England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hes no way more dynamic

2. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure it is. We took 8 forwards to WC. I'd call up both, particularly as the US are pretty keen on Balogun.

I don't expect Sterling to be called up, so his spot at least is free. Wilson perhaps not either.

roverman repped this.
  3. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah I was thinking the U21's would have games, but it seems they don't.

4. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018
    I have to say..... I follow mbappe since he's 16 years old. And talent wise rashford (when on Form) is absolutely up with him..... He's even more complete. Also have to see that rashford plays in a quality wise better league than mbappe

roverman repped this.
  5. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Being one of the absolute elite is about sustaining your best level for most of the time. If Rashford continues to score around a goal a game for 1+ seasons then he will be talked about as one of the very best about. He probably won't though.

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Mbappe is an incredible player. I'm no way saying rashford is as good as. I said talent wise he is.

7. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #232 MrSnrub, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Interesting comments from Southgate regarding the tournament exit and the future. Seems one more tournament for him and that's his lot.

It's particularly interesting he mentions the lack of belief from the players before the France game because i'd say that's been Southgate's biggest issue and the reason our win record against top 10 nations is so awful. Before that France game we played almost every top 10 ranked side with 5 at the back, 2 defensive midfielders. Far too concerned about stopping teams than believing we had what we takes to be equals. Naturally naively going out cramming all our attacking players into the side isn't going to end well but we've tended to overdo it the other direction.

Against France I don't think he got much wrong, certainly not in starting line up, but going forward its going to take another evolution if we want a seat among the top teams. France pretty much never dominate games against decent standard sides so we shouldn't be so over the top they didn't do it against us either. Defensively we should probably start looking to phase out Walker and utilise right back as an attacking force (hopefully with a fit James), and Maguire also at this point can't really be starting if he's never playing at his club.

In midfield someone to evolve us if crucial and the biggest issue (as usual), Henderson shouldn't be starting come the Euro's - he's really struggling this season and I don't see a 34 year old Henderson come the Euro's providing much. Unfortunately there's no obvious names for that right now so we're hoping for someone to emerge there. Gallagher is the obvious young Henderson clone, though with Chelsea's transfers I don't see him breaking beyond squad player for Chelsea.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm happy to have walker as long as he wants to carry on

9. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    It’s frustrating that Foden cannot be utilised as an 8 in our system.

imagine a midfield 3 of Rice, Bellingham and Foden

and a front 3 of Saka, Kane and Rashford!

Gaz811, thebigman and roverman repped this.
  10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Also trent. Fancy having a world class fullback and he only gets one sub appearance at the world cup. I believe Bellingham and rice should be our starting pair in midfield. With foden behind kane saka rashford. Thats good enough to go far in the euros

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, no reason foden can’t be as effective as griezman is for France in that role

roverman repped this.
  12. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018

Why not? He could try it before euros

roverman repped this.
  13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think that's largely because he's just not *that* good. He's decent enough, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that he could ever be part of a world-class midfield, so it's hard to see that he's going to take us to another level.

Not quite clear on what you think we need though. Isn't Bellingham already the guy to take on Henderson's role and perform it better? That seems his most natural position. I'd have thought the other midfield spots and/or the system were more up for debate right now.

roverman and lanman repped this.
  14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Henderson offers energy, pressing. He did it better than anyone for us at the world cup. I'd still have a place for him against possession teams. The future is clearly rice and Bellingham though. They have a great understanding

15. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Looks like Stones' has just done his hamstring.

16. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I agree about gallagher but England's midfield options are so limited he's one of the few plausible alternatives to Henderson. He's not going to part of a world class midfield, but no one we have is either. Ideally we'd have a creative player in place but we don't have that player, and there's no sign a player in that mold is going to emerge in the next 18 months, so we have to try and make what we have work. Which really leaves us with 5 options:

1) Foden drops into midfield, the people's choice. But he very rarely is trusted there for club and when he is shows little sign of being a creative, or having influence on games. In almost any senior level game I've seen he just gets lost in midfield.

2) Mount returns to the midfield, but he's played there many times for england now and lacks influence on the game.

3) Phillips returns in a more conservative midfield, but it's increasingly difficult to imagine him getting decent game time at city.

4) Henderson keeps his place, but there's a decent chance Liverpool will start phasing him out next season based on his present performances.

5) Gallagher steps up from back up as a Henderson clone, but game time likely to be an issue.

Realistically that is our options for a 3rd midfielder. It's not a pretty list and we're going to have to try to make it work somehow. We will be haunted by familiar issues come the euros I suspect, we can but hope someone emerges by the next world cup but even that timeframe seems optimistic.

17. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    You forgot Maddison, he could be a contender too.

18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    You Don't think rice and Bellingham will be world class?

JAMC_, manimal and hussar repped this.
  19. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Bellingham already at 19 is one of the IF not the best inform midfielder in the world...... The amount of games he carries Dortmund in his backpack is insane

roverman repped this.
  20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Imo hes the best midfielder in the world right now

manimal repped this.
  21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Good grief.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    He’s a brilliant, talented kid but he’s still a kid and he might be the best in the World one day but to say he’s the best in the World right now is pure hyperbole….

23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I mean the way he's playing

24. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Steady on mate.;)

roverman repped this.
  25. roverman