
    James Trafford - Burnley
    Ross Barkley - Luton Town
    Cole Palmer - Chelsea
    Tino Livramento - Newcastle United
    Jarrod Bowen - West Ham

Second and third places
    Pl- Daniel Bentley, Charlie Taylor, Ross Barkley, Gabriel Osho, Jack Hinshelwood, (Michael Olise), Nathaniel Clyne, Andre Brooks, Jack Robinson Harry Maguire, Jordan Pickford, Jamaal Lascelles, James Ward - Prowse

BBC - Craig Dawson, Josh Brownhill, Alfie Doughty, Declan Rice, Bukayo Saka, Ben Mee, (Michael Ollse), Sam Johnstone, Marcus Tavernier, Harry Toffolo, Ryan Yates, Wes Foderingham, Cameron Archer, Phil Foden, John Stones, Harry Maguire, Dwight McNeil, Lewis Miley, Anthony Gordon, James Ward - Prowse

7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Pickford was linked to them but he is probably only going to leave Everton if they get relegated. Still continued links to Guehi.

8. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    You miss the point, Barry. This isn't an attack on Spurs who, it's good to see, are now being linked with the likes of Branthwaite and Guehi as they try to patch their own non-English hole.

It's just a personal gripe about the ridiculous state of affairs, whereby any English team can be allowed to play in the English Premier League, in front of a predominantly English crowd, but not have one English player in the starting Xl. Yes, it may simply be the way our game is heading, but how can that ever be right?

roverman repped this.
  9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #10334 Fireburn47, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    I agree. But even if they did have rules Johnson would be counting as English as if a PL club took court action any rules that discriminated against Duals would fail anti - discrimination laws (I know rugby has them but nobody in rugby had the money to challenge them - Football clubs do.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I wouldn’t be searching for what is right in the PL. 20 clubs are scrambling for the best players possible to them. That is not going to change. Tottenham have also given certain English options chances this season and they haven’t taken those opportunities.

If clubs are readily looking at English options and creating good youth players, whilst largely offering those youth options decent pathways I would personally give them some leeway.

I would be more frustrated at other clubs who have options that are deserving of opportunity but have had their chances limited by blocking pathways.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  11. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Why not? Shouldn’t we be crying out for change when the big 6 teams are now lining up without one English player?

Spurs, for example, have spent £750 million on bringing 30 players to the club in the last 3 seasons. Just 3 of those were English, with James Maddison the only realistic starter. That’s not a club which has been ‘readily looking at English options’ or is in any way focused on opening up pathways for its English youngsters. Nor is it a club that will be serving up top class players for the national team any time soon.

Incentivise these teams. Restrict them. Penalise them. Whatever. But don't just turn a blind eye to what they're doing.

roverman repped this.
  12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    While that is all good making English players the target of their club fans for only being there because there is English is not always a good thing either.

13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Everton centre-back Jarrad Branthwaite, 21, and Crystal Palacedefender Marc Guehi, 23, are high on Ange Postecoglou's wanted list as the Tottenham boss reshapes the club's squad. (Sky Sports)

Everton midfielder Dele Alli, 27, is close to a return to full training as he steps up his recovery from the thigh injury which has meant he has yet to play this season. (Times - subscription required)

14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    How are you planning on doing this? It is just pie in the sky stuff at this point.

Not to mention the potential blowback that would occur if the rules you desire were implemented. It’s already hard buy the realistic English options in the market. Their value would quadruple.

You would also end up with undeserving options playing who wouldn’t be of any use for England anyway. Like Eric Dier at present. He needs to leave but would be guaranteed a squad place almost forever (like what has happened to English keepers pretty much taking early retirement to boost squad eligibility).

Then you have the issue of playing young options way too early and ruining them. Spurs fans already seem to be getting on the back of Brennan Johnson and he’s got a decent amount of PL experience.

Obviously there are issues with the way clubs buy players now. They pretty much have free reign over all European leagues. It’s pretty much down to the individual players to forge their own path. We have to live in the real world though.

Gaz811 and Fireburn47 repped this.
  16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    And because being third choice keeper sometimes pays better than being a starter lower down the league. I am sure the likes of Scott Carson and Tom Heaton couldn’t get their current salary starting outside of the PL

The Russian and Turkish leagues have had strict quotas rules but also many complaints that their players have become lazy because their face the pressure of being dropped or replaced by their club.

17. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    It’s a passionate England fan simply airing his frustrations, Barry. Not a job application to become the next CEO of the Premier League.

You’re right, there probably aren’t any workable ways to encourage teams to invest in English players. But at the risk of some Fireburn doom-mongering, it doesn’t half leave you worried about where that will leave the national side, if more of the big six follow Tottenham’s lead.

Fireburn47 and roverman repped this.
  18. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    I think people have a rose tinted view on England pre-PL and pre joining the EU. The reality is that after the WC win, we were mediocre in tournaments until 1986, some of them we didn’t even get to. There were far fewer foreign players in the top flight in that period, yet it made no difference to our performance in international football. Even the Scots were better than us for some of that time. I’d also argue that there are many countries out there with leagues that have a much larger percentage of homegrown players in, yet also have a much smaller pool of top quality players to pick for their national side. In addition to this, the world is a big place, with many countries outside this one. If players are desperate to get their opportunity at a young age, they can always move abroad in search of game time.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Pep Guardiola not playing Kalvin Phillips: "I don't know what will happen. I feel so sorry for my decisions for him. I'm so sorry."

20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

21. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Without getting too negative I really think Rashford's dramatic dip in form is a bit of a disaster for us. We have other talent in that position, of course, but the qualities Rashford has are worth their weight in gold in international tournaments and we don't have any other wide players who can do what he can do, specifically his game-changing ball striking.

The Rashford of last season could have been such an asset for us but on current form he's probably going to lose his place.

roverman repped this.
  22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I suspect Southgate might well take him even if he is barely playing.

Will Saka and Foden start together? Otherwise if Rashford does not start/make the squad who might else start. Maddison? Grealish ? Gordon? Bowen? Sterling?

23. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    It wouldn't be popular but I'd take him regardless.

As a left winger the obvious answers are Sterling or Gordon as a replacement. Either or for me.

roverman repped this.
  24. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rashford to be fair has always been hit and miss for Man Utd but seems to turn it up for England.

I hope Sancho can get a good move and get back to his form, a few years ago we had Grealish, Sancho, Saka, Sterling, Rashford, Hudson-odoi as depth, now two of those have dropped off, sterling isn't in the squad.

roverman repped this.
  25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It will be such a big talking point that will probably dominate above all other controversial issues (Even Henderson) if things stay as it does for Rashford.