England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    West Ham were pants before the World Cup too, Rice still had a strong tournament.
    End of story.

roverman repped this.
  2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    The point was that a captain can and should influence the team not just the manager

3. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Rice took the captaincy at the start of this season … how were they doing before he took the reins ?

4. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Ooopps

5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Anyways ..,

Breaking News !

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink in ‘advanced talks’ to join Gareth Southgate's England staff

Just need a tactical coach plus a midfield coach and we’re good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Rice is one player not 11. If he was the keeper the centerback the midfielder the striker all rolled into one you would have a point. Some players step up their game when they play with better players like maguire does with England. Like Rice does with England. There's a reason a host of top clubs want him. At 24 he's still got room to grow. Kante didn't come of age till he was around 26/27.

7. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    He was 24 when he joined Leicester. Although when he turned 23, he was still paying in Ligue 2.

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Ah ok

9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Mount withdraws. Surely maddison has a chance now

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
  11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Nothing there to fear

13. Harry Kane's on my mind

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 7, 2023
    What has happened to immobile?

14. Footballers abroad

Arsenal
    England
    Nov 9, 2019
    Even when teams from f La Liga and Serie A paid significantly more than English teams, English players still rarely played abroad.

15. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Hamstring injury.

16. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    So he really is immobile.

JAMC_ and roverman repped this.
  17. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Chiesa's back. Don't know how he is playing at the moment, but he is their x-factor.

roverman repped this.
  18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Jude Bellingham's form seems to have fallen off a cliff. No goals or assists since Christmas. I know his team are playing well but he looks like he's not contributing

19. FractalsFern

FractalsFern Guest

Quite a few Dortmund fans were calling for him to be rested for the most recent match, he has warmed up with loads of strapping on one knee recently with the manager hinting at him having had some trouble for a few weeks. Apparently he played well last match, just didn’t get any g/a

roverman repped this.
  20. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Really cannot countenance kalvin Phillips being in this squad, he's even behind Rico lewis as a midfielder these days. I get we have limited options but Phillips has ultimately had one good season at the top level, and that is 2 years ago at this point.

The whole thing speaks to one of my biggest fears with Southgate staying on, the squad and team needs a refresh. Not an overhaul, just refining certain areas, being proactive about who were going to need at the next tournament, people who might be useful options.

A common issue with managers particularly international is getting stuck in comfort zones and I fear were seeing it, were still heavily reliant on the 2021 we have made precious little changes to the squad. Except the world cup didn't warrant that, it was average, we should not be satisfied with what they achieved (nor particularly angry at them).

roverman repped this.
  21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don’t agree with Southgate picking Phillips but I’m willing to grudgingly accept that he wants to go with players he knows during this international window. It is two of the most challenging games in qualifying.

Does anyone think he won’t give opportunities in June for the qualifiers against Malta and Macedonia? Worry is that then the likes of Colwill and Gibbs-White will be wanted for the U21 finals.

hussar repped this.
  22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    hussar, AJ123 and roverman repped this.
  23. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Hope Southgate plays Rashford Kane and Saka. Because that front 3 must be close to the must in form front 3 in the world.

lobomojo, Oxford Tom and roverman repped this.
  24. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    A great balance in that front 3. Saka is more creative and Rashford is more explosive.

roverman repped this.
  25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Potentially best front 3 in Europe right now