England Euro 2016 Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upcoming fixtures - Times all UK time
    [​IMG]

2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great picture. We're off and running! COME ON ENGLAND!

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  3. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My prediction for the group:

England 2 Russia 2

England 2 Wales 1

England 3 Slovakia 0

Slightly optimistic, actually maybe swap the Wales and Russia results around, but I think we should be able to win at least two of our group games and progress as winners. I don't see much threat from Slovakia and Russia.. the Wales game is a tough one to call - they are not a great team, but they will want to turn up big time for it and Bale could cause damage on the day.

Preferred starting line up:

If Sterling shows form then swap him for Lallana and move Sterling to the tip of the diamond

-----------Hart
    Clyne--Smalling--Cahill--Rose
    ------------Dier
    ----Lallana------Wilshere
    -----------Alli
    ----Kane---Vardy/Sturridge

What will actually happen:

--------------Hart
    Clyne--Smalling--Cahill-Rose
    -----Wilshere--Henderson
    Sterling--Rooney---Alli
    ------Kane

W.A.S.P. and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    With the warm up games close and the squad soon to be announced it's time for the tournament thread. I locked the general senior team thread to avoid confusion. If everyone can please post mainly in here about the upcoming games, squad selection decisions and then the tournament itself.

Lets hope for a good tournament. I always love the build up to a international tournament.

RobTheFool and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love this time of year every two years. It's always a lot of fun and pumps me up. So happy that I found this website in 2012 when I was entering college.

Will the general thread open up again when the tournament is over?

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    England 2-0 Russia

England 2-1 Wales

England 4-1 Slovakia

I have a good feeling about this team and yes I'm being optimistic too. England has a terrible record of starting out tournaments, especially the Euro's, however this will be an easier one compared to the past:

1980 - Belgium (1-1)
    1988 - Ireland (0-1)
    1992 - Denmark (0-0)
    1996 - Switzerland (1-1)
    2000 - Portugal (2-3)
    2004 - France (1-2)
    2012 - France (1-1)

0-3-4

But we'll end that drought. We've faced several teams like Russia lately and I feel like we'll struggle to score, but we will find a way and once we do we'll get another one. Wales will be very tough, but I fancy it'll be along the lines of the away Slovenia game: they score first but we come back and win it. Though I fear it'll be like the Uruguay game, Suarez (Bale) scores twice. I feel like we will have figured some stuff out by the Slovakia game.

I hate doing score predictions so there you go. I could easily see us beating Russia 5-0, but they aren't that bad defensively and we aren't that ruthless.

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Depending on how we do. Lets say as soon as our tournament is resolved we'll go back to a general thread again.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Good start, can't wait..!

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That locked thread had ali listed as the number 1 in the world for youngsters?!?! He's decent but that is a reach!

10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It's a ridiculous list throughout. Nabil Bentaleb at no. 7 and Luke Shaw 40 places below Jordon Ibe. Bit of a waste of time.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah was thinking the same about it being ridiculous and not to be taken to seriously. Chong, a 15 year old in the top 20! I would even add that it's almost like someone has just thrown all those names in there but in no particular order.

15. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Wilshere said yesterday that he's been training for 6/7 weeks now and that he thinks he will get to the needed level with the villa game + 3 friendlies. of course he wouldn't say differently , but still good to hear

16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dan Crowley better than Ibe, Shaw, and Sterling too.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sounds a bit too fm for me

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Sky Sports did a poll of who the public wanted the squad with over a million votes, thought I'd paste it in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who should be included in Roy Hodgson's England squad for Euro 2016 this summer?

The England boss will name his 23 players for the tournament in France on Monday and we've been conducting a series of polls on skysports.com to see who the public want included.

With more than a million votes cast, here are the 23 players you want to see named by Hodgson on Monday.

GOALKEEPERS

[​IMG]
    Hart and Forster: Set to be included in goal
    Selected: Joe Hart,Fraser Forster, Ben Foster

Missing out: Tom Heaton

Injured: Jack Butland

With relatively little competition for places between the sticks, we let Sky Sports pundit Charlie Nicholas choose our three goalkeepers rather than conduct a public vote. He believes Roy Hodgson will opt for the tried-and-trusted trio of Joe Hart, Fraser Forster and Ben Foster in the absence of the injured Jack Butland.

