End of 2022 Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Oct 10, 2022.

1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    So why should we believe anything will get better? Rooney isn't picking great players whether because he isn't given support/resources or through his own poor choices. We won't change out Kasper, Rushton or anyone else. We still have the same assistants and trainers. If Taxi leaves and Ochoa leaves, is that it, we call next season dead?

SoccerMullet repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I strongly fear next season will be dire as well. Kasper has presented the faithful with 3 spoons on his watch. Levien kept Olsen around for 10 years. There is cheapness for sure in Levien and Kaplan, but more importantly there is incompetence, they've screwed the pooch with Swansea as well, so we shouldn't feel special.:D

3. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were not only mid-table, but if we'd have won those two godawful games we turned from wins into losses in the last 15 minutes, back to back, we'd have been tied with Philly for the lead in the East on PPG. Losada was let go right after that. Still, losing those two games the way we did was a serious problem, and probably pointed to Losada's departure.

Losada may have been a terrible man manager, but for the first time in a long time I enjoyed watching the soccer DC played. Again, objectively and subjectively, his selection as coach _at the time_ was a good move, and the trajectory was great until it wasn't.

Like I said, I wouldn't object to shaking up the front office, but mostly it's just change for change's sake unless there's a concrete direction to it. I'm not sure who sets the agenda, but I can tell you I don't trust the ownership to do it. Talent identification has been too much of a mixed bag, for sure. I've disagreed with the way Loudoun's been run and used in the DC hierarchy from the beginning, so I don't mind parting with any of the three you mention.

Still, the murder weapon usually has a lot of prints on it. Hanging 'em all is rarely the right answer. I'd _really_ like to say our goodbyes to Ashton, though. If there's a kingdom-builder among the bunch, it feels like it's him, and there's definitely some chicken grease on that mofo.

4. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    What again does she do? I mean other than playing Football Manager when looking for players.

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    According to this logic, the year and a half she was with Atlanta shouldn’t count either. Only won a few Cups in that time.

Thx,

Jay!

6. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Ok, I was WAY wrong. She is exactly the person in charge of identifying and recruiting players. Per the DC United website:

Yowza, Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  7. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    So, is she not good at her job (promoted above her skill set), does she not have enough of a network, does DC United not have enough draw, and/or does ownership not give her enough to be successful?

Identifying and landing one gem, in Taxi, is not enough...

SoccerMullet and Winoman repped this.
  8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Reading a bio on her said the TL in Atlanta was starting the technical department, recommending to Carlos Bocanegra, but then once the department was fully staffed stepping back from recruitment and just doing analysis.

https://www.fifa.com/news/lucy-rushton-atlanta-united-s-unsung-hero

Thx,

Jay!

sitruc, Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So that article just begs the question of who actually does talent evaluation? If Rushton is analytics, Mairs is focused largely on Loudoun and Kasper plays with numbers, who the ******** is actually determining if a player is any good in whatever "system" it is that DCU plays.

10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    It should be primarily the coach.

11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mothers who send in VHS tapes of their kids playing soccer at the local sandlot.

12. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    I mean an earlier post suggested she is still evaluating on tape, not even YouTube, so you're likely on to something

Winoman repped this.
  13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I hear this Conor is “nationally ranked.”

Thx,

Jay!

14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and so go bye bye the RBMF!! :D

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  17. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lone bit of joy in a dark season.

Alejandro 10, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Unfortunately the Galaxy won.

Q*bert Jones III, shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They will lose soon.

sitruc, Winoman and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I still remember the first time I saw these. I thought it was a fake promotion that some Metrostars hater (shouldn't that be everyone) put together to make fun of the the Metrostars. I was stunned to find out that this was the work of the Metrostars.

21. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I'm not sure those ideas are not consistent. I mean, who better to sabotage the team than someone on the inside with a grudge against management...

22. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

THAT"S IT!!!! Dave Kasper has a grudge against DC United management!!! You solved the mystery Scooby Doo!!!

23. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    He did not like us beating the River hounds in the 1976 US Open Cup semi-finals to then go on and lose to AC Scranton, whom the River hounds had defeated in the league six times that season...

Alejandro 10, shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :whistling: Za Za Mudio (oh oh) :whistling:

sitruc, GumbyG, revelation and 1 other person repped this.