Engagement rings

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Levante, Jun 9, 2005.

1. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    You got snowed if someone got you to believe this.

Sparkle is simply light being reflected to the site lines. More facets do not equate to more sparkle. What creates the best sparkle is an ideal cut. You can have facets out the ying-yang, but if the table is a thin cut then the damned thing anin't gonna sparkle to anything but her finger. It's simple geometry. Thinner cuts allow light to almost pass directly through the stone. Thicker cuts do the opposit - the reflect light to the outer walls. And ideal cut will reflect light directly at the same angle it came in, thus hitting the opposite side and shooting back up toward the sight lines.

2. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you AFL that for me? :D

3. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    You can't go wrong with Piercing Pagoda.

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one got me to believe it. It's an observation I made from looking at diamonds myself. I just don't find emerald and princess cuts sparkly. Even on other people, I've always found that the nicest looking diamonds of equal quality are round cut. That's all.

5. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd bet 20 bucks you're not married.

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife found the ring she wanted at a pawn shop--it was something of an antitque, a nice simple piece. We bought it, then found a small diamond at a jewelers, and had him cut it and mount it onto the ring. I paid it off a month earlier than she expected, and proposed on my knee at the bar we had our first date at. She cried.

We bought my ring at Sears for 60 bucks.

My grandparents were married for 75 years, the first 70 they lived together, then my grandma had a stroke and had to go to a nursing home.
    When they got married, they couldn't afford a ring at all. Years later, my grandpa bought her a ring from the Sears catalog (total coincidence), with their four kid's birthstones. I think it cost him five dollars. This was during WWII. Decades later, when they were doing better, he offered to buy a proper ring. She said no thanks.

I don't have a point, and I guess I'm not much help. Just saying--get what makes here happy, no matter what it is. In my grandma's case, it was originally nothing. In my wife's case, it was a simple, elegant antique. Whatever.

7. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Boy am I glad I went with a sapphire :)

8. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Find out what she likes, what she wants, then shop around; I went to 30 different places before finding what she wanted, and ended up going to 52 different places - 52 - before I got what she wanted at the price (and with the long-term servicing of the ring) I wanted.

Not that that serivcing of the ring does us much good here, but still.

Put in the work; at a minimum, it'll make YOU feel better and more secure about putting out that amount of money, and it will maximize the likelihood of getting EXACTLY what she's SAID she wants, at least.

Good luck, have fun; for me, it was one of the best, most enjoyable times I had in "the courtship."

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    You are a better man than I am. :D

My cousin is a diamond merchant, so gave him a check for a certain amount of money and he came back with a ring. Then again, I figured she's marrying me, so no ring, no matter how amazing can cover up that flaw. ;)

Sachin

10. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Damn. You put in a ton of effort.

I just went to Bluenile.com, and 2 stores.

11. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly and NYC have like "jeweler's rows"...alot of those joints were next-door to one another...it can be about putting in that work though; for me, it certainly was.

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Helpful to no one here, but who cares:

My girlfriend has told me (with a wink and a nudge) she didn't want me to get a diamond ring, partly because of the whole "apartheid rock" thing, and partly because she just doesn't like fancy jewelry.

Then she recently received an engagement ring and a wedding band as an heirloom, and told me (again with a wink and a nudge) that she would wear them when she got married.

I think I should marry her.

13. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what she wants you to think.

14. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    She's trying to leave her life of cat burglary behind her. The diamond on her finger she could use to cut holes in windows would be too much temptation for her.

It's all good as long as she has hot single friends for me to hit on at the reception or for you to hook me up with if I'm ever in NYC.

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Dude, have you checked your nuts recently? She's probably got them in a mahagony or teakwood case she inherited from her grandmother. When's the wedding date?

Sachin

16. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing wrong with giving your nuts to a woman as long as she takes care of them.

17. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Does anyone know what an appropriate table and depth % should be for an ascher cut? Any kind of cut?

Thanks.

18. scudley

scudley New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Syracuse, NY
    Some things that I remember when I was doing this last year...

Very simple and humerous intro to diamonds: http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/ring/ring.html

Basically BigDiamonds.com: http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/

Aside from Blue Nile (which at the above site many say you can do better than), many swear by whiteflash.com and believe it or not dirtcheapdiamonds.com is very popular and reputable as well.

After all my research I came to know a ton more that my fiancee... she was basically under the impression that carat size tells how 'nice' a diamond is, but in actuality color and clarity are just as important.

19. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Thanks for all your help people...... Got the ring today and it's paid for. I saved hundreds (at some sucker stores, thousands) by educating myself and following all your advice.

Thanks.

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Levante,

1. Congrats. If you think buying the ring is stressful, wait until she wakes you up at 3 am to discuss china patterns for the reception. :D

b. Your ring should come with an appraisal certificate. If it does not, get an independent appraisal as soon as possible.

iii. After your apprasial, call your insurance company and take out a policy against the ring. Most homeowners/renters policies only cover the first $3000 or so worth of jewelry. It should cost no more than $50 a year and will cover all damage and loss.

quatro: With any luck, the appraisal will be more than the purchase price. If that is the case, only send in the apprasial and do not tell them how much you paid.

Sachin

21. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Sachin,

I will get an appraisal and insurance.

Thanks.

22. elknco1

elknco1 Member

Aug 20, 2004
    yea. you're going to have to have it engraved in elvish.

23. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does she want a ring? I didn't, but I got one. I would have preferred a new roof, but, instead I've got a big ol' rock I hardly ever wear. I got the cheapest wedding ring I could find.

24. MFisc

MFisc New Member

FC Porto
    United States
    Feb 26, 2019
    I will use a little bit this thread.

Have You hear about lab created diamonds? I want to propose in summer but i dont know if its better to buy better looking but "fake" ring or spend same cash for weak looking ring with little stone.
    Here is what I found
    https://ecodiamond.com
    Those ring looks good and aint that expensive as real ones but i dont know :/
    My girl is not gold digger she would be even happy for plastic ring cuz she knows about my financial problems but still I want to make my bby happy