England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

1. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    Not a bad squad, but Balogun is 100% gone next international window.

2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It’s a puzzle really but more concerning it kind of shows how poor our depth is in that position.

hussar repped this.
  3. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Toney is the only real surprise here, I feel for Watkins, but that's life, and Toney is a better choice.
    Midfield is not that strong, Mount and Phillips has a free pass seemingly, though I have to say I liked Gallagher whenever I saw him playing for Chelsea in the last few weeks.
    Guehi vs Tomori? I don't know.

roverman repped this.
  4. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    Hopefully we beat Italy and can give some minutes to Toney against Ukraine.

5. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    Do we have anyone coming through in that position? Skipp?

6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Dreadful squad .,

No TAA
    No Ben White
    No Eze

He only really got the forwards correct ..
    Keepers are a given

Maguire ( not being picked or played )
    Chilwell always injured
    James always injured
    Dier - form ?
    Kyle Walker - possible 2 year jail ??
    Mount - not picked / playing
    Phillips - not picked / playing
    Rice - dreadful form
    Maddison always injured
    Gallagher only just recently been playing
    Foden - hardly plays

7. MrBoombastic

MrBoombastic Member

England
    Nov 10, 2020
    Yep, another squad selection that just baffles. Maguire has started five league games all season and was dropped for being poor yet still gets picked, but of course Southgate is a moron so what's new. If a player isn't good enough for a Man U team in transition why is he good enough for England who have other options? Tomori and White left out is insane. In midfield of course he has to take Phillips, a player permanently injured, overweight, and not very good. Has Gallagher done anything at all this season except be part of a Chelsea team stuck in midtable? Mount likewise, although I can just about accept him being in. Toney definitely deserves to be in there but not picking Watkins seems a poor decision given his form. We will need another option if Toney gets a ban and just Rashford isn't enough.

It's a shame Southgate didn't go after the World Cup because he seems to pick his same favourites regardless of form, fitness or whether they're playing and constantly ignores other or better options.

TitoTata and roverman repped this.
  8. MrBoombastic

MrBoombastic Member

England
    Nov 10, 2020
    It is a dreadful squad although TAA hasn't been playing well and don't think Eze should be in given he can't even get in Palace's team half the time now. Watkins is on fire and should be in, and at least two of Skipp, Elliott and JWP (even if he does play for the bottom club) deserve a chance over Gallagher and Phillips. Dire can only play in a back three and isn't very good, shouldn't be in there, Maguire being picked again is a joke and no doubt he'll start, Tomori and White being excluded is insane given their club form. Not sure on Guehi either but rather him in the squad than Coady.

9. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    I agree with some of what you are saying, but you’ve gone a bit OTT in my opinion. You would seriously pick Eze over Foden? Foden is by far the better player. He might not be starting every game, but he’s still getting regular minutes. We have to be building towards the next tournament, and by then it’s extremely likely that Foden will be flourishing for his club.

Also who are you picking over Rice? We don’t exactly have an abundance of options for that position.

TitoTata and roverman repped this.
  10. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    #435 hussar, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    I don't think we should take anyone seriously who claims Eze should be ahead of Foden.

roverman, JAMC_ and AJ123 repped this.
  11. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Harsh on Tomori but the only selection that surprises me is Toney. I'm glad he's in because he's had a brilliant season but it seems very against Southgate's usual standards given the issues he's had off the pitch. He must have impressed when he was last with the squad. I think Southgate was always going to be loyal to the likes of Maguire and Phillips.

Ben White not being in is no surprise given that something major happened for him to leave the World Cup. Personally I don't think Skipp or Elliott are ready yet either. I think I differ from many on here in that I don't think the squad should be picked simply on form alone. For someone like Phillips he needs some confidence so this call-up could help in with that. There's the squad dynamics and the bigger picture to think of too.

ht_hu96, hussar and JAMC_ repped this.
  12. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    So what’s the starting 11 v Italy? I’m guessing the following…

Pickford

James
    Stones
    Maguire (Colwill is going to take this position long term)
    Shaw

Rice
    Bellingham
    Henderson (Would have Maddison in here personally)

Saka
    Kane
    Rashford

13. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Terrible squad, much in line with what I said when Southgate signed another contract. He'll have his favorites and not get rid of old friends when it's needed to. Not building anything for the future here. At least 5 players that aren't good enough for their clubs.

roverman repped this.
  14. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Meh. I would have liked to see some new faces in midfield, maybe MGW but definitely Skipp. Philips taking a place is ridiculous. He had a good euros couple years back, but has barely played since then. For the love of God let it go and move on.

Khadrim and roverman repped this.
  15. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    Phillips is a Southgate favourite, did you really expect many changes from the World Cup?

16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Maguire over tomori is insane

17. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    this is why people like me wanted Southgate sacked, fresh start under a new manager, but we were shouted down and the FA didn't have the balls to do it

roverman repped this.
  18. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    No its no suprise to see Southgate sticking to his favourites and ignoring form and fitness. Its just frustrating, I personally feel this is a tournament too far and wish he had left.

But having stayed, it wouldn't kill him to freshen things up a bit. I get its the first games back, but it all feels very stale.

roverman repped this.
  19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    You make some fair points

I was just playing devils advocate in certain instances

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    “ Why not , he’s the second highest English scorer and playing great plus he’s eligible to play for his club “

Wasn’t that the case just before the World Cup ?!?!

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I was hoping he’d be sacked but that was a pipe dream .. the FA love a YES man .

22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Where's fireburn

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Kalvin Phillips makes no sense. Unlikely to play and barely playing for his club. Just give a new cap a chance. Plenty of experience to allow someone new to come in at CM.

Rest of the squad makes sense at this point. Maybe Tomori unlucky. Toney does feel like the logical alternative option to Kane.

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Mmm who takes the penalties

:)

25. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Southgate shouldn’t be England manager , he’s taken them as far as he can and now he’s not picking players like Tomori over Dier ! He should have picked Balogun and now probably loses him. You have to have one eye on the future with squad selection! You can select a few players that aren’t in form but he’s got far too many players in the squad that not performing, shocking