DEFENDERS

[​IMG]
    Smalling: The most popular defensive pick
    Selected: Chris Smalling, Danny Rose, Nathaniel Clyne, Gary Cahill, John Stones, Kyle Walker, Ryan Bertrand, Phil Jagielka

Missing out: Luke Shaw, Leighton Baines, Phil Jones, Jon Flanagan, Kieran Gibbs, Calum Chambers, Glen Johnson

Sky Sports users voted Manchester United's Chris Smalling as their number one choice in defence with Chelsea's Gary Cahill the second most popular central defender. Everton duo John Stones and Phil Jagielka have been chosen by the public to provide cover.

Tottenham's Danny Rose is the top choice at left-back with Southampton's Ryan Bertrand the preferred understudy, while Liverpool's Nathaniel Clyne is the top pick for right-back with Tottenham's Kyle Walker also making the squad.

Manchester United full-back Luke Shaw could be fit in time, but Sky Sports users have deemed him to much of a risk to be included.

MIDFIELDERS

[​IMG]
    Dier and Barkley: Both won plenty of public support
    Selected: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Ross Barkley, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Danny Drinkwater, Raheem Sterling, Jordan Henderson

Missing out: Jack Wilshere, Michael Carrick, Andros Townsend, Fabian Delph, Jonjo Shelvey, Ryan Mason

Injured: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Sky Sports' users voted for Tottenham duo Dele Alli and Eric Dier as the most popular choices in midfield with 97 per cent of respondents supporting the inclusion of Alli.

Also making the cut are Liverpool trio Adam Lallana, James Milner and Jordan Henderson, Man City's Raheem Sterling, Everton's Ross Barkley and Leicester's Danny Drinkwater.

Arsenal's Jack Wilshere, who has played just 72 minutes of Premier League football due to injury this season, was only the ninth most popular candidate

Newspaper reports have suggested Hodgson is planning to take Wilshere to France this summer, but when asked if they were for or against his inclusion, 59 per cent of respondents said they would be against his selection.

STRIKERS

[​IMG]
    Kane and Vardy: The public wants to see them both in France
    Selected: Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy, Daniel Sturridge, Wayne Rooney

Missing out: Jermain Defoe, Andy Carroll, Marcus Rashford, Theo Walcott

Injured: Danny Welbeck, Danny Ings

Tottenham's Harry Kane and Leicester's Jamie Vardy are in the hunt to become the Premier League's top scorer this season and of those who cast votes in our poll, more than 97% want to see them both included in Roy Hodgson's squad.

England captain Wayne Rooney is only the fourth most popular striker choice among our readers, but would be included along with Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge.

If Hodgson wants to take a fifth striker - or if one of those four gets injured - then in-form Sunderland veteran Jermain Defoe is the next most popular option.

But it's bad news for Arsenal's Theo Walcott who was the least popular striker choice. Of those who voted, almost 83% were against his inclusion.

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not a bad list!I would take wilshere over he derson though. He is a better player and the only other midfielder with barkley who can move the ball at his feet and find killer passes (I don't see sterling as a 'midfielder'

RobTheFool and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  20. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    a bit scary that 60% of ppl don't want wilshere to go. Makes you wonder if they followed the qualifiers at all

ChristianSur and RobTheFool repped this.
  21. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Probably assuming Wilshere's not fit enough to go, but I disagree.

22. TheOwlFace

TheOwlFace Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Club:
    AC Ajaccio
    The general public area a fical bunch with the memories of a goldfish. Wilshere is our best midfielder, you bring your best players.

23. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    By that logic we should bring Shaw...

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wilshere is fit now and didn't suffer a broken leg

RobTheFool repped this.
  25. TheOwlFace

TheOwlFace Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Club:
    AC Ajaccio
    Not really. Shaw has played zero minutes since his injury and hasn't yet resumed full training. Jack has been in full contact training for 7 weeks, played 3 U21 matches, 2 first team matches (3 come Sunday)

Wenger actually touched on this in his press conference today, players like Studge and Jack could end up being our freshest and most influential players