England overrated???

Discussion in 'England' started by dan dudley, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan dudley

dan dudley BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 12, 2003
    usa
    Is england overrated??????

If yes than why are they so popular and loved by many

if no then why is there so much talk about them being overrated

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be overrated, people have to actually have you in their consciousness to begin with. Actually, i haven't heard much talk of England being the best or near the best or as them being generally more popular than other teams, so I can't really say that they are overrated. I think you may be confusing the popularity of David Beckham with the popularity of the English team (and by the way, i DO think that Beckham is overrated.)

3. spike

spike Member

Feb 22, 2001
    Tejas
    What in the world are you talking about? I doubt very seriously that anyone would confuse the popularity of Beckham with the fortunes of England. Duh.

Any team can be considered overrated if their so-called ranking is higher than the general perception of their relative quality. In case you haven't noticed, this is a popular theme on BS, particularly with regards the U.S. ranking on the FIFA tables. Now, by your reckoning, no one would have ever mentioned that, right, since no one ever thought the U.S. should be considered the best international squad?

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, i think you might want to fully read a statement before you spout off a bunch of foolishness about what was said. I said "best or near the best OR AS THEM BEING GENERALLY MORE POPULAR THAN OTHER TEAMS" ........ I guess you missed that last part as you flew into your senseless diatribe about what you THOUGHT i said. And as for Beckham, you are just plain wrong. If you ask the average fan around the world who they think of when they think of English football .......... the answer will be ........... (drumroll please) ........ Beckham. And THAT'S the bottom line jack!

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What the **** are you trolls doing in here?

If you want to be negative in a stupid way about England then go to World Rivalries. For god's sake.

As for England, I think you'll find if you knew anything about the game at all you'd realise that Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard, Sol Campbell, Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney are also very popular and great players. If all you can think of about the England team is Beckham then you're clueless. If you think Beckham is overrated when he plays for Real Madrid and has been hailed as one of their best player so far this season and was a key player at Man Utd for years, then you're mentally deficient.

Now go away.

6. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    here,here..
    a bunch of sad yanks having their own private little conversation about england on the england forum..
    their obsession never ends..

BTW ,who is this dudley kid??
    every single post is about england..
    another stalker by the looks of it.

7. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Transfer this to WR would you Jo?

8. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    I don't think the team is overrated, no doubt they got some of the best in the world but I think their coach is an underacheiver or perhaps overrated. Euro2004 may be his last chance to prove us wrong.

9. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well I could just ask why you were claiming England were overrated yesterday. After all, you must know why you claimed England are overrated or you wouldn't have said it, would you? Or did you just read some groundless opinions and go with them without even first attempting to apply some thought of your own?

10. dan dudley

Jun 12, 2003
    usa
    Re: Re: England overrated???

actually no...

it's so funny when the english get mad when someone calls them overrated

which by the way might be true

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're a very sad little person.

Go into any major nation's specific forum and say insulting things about their team, like how they're 'overrated', and you would get exactly the same responses, whether it's directed to English, Brazilian or Swedish fans.

JoBeck - surely this 'dan dudley' kid deserves a yellow card? He has admitted in his post above to coming into this forum to be rude and to start trouble. Any other forum and there would be a card issued, time to prove that this corner of BS is actually monitored....

12. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'm a Yank. I follow the EPL, and Plymouth (a disease I caught from Champ Manager) and watch all the England games I can, usually on Pay Per View. So I have some knowledge, I've seen the lads play for club and country (only on TV).

I think England should have the best team on the planet. I think they are underachievers. I think thats because club football is too powerful, and the English FA too weak. I think the English fans expect too much making it too hard for the coach to blood new players. And with all the rivalry at club level I do not see the fans as being fans of the national team as they always are angry at venue choice, team selection and the fact that everyone hates them for past transgressions. I think that their reputation is undeserved, but the fans should take some responsibility and do something about it.

Personally, I think Joe Cole should play behind Owen, teamed with just about anybody you want. Owen rules. Then play Scholes in midfield. Bridge at left mid. And shut the f--- up about this being Sven's last chance unless you are prepared to sign up a decent young english coach for at least thru Germany '06, if not 2010. That way he will have time to build a squad instead of taking whoever the league managers let him have the day before the match.

The only thing stopping the English is the English. Let the boys out of the bag and just watch them play. But what do I know? Like I said, I'm a Yank.

13. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well your post was coherent, so I'll answer it.

Fair point.

No-one sane is seriously saying that Euro 2004 is Sven's last chance, I think you might be confusing the Chelski speculation with some kind of Sven Out campaign. The only people mad enough to want to force Sven out are a tiny minority of fools who have never wanted him as coach, or sections of the press who want something to write about.

I think you'll find that the club managers will still have power over who goes and who is "injured". Even more so if it's an inexperienced coach who someone like Ferguson thinks he can push around.

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    All perfectly reasonable comments, as it happens. Although I differ about Joe Cole. He has never really convinced for England. You could argue that's because he's never been given the chance to though, I suppose. Personally, I would give him more of a role, even if not as a starter.

