England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I've always believed this. English players tend to go abroad for a couple of years then think they've served their apprenticeship to come home. Liverpool can offer Bellingham nothing. If he wants to become a true great. Real Madrid can only offer him that

ht_hu96 repped this.
  2. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I've got mixed feelings about this. I could see another gareth bale situation happening if Bellingham has a poor run of form.
    At Liverpool, he'll be afforded the time to recapture form and still be cheered by the faithful.
    Madrid is a horrible place if you're not playing well.

roverman repped this.
  3. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    On Bellingham, I saw he was captain for Dortmund in the CL last week.
    It feels like he's already a big figure for England and I would imagine the favourite to take the armband after Kane.

roverman repped this.
  4. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    One could argue that it is that which keeps players performing at such a high level though and gives them such a killer instinct. It’s a shark tank and you need to be able to swim to survive.

I’m also not sure Bale is a good example as he was ultra successful at his peak there, much more than he would’ve been had he stayed in England. Furthermore, I would argue he was largely the architect of his own downfall when it eventually did turn sour. He made no effort to learn Spanish, didn’t attend several team events and seemed to just lose interest.

I just fear that Liverpool are on a worrying path even with Klopp at the helm. They have a chronically aging squad, owners who don’t invest relative to their big rivals and the young players already at the club don’t really look like world beaters. All of this amongst a now fiercely competitive landscape with City, Newcastle and potentially United under state ownership and an Arsenal side who are just at the beginning of a cycle. Chelsea, despite their current travails are bound to get it right eventually as well whether that is with or without Potter.

Serengeti_Boy, AJ123 and roverman repped this.
  5. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #330 MrSnrub, Feb 21, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    Yeah I'm not sure how great a move Liverpool would be for Bellingham, they need a massive rebuild and under their current ownership i'm not sure they have the resources to compete beyond Klopp performing miracles again, and there's a pretty good chance he will leave within the next 18 months. Even making the CL is going to be difficult going forward under the current ownership given Newcastle and now seemingly United getting taken over by state backers. It could easily be a situation where they get locked out the champions league for a good period. Of course he can still become a world class player even playing for a less competitive side as Kane has done (although I would argue its hurt Kane as a big game player).

Real Madrid is a good home if you can cope with the pressure and have the motivation - look at Modric and Benzema, previously Ramos and Ronaldo starring their well into their 30's. It's more of a bear pit and anything less than winnings is unacceptable, but if Bellingham is to become the player we need him to be, he'll need to cope with that kind of pressure. I think one of our problems in the current team is a lack of proven winners - we lack people with significant trophies (ie leagues and champions leagues).

ht_hu96, hussar, AJ123 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    True. This summer transfer window will be very interesting. Wonder if city might go for him or united if they do a rebuild.
    Would be nice to see him and rice in the same club side and then replicate that partnership for England.

roverman repped this.
  7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Sancho looks way off the pace

8. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    We have these who we've called up in the last year (I didn't bother counting Forster's Scottish titles):

Walker: 4 x Premier League
    Stones: 4 x Premier League
    Sterling: 4 x Premier League
    Foden: 4 x Premier League
    Alexander-Arnold: 1 x Premier League; 1 x Champions League
    J. Henderson: 1 x Premier League; 1 x Champions League
    Mount: 1 x Champions League
    Chilwell: 1 x Champions League
    James: 1 x Champions League
    Abraham: 1 x Champions League
    Grealish: 1 x Premier League
    Trippier: 1 x La Liga
    Tomori: 1 x Serie A

Can't be bothered to do it for other countries so I'm not sure if that's good or not. Could plausibly be adding Ramsdale/Saka/White/Smith Rowe and/or Phillips and/or Shaw/Maguire/Rashford/Sancho* in the next few months, albeit that some have obviously been more key to their teams than others.

*Not actually called up in the past year, but it wouldn't be a shock to see him get back in.

hussar, AJ123 and roverman repped this.
  9. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    Arsenal are linked with Declan Rice and I think want him to replace Xhaka in the left 8 role. Would be interesting to see what he could do in a top team. I think he could easily go to another level. He has all the physical attributes and his goal yesterday showed the quality he has.

