England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    All the Newcastle fans on twitter saying Pope should be Englands goalie have gone quiet.

2. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Pope is a great shot stopper, but his ball skills are League One level at best.
    Any keeper even basically competant with their feet wouldn't have tried to head that ball. It was Phil Jones all over again.

3. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    you think its fine to be in the situation that if Kane broke his leg tomorrow we'd have no idea who should start for England? put Kane in the squad, bring him on if need be, but he shouldn't start anything but a qualifier, even then most qualifiers we shouldn't need him

4. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    You can't drop a player on the off chance he gets injuried.

5. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    It's not dropping him if anything its extending his longevity but not over using him, just last year people in here were talking about how little the nations league games matter, so I am saying use those games to find a reliable striker to back up Kane, who is still to really perform in knockout stages of a tournament (for a multitude of reasons) yet we have no alternative to him.

Southgate almost never subs him either so we don't get to see whomever happens to be on the bench.

Same issue with the keepers stop playing Pickford in nations league and friendlies when our other options have about 3 caps between them

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I kind of agree that we should give opportunities to Abraham balagoun nketiah etc.

7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Or Watkins, he's in some form now

roverman repped this.
  8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hopefully dcl gets back to his best too

9. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Once Kane moves ahead of Rooney, then there's really no excuse for him to play in most friendlies.

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Are we expecting any new faces in the next squad? I'm not sure maddison will be involved. Is colwill still injured? I'm hoping balagoun gets an opportunity but I doubt it

11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Do we play friendlies any more? I suppose nations league games are pretty much friendlies

12. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Nketiahs not really capitalized on his form, when Jesus is back he's going to drop straight out the team again and unless there's a dramatic turnaround he's probably going to be further from the team next season when balogun is back. It's be great if nketiah delivered but he always flatters to deceive in first team football outside flashes.

I don't see why maddison would have dropped out since the world cup.

Gibbs-White has been talked up in the papers, wouldn't be a surprise if he came in for someone like Gallagher. Phillips should drop out also, dewsbury-hall would be a contender to replace.

13. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I think we need to have a look at Balogun for all sorts of reasons.

roverman repped this.
  14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Because he's still carrying that injury. I'm not sure if he will risk him

15. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    Maddison isn't carrying an injury now he's back fit and starting his 3rd in a row, captaining again

roverman repped this.
  16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think maguire's time at united is over. Can't even get on the bench.

17. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    he's injured

18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I see lol. I had a feeling he was

19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm really excited about the potential of a saka kane rashford front 3. All in great form. All had a good world cup. I just hope Southgate doesn't revert to Sterling. With rice and Bellingham in midfield its looking positive. Its also great that only kane is at his peak.

Port Vale Fan and hussar repped this.
  20. Port Vale Fan

Port Vale Fan Member

May 30, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm with you Roverman, Rashford is doing very well atm but I still have my fears about him in possession when we're up against it.

Sterling has an awful lot to do, I personally think this is where he starts to be on the periphery of the squad.

Both of them have a lot to do records wise, Rashford in 32 competitive England games has 7 goals - Sterling likewise 16 goals in 51 appearances.

roverman repped this.
  21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    They're pretty good records for England wide players aren't they? Up there with the best I'd imagine.

22. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Sancho playing as a ten yesterday was very interesting from an England perspective. If he could develop as a central player that would be fantastic for us, he has all the skills and we're well stocked out wide where he's largely struggled - I don't think the premier league being so physical helps him to that extent, at least not in the United set up.

The other thing he's struggled with since moving is being incredibly passive, he's neat and tidy but whether its a confidence or application issue his ambition on the ball is generally subpar.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Easy to forget players like sancho. He's 23 in March. When he's on form he's quality. Hopefully from an England perspective he finds his form

Gaz811 repped this.
  24. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I hate to say it but I think Gomez may have played himself back onto the bench for Liverpool tonight.
    He's been absolutely atrocious, and I don't say that lightly.
    Don't know what happened to him after all that promise years ago but he seems to have a lot of errors every time he Plays in a fast paced match like this.

roverman repped this.
  25. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    On another note, I hope this tells Bellingham that his future is best served playing for Madrid. He’ll learn from one of the greatest to ever play the game in Modric, will play alongside a plethora of other great players and most importantly, he’ll develop that Madrid mentality that is so priceless in the elite tournaments.

I am sick of English players just choosing the easy option of home comforts despite it often meaning they play at a lower level than their talent is capable of taking them (Shearer, Kane, Le Tissier and Gerrard to a lesser extent). It is about time we had someone who isn’t bothered about following the narratives that our pundits and media thrust upon them with regards to staying in England, playing for boyhood club etc. Instead, let’s encourage players to start choosing the option which is objectively best for them.

roverman and hussar repped this.