Agree on Sven though - England fans always have been too quick to blame the manager for the failings of the team when, as often as not, the players have palpably underperformed. I doubt they would do better under, say, McClaren (good coach, terrible manager), Curbishley (good coach and manager, entirely unproven at even a high club level) or whomever else the FA chose to appoint as his successor.

FWIW, the idea that he will walk of his own free will after the Euro's next summer seems ever more likely. Especially now that Chelsea have made it clear they are very determined to get their man.

As a club-before-country type of chap myself, I don't agree that the international game should be given greater primacy per se. I think the calendar should be rearranged to ensure that the international game no longer gets in the way of club football. That will ultimately benefit international football too, especially by allowing the national managers lengthy periods of time with their players without pressure from the clubs and the club football schedule.

But FIFA has thus far proven itself incapable of coming up with a plan worth considering. As ever, the biggest negative influence on the international game is the body that runs it.

15. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Dan dudley could be an alter ego of some other poster..sockpuppet maybe??

could be the "brain" behind the wildman262 character.woudnt suprise me.

16. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    Let Svens record speak for itself

(qualifying results + WC 2002 Finals)
    Won - 13, Drawn - 4, Lost - 1

England overated ? I think not

17. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It would surprise me. So far, neither poster has shown any indication of having a brain.

18. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I agree that Cole has yet to have a breakout performance for England. So how about this... Sven should settle on a strike partnership of Owen and... Beattie might be the one. Or bring Fowler back, they played well together. I don't think Vassell should be played with Owen, but as a replacement of him when necessary. Maybe give DeFoe, Jeffers, or Rooney a shot, but I'm not sure would be the big physical presence to play beside Owen. And park Cole behind those 2. Once a stable strike partnership keep it in place for a while.
    See if Cole (who is still growing, I hope) doesn't dribble the defense ragged while providing pinpoint service.

And thanks for not flaming me 'cause I'm just a Yank.

19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well now there's an undeserved reputation.

Contrary to popular opinion amongst the snifflers nd the weenie-boys, we do not flame people for eing Yanks (or indeed being any nationality), we lame people for being stupid and/or trolls. As things stand, nothing you have said is anything other han reasonable comment, worthy of debate.

If only everyone found it as easy as you do.

20. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rooney and Owen is the partnership. With Heskey coming in if we need a more physical presence, or if we want to have Rooney dropping deeper. Heskey has never let Sven down, and I think he causes more problems to a defence and gives more to the team than Beattie. At the moment I'm just not convinced that Beattie can do it internationally. Certainly he didn't convince me against the mighty Lichtenstein in what was his big chance to impress.

The only problem with playing Joe Cole behind two strikers is that we lose a bit of strength in midfield. Cole will eventually play that role, but he needs a bit more time at Chelski under Ranieri to polish his game and get more mature. He's getting better all the time, his performances in the past few weeks have been exceptional, but it's touch and go whether he'll be anything more than a super-sub by the Euro 2004 finals.

21. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: England overrated???

amazing U-turn you've made there. From having all the answers just a few days ago, you've realised that the sum volume of your knowledge couldn't fill an ant's scrotum, so you're claiming to be a troll instead.

Look, I'll give you a little tip. Rather than wasting you time on here, why not go into your parents bedroom and check out the magazines your dad hides at the back of the wardrobe. Everyone needs a hobby, and lets face it, it's a name by which I'd imagine most people refer to you already, so why not go for it?

22. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    I reckon that Rooneys best position is playing a bit deep like he did against Lichenstein, he's just class. I'm a fan of Joe Cole as well and I would like to see more of him for England because he is one of the few players who can skip round the opposition!

23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy that you are so passionate about your team, but the fact that guys are popular in england does not mean that they are well known by the common fan. Yes, i am a true football/soccer fan, and i have seen each of the players that you have listed play several, if not MANY times, but if you had taken the time to actually READ my post instead of spouting off emotionally, you would have seen that I did NOT say that Beckham was the only good player in England, but rather that the average soccer mind only really KNEW about Beckham. and that is STILL the fact, JACK! As for Sol Campbell being a great player .............. that's poppycock! Sol is an overrated, out of control boor! He is great at picking up red cards and getting beaten by decent strikers in his box. And if you wanna know why i replied on this site, well, i am new to it and didn't realize that there were different rooms for different people until a day or two ago, and secondly, this specific post was started by someone in the USA. please forgive me for my insolence. (sarcasm)

24. dan dudley

Jun 12, 2003
    usa
    Re: Re: Re: Re: England overrated???

again i say

it's so funny to hear the English get upset when someone says that they aren't great

here's a perfect example

25. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: England overrated???

No, you pathetic little turd, we know we aren't 'great', and have never claimed to be.

The fact is, if you come on here and start acting like a fucking knob, then you will be treated like one.

You can say whatever you like about England, but you have consistently exposed your complete and utter ignorance of the game.

Fuckwit.