England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    I’m sure this debate was had months ago and probably a few months before that, has something changed? His distribution is worse than the other 3 regularly picked keepers, and he dropped a couple of clangers the last time he started. I guess people can clutch at straws for other reasons, but seems pretty obvious the reasoning to me.

roverman repped this.
  2. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Nick Pope was asked about it in Newcastle’s pre PSG press conference.

Anyway if Ramsdale doesn’t get more playing time at Arsenal or by moving Pope could well be back in going by how Southgate said Ramsdale’s lack of playing time could affect his Euro chances.

Arsenal v Brentford is the weekend before the next squad is announced. At this rate if Ramsdale doesn’t move that could be his first PL apperence since last weekend.

3. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    So nothings really changed in the last couple of months, apart from a few quotes, What’s your opinion, who would you pick Ramsdale who might be lacking game time, or an inferior distributor who’s worse with his feet in Pope?

4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It’s a tough one but as whoever is chosen is third choice behind Pickford and Johnstone not the biggest issue.

5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    PL English Players of the Match - Week 13
    Anthony Gordon - Newcastle v Chelsea
    Marcus Tavernier- Sheffield United v Bournemouth
    Bukayo Saka - Brentford v Arsenal
    Ollie Watkins - Spurs v Aston Villa

Pl English players of their Club - Week 13
    Jay Rodriguez - Burnley
    Anthony Gordon - Newcastle
    Raheem Sterling - Chelsea
    Morgan Gibbs - White - Nottingham Forest
    Marcus Tavernier - Bournemouth
    Wes Foderingham - Sheffield United
    Bukayo Saka - Arsenal
    Ben Mee - Brentford
    Jarrad Branthwaite - Everton
    (Michael Olisie - Crystal Palace)

BBC Sport English players of the Match - Week 13
    Trent Alexander - Arnold - Manchester City v Liverpool
    Kobbie Mainoo - Everton v Manchester United

BBC Sport English players of their Club - Week 13
    Trent Alexander - Arnold - Liverpool
    Eberechi Eze - Crystal Palace
    Raheem Sterling - Chelsea
    Morgan Gibbs - White - Nottingham Forest
    Cameron Archer - Sheffield United
    Jarrad Branthwaite - Everton
    Kobbie Mainoo - Manchester United

Second and third places

Pl- Trent Alexander - Arnold, Charlie Taylor, James Trafford, Carlton Morris, Marc Guehi, Joel Ward, Jamall Lascelles, Cole Palmer, Callum Hudson - Odoi, Jordan Pickford, James Tarkowski, Marcus Rashford

BBC - Jay Rodriguez, Divin Mubuma, Elijah Adebayo, (Michael Olise), Cole Palmer, Marcus Tavernier, Ben Mee, Declan Rice, Ollie Watkins, James Tarkowski, Jordan Pickford, Harry Maguire

6. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Of course it’s not a big issue, surprised you don’t have an opinion given you post a lot on the subject. I’d pick Ramsdale over Pope.

roverman repped this.
  7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Is probably go for Pope if Ramsdale is not playing just because I’m not a great fan of players limited playing time getting selected. But I would also consider dropping Johnstone and taking both of them.

8. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Every time Pope has put on an England shirt I'm afraid he's looked like a rabbit in headlights, so I'm with Southgate here.

In saying that, it's ridiculous that we have a a handful of matches until the tournament and we don't know who the no2 is, one of them isn't playing and the other hasn't been given a chance.. if Pickford gets injured we are in a big mess.

roverman and horrisengleton repped this.
  9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think Ramsdale's situation is going to matter to Southgate. I know he hinted that it would, but I think that was just him trying to influence whether a move happens. Ramsdale will go, and if Pickford gets injured at the tournament then Ramsdale will come in without much fuss.

The more interesting question is what happens if Pickford gets injured before the tournament, because Pope is a poor like-for-like replacement for Pickford given how poor he is with his feet, but if you only have Pope, Ramsdale and Johnstone to choose from then maybe that equation changes. Maybe you then alter the way the team plays to suit your best shot-stopper, and bring Pope in.

10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #9985 Fireburn47, Nov 27, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    Johnstone is no.2 now according to recent articles. He got the higher number in both recent matches and played against Australia. If Pickford was injured as it stands he would appear to be front runner to start at the Euros.

I think Ramsdale’s situation will be linked somewhat with Phillips and maybe Maguire and Henderson. He can probably take him without much criticism if Phillips and Maguire are playing regularly but if Phillips is still stuck on the bench and Maguire has dropped back there (Shouldn’t do on his recent form but Man United are being linked to possibly buying a first choice starter in January.) (Or someone else not playing much gets selected.) a third non player plus the continued issues arround Henderson’s playing level would bring more criticism (Even with the fact the footballing press are generally sympathetic to Ramsdale’s situation.)

11. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Seriously mate, can you not offer up info from a more reliable source or, better still, just give us your own opinions? This would be one tedious fan's forum if we all simply posted the wild and crazy speculations from other fan's forums.

ht_hu96, Fireburn47 and roverman repped this.
  12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Manchester United have made Crystal Palace's England defender Marc Guehi, 23, their top target in January. (Football Insider)

13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

AJ123 repped this.
  14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Lovely assist from Foden and now a goal -

roverman repped this.
  15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1 goal and 2 assists for Foden tonight.

17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure the second one will go down as assist. Big deflection.

Gaz811 and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Disgusting decision by the ref. He was having a good game till he folded every time he was surrounded by the froggies

toonarmy44 repped this.
  19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    On the BBC website only the first one in the 54th minute is showing as an assist

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It came up as an assist at first. Still good play from Foden in the build up.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Arsenal are willing to let England goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale leave at the end of the season but will not let the 25-year-old go in the January transfer window. (90min)

France defender Raphael Varane, 30, and England midfielder Mason Mount, 24, are among the Manchester United players at risk of being replaced. (Guardian, via Express)

22. toonarmy44

toonarmy44 Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Tyne and Wear
    On the Pope debate I can perhaps see why he isnt picked as he is pretty poor with his feet and wasnt good in his last England game.

At pure shot stopping he is probably the best out of all of them.

Of all the decisions Southgate has made that isnt one that annoys me too much as i can at least understand it.

I thought Tino Livramento had another great game tonight against PSG. Big involvement for our goal and had an awful call against him for the handball. Yet another top quality English right back. I guess when Walker and Trippier get too old he will come into the full squad.

Although he has been playing well at left back for us and with that versatlity and the current shortage of left back options available it may earn him a call up sooner?

Miley was impressive given his age, cant be too many 17 year olds in world football playing at that level and holding their own.

roverman and Gaz811 repped this.
  23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Pope is like De Gea in some ways. Good shot stoppers but struggles in many systems that expose their flaws more. Pope suits Howe’s system and is therefore doing well at the moment.

Gaz811 repped this.
  24. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's only like De Gea in that he's poor with his feet, actually worse than De Gea in that regard. De Gea was the definition of a line keeper and afraid to leave his line whereas Pope is always one of the top sweepers in the league. I think Newcastle should look to replace Pope at the end of the season though, it's an obvious position to upgrade for them if they want to step up levels.

25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #10000 Fireburn47, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2023

Social Media is full of complaints about how Southgate is totally wrong to completely leave out Pope and that Pope must start at the Euros