England overrated???

Discussion in 'England' started by dan dudley, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    You see this is a perfect opportunity to air one of my gripes.

Why do Americans do the singular 'England' and (in this case) then the very next sentence do the plural.
    It's obvious from that which makes the more sense otherwise they wouldn't change.

It's pissed me off since I started coming here.

For future reference - it's plural. ARE England overrated? There is lots of talk about THEM.
    If you're going to borrow our language at least do us the service of following the rules of it. Keep it constant.

2. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Good word - more people should use it.

And, 154 posts in 8 days?!
    That's going some.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for appreciating my word usage. I DO try my best! lol actually, i'll be over in london for a few days in november/dec ..... november 26-december 1. any of the london teams from the EPL gonna be in town that weekend that i can actually get a ticket to?

4. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Fuck knows.
    I support QPR.

The Premiership is overrated. Go and watch the shit football - it's cheaper. You'll be conned out of enough money whilst you're here without going to a Premiership match.

5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: England overrated???

you are 13. you have a small cock. I win.

6. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: England overrated???

what you fail to appreciate, mainly through lacking the mental capacity to do so, is that nobody at all is getting annoyed by your claims that England are not a great team, as all you've done is agree with the general consensus of opinion.

to spell it out slowly for you....

we do not think England are great either.

It seems to me all you have to offer the world is a blend of stupidity and persistence.

Humming in class is fun isn't it?

I could just ignore you, but with your clear cry for attention (mummy and daddy not seem to like you as much these days huh? Especially now the bed-wetting's got worse) you may end up harming yourself. If that happened I'd be really upset if I knew I could have helped. It could take me seconds of therapy to get over it.

7. dan dudley

dan dudley BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 12, 2003
    usa
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: England overrated???

those who talk about it are probably the ones with a little one but i'm not saying nothing

8. JoBeck

JoBeck New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Wesschessduh
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL that's pretty funny. actually though, i have many reltives in england (london, birmingham, southampton), so i've been there a number of times and i'm just swinging through for a visit. I don't plan on being "conned" out of anything while i'm there. if i could live through growing up in new york, i can live through another week in london. LOL

10. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    Michael Owen, European Player Of The Year 2002? Or 2001, bah how time flies.

11. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's face facts here, England is overated. In the last 18 competative games, they only lost to Brazil... They should have beat Brazil. That's how overated England are.....all their fans claiming they're the best team in the world, all their fans claiming they're going to win the World Cup. It makes me sick I tell thee..

12. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah, but you didn't mention that every single time that they played Brazil during those 18 games, they lost. And also, out of all the drawn matches in that sequence - how many of them did they win? Not a single one. Also, quite a lot of England's victories have been 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 etc, i.e. they kept a clean sheet. I ask you, when was the last time England came from a goal down to win a match in which they kept a clean sheet? It seems like never. Those sort of stats go a long way to proving why England are overrated.

13. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly, and when England did actually win a game. The other team didn't play well. See, it's rare you see England beat a team that played better than them.....and don't get me started on the Empire.

14. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    When Brazil plays England what we see is a great match. Elegance, flair, it's a game where both teams respect each other. A true class of delight football.

England overrated? I don´t think so.

It´s just an impression, but I think that had they won that (2002 WC) game, they would have been the World Champions.

15. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally posted by neovox:
    "It´s just an impression, but I think that had they won that (2002 WC) game, they would have been the World Champions. "

What, England beat Germany? Never happen. Not even 5-1. WWII was a fluke, too. Churchill, now there was a guy who was overrated.

But seriously folks, England was UNDERRATED. They have only just now moved up FIFAs ranking list (which I know is a sad joke), to #6, so they get a top seed in '06. Winning Euro 2004 should gaurantee them a top seed. At least thats my plan.

16. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Dudley

You are entitled to your opinion, and I do agree with you, but you are trying to stir a pot that does not need stirring. England fans themselves readily admit that the 3 lions are overrated and are not of the same caliber as Brazil, France, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Senegal, Nigeria or Turkey and perhaps a host of others. There is no shame in that. The quality of football has improved globally over the years. There are fewer easy teams these days.

Must you blokes that disagree with Dudleys tactics use profanity. There are young lads that read these boards. Let's try and keep it clean.

17. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Re: Dudley

:rolleyes:

Nice try Wildman. You really are a fucking bell-end, aren't you?

18. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Re: Dudley

Brazil=Yes, better than England
    France=Better
    Argentina=They did well in the WC didn't they ?
    Italy=Maybe slightly better
    Spain=Great qualifiers, average in the real tournaments
    Germany=Worse, and played above their abilities in the WC
    Netherlands=Can't really say, they didn't qualify for the WC
    Senegal=You're having a laugh, they're average, and Diouf is over rated.
    Nigeria=Nurse, the screens !!!!!. Nigeria are crap, and Bryan Robson's going to be their manager.
    Turkey=About the same.

To suggest that Nigeria (4th in England's WC group in the WC finals) and Senegal (good, but let's judge them in the next WC) are better than England shows you clearly have insufficient knowledge of international football to make a worthwhile contribution.

19. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Re: Re: Dudley

Mobile, I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. I was trying to help defend England from Dudley. I don't see what has your shorts in a bunch.

20. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Re: Re: Dudley

My good Doctor, I think you follow what I mean. We all agree that there are many countries that are better than England. Why quibble over who exactly they may be? You could also add Mexico to the list. However, who the teams may be are not important.

21. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wildman262, BS stands for BigSoccer, not BullShit. This is not the BullShit board, that is over at www.glory_hunters_that_support_Real_Juve_Manure_Bayern_"

22. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Re: Re: Re: Dudley

Do you take the FIFA rankings seriously or something ?. Mexico are mediocre hackers, who lost to England 4-0 or 4-1 the last time they met (OK, that was only a friendly), and were soundly beaten by USA in the last WC. The only reason they're getting in the top 10 is because they play in the Gold Cup against USA's B team, Brazil's U-23's etc.

I think your apparent lack of knowledge of any football is starting to show. Oh, and it's not good to be a glory supporter and just like all the winning teams.

23. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Dudley

my good doctor, I was not trying to get into a world rivalries debate. I was simply agreeing with some other posters on this thread that there were many better teams than England. We all agree with that premise, although we might not all agree on which teams they are. No foul. Play on.

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  25. jcdavies

jcdavies New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Woodbridge
    this thread is a joke half of u people have no idea what your talking about, i sometimes doubt the football intelligence when i read this meesage board. Come and live in a european or south american country all your life then we can debate about who has the better football team. What a joke