AJ123 and roverman repped this.
  10. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Yeah I agree. I'd be a bit worried for his development if he went to arsenal though. He should be aiming for somewhere like man City or Liverpool.

I feel like this arsenal team are gonna be one season wonders and flop terribly from then on.....hope I'm wrong of course.

11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Liverpool would be horrendous. Their midfield needs huge upgrading. He needs to go somewhere where he can fit right in alongside a proper established partner. City would be ideal but that's not going to happen. I wouldn't see him out of place at somewhere like Bayern Munich or real Madrid

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  12. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Yeah bayern or real would be perfect. Arsenal is a no no for me though, he'd being taking a step backwards IMHO.

roverman repped this.
  13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I hope he doesn't go to any top side that wants to play him as a side 8. He can possibly be among the best defensive midfielders in world football, or he can be Ramires.

roverman and hussar repped this.
  14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think rice is more than just a shield for the back 4. I think he's very effective going forward. He's much better On the ball than people think. Remember him beating about 4 Italian players in the final. He's a very good box to box player

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    arsenal is a step backwards from
    West Ham? Can I speak to your dealer please? Your smoking skittles

16. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    No you've interpreted that wrong. I meant it would be a step backwards in his development. The next stage would need to be a team challenging for honours every season.

roverman repped this.
  17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arsenal are top of the league?!

Liverpool are on the down, United is a possibility but what have they win except a tin pot league cup? City don’t need him, Newcastle are not ready yet anc Chelsea are a mess

to be honest I don’t rate rice very highly, he’s been a decent runner for West Ham in a 2 but I’m not sold on him as a single pivot

Got a feeling he ends up at Newcastle or Chelsea

18. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I think Arsenal would be a good move for him. They will struggle to compete with the oil clubs going forward but they tend to win some trophies or compete for them through the years.

19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    They have a young team that looks like it's going to win the Premier League. No reason to think they won't be competing for trophies moving forward.

20. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    For me he’s better a a box to box midfielder with his ability to make powerful runs. The number 6 role has changed a lot in recent years and you need to be press resistant and quick feet to receive the ball in tight situations…I think he has quality but I’m not sure he’s a Busquets type player. I honestly think if you took the reigns off him, he could be like Yaya Toure/Gerrard.

Regarding Arsenal, they have the youngest team in the league and should only improve. I think it would be a great move for him, Arsenal are a functional side with a clear style of play. It’s a much better move than Chelsea who are a basket case of a club right now, or Liverpool who are in major transition.

roverman repped this.
  21. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
  22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    ht_hu96 repped this.
  23. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Real impressive performance from Harvey Elliott in central midfield today, proved he can do it against good opposition, he's been the best midfielder on the pitch. Still not sure he'll ever fit a Klopp midfield long term given Klopp's system generally relies on athletic machines in those midfield roles but somewhere he will find a home at a high level I suspect. From an England perspective there's a lot to like in how he plays though, clearly technically very comfortable, and we don't press like maniacs so a pair of athletes next to him like Rice and Bellingham and you'd probably see his qualities even better than Liverpool see. Needs to work on his ball retention but other than that he's maybe worth trialling in the squads given a paucity of options for us there.

Also easy to forget he's only 19, there's so few 19 year olds who have played regularly in central midfield in the premier, and those that do are very often physically advanced for their age. Not to compare him as the same standard but I can imagine someone like Modric would have had his struggles in the premier as a 19 year old too, Elliott will hopefully develop to compensate for his weaknesses.

On the other side of the coin from todays game, I dread to think what the reaction would have been if Man U had defended like this with Maguire starting....

roverman repped this.
  24. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Maguire hasn't been great for Man utd but he was never really the problem. He was just a symptom of the problem which is Utds midfield was/is bang average and leaves the defend exposed. Its got better but if they have a bad day like today the underlying problems are still there.

roverman repped this.
  25. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Can we start a Kilman bandwagon. Any signs he might get called up?