End of season run in/relegation battle

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by Salvatore Giuseppe, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Second goal for Pescara. Trapani have dropped really deep and are starting to be overwhelmed. Still 20 minutes left in this one.

Gonna take a lot of work to even make sure the second leg is meaningful.

2. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Trapani hangs on for the end, it finishes 2-0. Pescara snaps Trapani's 18 game unbeaten streak. Gonna take some work but Trapani can hope.

Next leg is at home, and a tied aggregate is all they need (away goals don't matter).

3. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Second leg of the Trapani-Pescara promotion final kicks off this afternoon.

Will another Sicilian side make it to the top flight? Or will Pescara hold on to their 2-0 advantage?

If Pescara wins, a $1m forced buy clause will be activated in Ahmad Benali contract (currently on loan from Palermo). He has 4 goals and 6 assists this season from the center midfield position, and Zamparini sounded a bit like he regretted making that deal. He blamed Iachini for telling him that Benali didn't have what it took.

falvo repped this.
  4. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    GOAL TRAPANI! 4th Minute and promotion is already only a goal away

5. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    shades of offsides sparks a debate, one player a side gets a yellow card. It was very close, the one freeze frame shown made it look like he may have been a half a body off, but tough to tell when the pass was made.

6. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Trapani inches away from number 2. 23 minutes in.

Slightly worrisome though, at least 3 Trapani players are already on yellows.

7. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    HUGE 1v1 save by the Trapani keeper on the Serie B leading goal scorer.

36'

8. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Trapani defender blocks a header with his elbow. No penalty called. Wouldn't have complained much if it was. It looked like he did it on purpose.

9. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Teams coming out from halftime.

Lot of Pescara pressure towards the end of the first. Still 1-0 though. Everything on the line in the second.

10. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Ridiculously good goal from Pescara as he lobs the keeper from almost midfield.

58' gone and its going to be very difficult for Trapani now, who need two goals.

11. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Straight red for a Trapani player, who was on a yellow anyways. A shirt tug and DOGSO about 10 yards outside the box.

Game over. A well fought season from Trapani. But I doubt there's any coming back from this.

67' gone.

12. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Game officially over. Heartbreak for Trapani, but a nice million euros being deposited in Palermo's bank account tonight.

There is, of course, always next year, but its hard to imagine Trapani could pull even this miracle off again. I doubt any of them even thought promotion was possible at the start of the season.

harrylee773 repped this.
  13. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Here's the goal that promoted Pescara

You can see what it meant to Cosmi, just as much as the players. Here he is being comforted by the Pescara coach (and his former player), Massimo Oddo.

After the match, his words (I suspect out of sadness rather than anger) were to the effect of "I'm not going to be able to speak if they keep singing. This is my house. Go celebrate further away"