England 2010/12 Away Kit

Discussion in 'England' started by PG Tips, Jan 22, 2010.

1. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Excellent quote

2. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

Yep not a Nike kit at all. :D

3. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not, just owned by Nike.. Umbro is allowed to make all the decisions regarding their kits..Nike just gets to take credit for them, being owners..Win/win for both..

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    is that jenas modeling it? he wont even be at the world cvup lol

5. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    lovl!

6. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would believe Nike had no real involvement if not for an obvious change in quality in the shirt's after they bought them. Am I believe this is just a coincidence? Also they don't show must interest in their Umbro products outside of the England shirt.

7. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Why do people want Nike to be producing the kit? Does it give Americans some sort of pride to create mighty England's kit?

8. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No I just think it is amazing that people are giving Umbro credit for this. Nike have even been doing the retro kits thing for about a half a decade now.

9. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Well given that Umbro are seperate from Nike but just owned by them suggests that the development and design of it is solely Umbro, perhaps Nike had some influence in suggesting a retro kit, but the rest of it is just Umbro. Why do you even care?

Reebok is English and owned by Adidas who are German, Reebok has a big portion of the American market, the thing is, it doesn't matter at all, and just because they are owned by Adidas doesn't mean they give up their own styles and designs.

10. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah I think it's Junior from My Wife and Kids actually.

11. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Slovenia's kit is heinous

[​IMG]

12. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    That looks pretty sick actually. Thumbs up.

13. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    agreed. Looks like a shirt Charlie Brown would wear.

14. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    I like how he must have been in the dressing room getting ready and thought "these orange and purple boots will look amazing with this green"

15. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    haha.....

16. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is tedious so this will be my be last point as to not bog this down.

The purchase of Umbro by Nike would not have been a situation where Nike just left Umbro to do what they like. It is kind of nonsensical. They were bought out because they took a huge hit in the market.

17. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    [​IMG]

18. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    The thing is you are just assuming this is the case, whereas Umbro has actually said that this is an independent design and Umbro is an independent affiliate. I like to listen to what has actually been said, rather than making shit up.

I would say the fact that only England have this new retro shirt by England and the fact Sweden still has a normal non-retro shirt by Umbro suggests this isn't something done by Nike to snaz up Umbro. It is something suggested by England and created with England by Umbro.

But yeah Nike own Umbro so you must be right...

19. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Finally ordered one for my son and I today. Can't wait to get it.

20. lordantwarrior

lordantwarrior New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Got mine on saturday as I posted in the other thread. It really is of an outstanding quality. I got the long sleeved as it looks great as a casual shirt.

21. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I bought the short sleeved one, w/ authentic customization on both, Rooney 10.. Paid a small fortune but worth it. Shipping charges alone from England to the US is outrageous..:eek:

22. lordantwarrior

lordantwarrior New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mine too, I just had to have my favourite United and England player on the back ;)

On prices, tell me about it. Bought mine in store at a JJB, and ended up paying £54.99 for it. It worked out at the extra fiver for the long sleeves, and a tenner for the name and numbering. Nevertheless, I'm just happy to have one now :)

23. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    First of all, really like the new England kit, mine is on its way from England, after buying it online. Living in Japan means I get to take advantage of the strong yen AND going to Sports Direct and finding it on sale for £35, means I am a happy camper!

Do like this new "Made by" stuff Nike are doing. It is available beyond England, after all, Manchester City are using it. However, it is not in use by all Umbro teams, for example, Sweden. Also, Rangers and West Ham are using the standard line. Though this does not mean more wont choose to switch. I am sure Umbro will offer it.

With regards Nike's involvement. Yes, Nike own Umbro, and as such, get to include it in their line-up. However, the design of the new "Made by" stuff is all Umbro. Any involvement by Nike has been at Umbro's request. For example, with research into fabric design. Umbro led all the way through the design process, and called on Nike to use their resources.

Yes, Nike owns Umbro, but it is very much an arms-length relationship. Nike wanted Umbro for its expertise in football and as a footballing brand, whilst Umbro eventually caved since being owned by Nike, and yet keeping their independence gives them access to Nike's muscle, allowing Umbro to re-invent itself. Something it could not do before given its lack of financial muscle.

As owner, it gets to take the credit, but it is a little hollow, since their input was limited to requests from Umbro.

Still. Its a nice new kit! And I reckon many more teams will take advantage of this line from Umbro, eventually.

But going to a wider thing, looking at the pic, not so sure Nike has totally covered itself in glory. Maybe they need to get some help from its subsidiary!

England - Umbro have pulled off another winner!
    Brazil - Never really any massive changes. Brazils history means you cant really play too much, and yet, you still have a winner!
    Netherlands - Pretty good. Shame it is a cookie-cutter of a kit. Firstly inspired by Manchester United's kit, and shares a great deal with the new Yokohama F Marinos kit.
    South Korea - OK, from that pic, cannot see much detail, but a very simple design.
    New Zealand - OK, got to go with something famous from New Zealands sporting heritage! Lots of black!
    Serbia - Nice use of red trim on an all-white kit.
    USA - The sash is back! Not totally convinced, but its not horrible. And at least on the blue, the sash is clear! Rather than the rumoured grey thing on white. White kinda reminds me of a wusses way out.
    Portugal and Australia - Ew. Racing colours.
    Slovenia - This one REALLY would not look out of place at the Grand National! Not on a footy field!

24. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    the chevron has been used many times besides man utd.

25. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just an update on the recents kits that I ordered. Not quite as good as the home kit, ( I like the collar on the home kit ), but still a decent looking kit, and comfortable.