End of 2022 Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Oct 10, 2022.

1. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    A start. Keep it going please.

2. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's one thing to burn down this dumpster of a team, it'll be quite another to rebuild it into something that doesn't smell.

fatbastard, majspike, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Rooney was involved in the arson.

4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #104 Q*bert Jones III, Oct 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    So long and thanks for your service. The timing is kinda fücked up, what with the contract options list being due any day now. But there's not really ever a good time for this stuff. I hope all parties land on their feet.

Here's my thoughts, for whatever it's worth (which ain't much).

A strong front office should consist of three elements.

One should be the owner and executives whose primary interest is the financial health and security of the club. Another should be the coaching staff and players, whose primary interest is winning in the short term. The last should be the club legends and supporters, whose primary interest is the long term prosperity of the club, even if it means short term success receives less priority.

Those three elements should get in a room for a goddamned day or two and figure out what the point of the club is. Are they a buying team? Are they a selling team? Are they a team made up of scrappy veterans with razor blades in their cleats?

Once they've figured out what they want to be, then they need to figure out how they're going to do it philosophically. A pressing team? A low block team? A possession-first or a countering team?

Once they've figured out how they're going to do it, then they need to think about how long they're willing to give to execute the philosophy. That way the staff have reasonable expectations on what success (and failure) looks like. If, for whatever reason, things aren't working, all shareholders will know the problem and know how to fix it.

Me? I can deal with losing. But I need to see something, anything, that gives me a reason to not just fücking walk away. It's been 16 years since this team had the slightest ounce of relevance. There's plenty of better options if I want to watch good soccer. There's plenty of better options if I want to watch local soccer. So give me a reason to watch THIS team. Do it now.

sitruc, bigredfutbol, Mountainia and 7 others repped this.
  5. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    This sounds ominously like developing a plan! Why do you hate freedom?

sitruc, shawn12011, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  6. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And still Dave Kasper survives. Isn't he the guy who oversaw the descent to three Wooden Spoons in a decade (other than ownership).

To this 96er it just feels like deck chairs on the Titanic until Kasper goes AND Levien sells.

TowsonDad, tallguy, shawn12011 and 10 others repped this.
  7. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Ominous that Dave Kasper is not on that list.

Winoman, DCU, United1 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    After the nuclear and/or climate holocaust, the only things that will survive are cockroaches...and Dave Kasper, and Chad Ashton.

sitruc, shawn12011, fatbastard and 6 others repped this.
  9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    When you read the DCU official announcement, Rushton's replacement will really be both Rushton and Kasper's duties. The GM will report directly to management and will be responsible for the roster creation. While he's not fired, Kasper clearly is put out to pasture and will be left with his calculator to figure out salary rule compliance. This is a useful step, now go get Lagerway.

10. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Freedom and fun. Why does he hate freedom and fun?

Winoman and revelation repped this.
  11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Goff:

Ashton, an assistant since 2007, will be reassigned within the organization

Thx,

Jay!

12. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Chaderino is the real boss here...

Winoman repped this.
  13. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    In the DC United game, you have to fight Chad last and he is going to kick your ass...

sitruc, majspike, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  14. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Goff:

Kasper will remain in his position, said people familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter. The club has hired a search firm to identify a replacement for Rushton. Her successor would work alongside Kasper rather than under him, those people said.

15. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is incredible that Kasper is still will the club after consisently actually for many years not providing quality talent for the club. A lot of blame has been laid at the ownership and based on MLS Salaries from the Players Union DC spent $16.3 Million on salaries which was ranked No 12 of of 28 teams which ranged from a high of $32.2 M for Toronto to $9.6 M for RBNY. Note Philly was second from the bottom ranking 27 of 28 teams with $10.4 M yet both RBNY and Philly made the playoffs.

Kasper and the coaching staff have been given resources but they are squandering the money they have been given. See the attached graph.

Attached Files:

16. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Pshah, $10 million of that money went to hookers and blow so we only wasted $6.3 million...

17. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been looking at the money given the so called soccer experts like Kasper in running soccer operations by the ownership and I have to say I was surprise by the resources ownership provided. The players Union salary info for 22 showed that DCU ranked 12th out of 28 teams in salary cap spending. DC spent a little less than double what Philly or RBNY spent on their teams and they both made the playoffs.

18. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I think Levien is a crap owner who does not know how to lead a winning organization but we can't fairly argue that he and Kaplan won't provide the financial resources to at least routinely be an MLS playoff team.

But why the hell does Kasper still have a job? Hasn't he, at the end of the day, been the one deciding how to spend the money on talent (or, in the last two years, approving Rushton's decisions on that)?

sitruc, TowsonDad, Alejandro 10 and 3 others repped this.
  19. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Incriminating photos: the lifeblood of the inadequate.

20. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Kasper seems to have a Chad Ashton-esque sticking power. He came on during the KP years and I had more than one direct run in with him about how I felt our team was inadequate. Back in those days DK and KP were willing to have conversations with fans in bars after matches or on pre-season road trips... I questioned his judgment then about what our team needs were but then we went on to win MLS Cup 2004 and several supporter shields. Then they tried to overhaul the team with Gallardo in 2008 and we've basically been in a downward spiral ever since...

sitruc, TowsonDad, Alejandro 10 and 4 others repped this.
  21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garth Lagerway is available, right?

TowsonDad, shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  22. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Why would he leave Seattle?

PSURoss repped this.
  23. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Aha! Now we know the reason...it's YOUR fault! :)

24. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    There was a point in time when the fans were trying to vote(?) him out of the GM job. There's some kind of retention vote for his job. Weird?

25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.