End of 2022 Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Oct 10, 2022.

1. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    #476 DCU, Dec 21, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    Wow this franchise sucks.

Another team will draft the next Turner/Zimmerman. Kasper will stick with mls retread who adds no value.

2. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This trade sucks. Ruan is a dirty thug who’s only an ok player. Crap trade.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    DC United can always be counted on to pick the least likable player available at any given moment.

MattR, sitruc, Alejandro 10 and 3 others repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Breaking new!!!! DC United trades the four stars from their jersey (not really relevant any more) for a signed /Tony Meola pair of socks, and a future Meola off spring.

sitruc, Chesco United, PSURoss and 5 others repped this.
  5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So, Orlando gives up this guy for a college prospect -- he clearly didn't rate with the Orlando brain trust. How interesting, Rushton gets axed, DCU begins a "search" for a GM, meanwhile "Dumpster Diving Dave" is in charge of the rebuild. But Levien's right, he didn't cheat on his taxes because he's too stupid to do so.

sitruc, Alejandro 10, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  6. SoccerMullet

SoccerMullet Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 23, 2022
    Levien probably working hard on rehabbing Taxi 'Soft R' Fountas' image as we speak.

7. SoccerMullet

SoccerMullet Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 23, 2022
    I'm fine with the 'future is now' approach. Watching some of the Ashton-led games left a 'future is never' taste in my mouth, which was not great.

fatbastard and griffin1108 repped this.
  8. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    So, consensus was that this draft lacks midfield talent.

What do we do?

Draft two of them!!! #Kasperout.

I’d love to be wrong, but what a joke of an organization.

sitruc, Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now I feel better, Dave told me what I needed to know.

DCU repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shakur Mohammed
    ForwardDuke / Generation adidas

He played in 19 games (all starts), this year with the Blue Devils, logging 1,548 minutes, scoring 10 goals and adding two assists. In two years of college soccer, Mohammed made 37 appearances (35 starts), scoring 13 goals to go along with nine assists.

Yowza repped this.
  11. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    With Losada taking over in Montreal I wonder if he will come after any of his former players here. We've had a ton of turnover (which is good, we needed it) but still on the roster from the Losada-era as of now are:

Birnbaum
    Canouse
    Garay
    Greene
    Hines-Ike
    Najar
    Robertha
    Samake

I could maybe seeing Losada being interested in Canouse, Hines-Ike, Najar, or Robertha...

Also, of course, maybe he'll want to bring Chad Ashton on to his staff...

12. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I see Kaspar saying "they may take our Taxi but they will have to pry Chad from my cold dead fingers!"

Alejandro 10, DCU and Winoman repped this.
  13. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a search for "Tony Meola getting hit in the balls" to show how DC got a bad deal here.

Zero hits on that, unfortunately.

shawn12011 and DCU repped this.
  14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So DCU drafts Ben Stitz in the 2nd round from Penn and Aidan Rocha in the 3rd round from Georgetown.
    Maybe Canouse, which could result in some GAM. Losada won't be interested in BHI or Najar because of injury/durability concerns and Losada didn't favor Robertha when he was here. However, I would give Losada $200K in GAM to take Ashton.

anotherfan, Alejandro 10, DCU and 2 others repped this.
  15. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Also, with Arena, Olsen, and Losada, we now have 3 former head coaches serving as head coaches elsewhere in the league at the same time. That seems like it's got be a record of some sort...

sitruc, shawn12011, Alejandro 10 and 2 others repped this.
  16. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And two former assistants in Bradley and Wolff.

sitruc, shawn12011 and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  17. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I don't think this is Kasper, at least from the idea phase. He may well have executed the MLS aspects of it, but all these win in '23 moves are strictly Rooney pulling the string IMO.
    That implies that anyone in our FO is looking toward the future, which I don't think anyone is looking past this season.
    I could see BHI being of interest, except that he's coming off a major injury and hasn't proven he can hold up for a whole MLS season. Najar would be a gen for them, but it would be suicidal to give Losada a player as popular as Najar. People would be out front of the Eagle Bank club burning effigies of the whole FO and the rest, I don't see them as special and worth the effort and again, I can't see us doing anything for Losada and by extension Montreal right now. I am not sure any of them would walk across the street to piss on Losada, even if he was on fire.
    I'd be great with a future is now approach. I've been waiting for it, since 2019, but we don't have the foundation of a championship/cup winning team. I am not sure we even have the foundation of a playoff or even a winning team at the moment. Rooney may yet weave a rug, but right now, we have jack shit. I think we're still missing very key pieces and have given little indication that we're pursuing those pieces in a credible way.

With this FO, if they said the sun came up this morning, I'd still go outside and look up to be sure. They're so inept at even the most basic aspects of running a 3rd tier soccer team. They fail at player acquisition. They fail at cultivating their young players more often than not. They fail at basic PR functions. They fail at the delivery of anything more than the worst new stadium in the league. They fail at managing a fanbase that would settle for being above average more often than not. These guys could f_ck up a wet dream.

shawn12011, SoccerMullet and DCU repped this.
  18. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I have no problem trading a draft pick for a veteran defender. The draft is mostly useless especially by this team. However, have we signed any players at all from outside the league or only players within MLS who weren't in their teams' plans any more?

19. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeahze is from outside MLS, and Klich would be, too, if they land him.

Otherwise, signing players almost solely from MLS has worked before. Who's to say it won't work again?

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No. no. no most dangerous attacking right backs in MLS. With 2 goals and 2 assists in 63 games.

Winoman and revelation repped this.
  21. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    His numbers are better than that, it’s more like 10G & 15A, but I don’t recall exactly what I saw the other night. That said, at least for DCU the draft is mostly worthless, it’s been almost a decade since we took a player who was in the league after 2 years, save for the last 2 drafts, to see how they pan out. Other teams prolly do better, I’m just not doing that research right now. I’ve always gotten a sense, and feel free to prove me wrong, that the players who have come from the draft and been long term impact players are few and far between. But that’s my cloistered DCU-centric view.

JRHokie and shawn12011 repped this.
  22. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I am saying is that when Dave tries to sell me with those underwhelming numbers I'll take a wet burlap sack over and overpaid dangerous attacking right back. It's not your or my job to find out what this guy's stats are, that is his job in selling him to us.

23. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    #498 PSURoss, Dec 23, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    I don't think it's Dave. Since Rooney got here, there has been no talk of building an identity and acquisitions have been very much win in '23 oriented.

And as I said somewhere on here the other day, we don't have that kind of foundation of a team. If we were a .500 team in '23, I think I'd be impressed with what was accomplished. If wouldn't be good enough, but its more than the sum of the parts right now. The idea the Klich is going to be our 3rd DP is wholly uninspired. 100% a TAM guy I could be excited about. A pair of 32 year old DPs on a team that should be rebuilding is just f_king stupid. Like beyond Kasper stupid. Maybe if one of them were Ronaldo I might not be so put off, but neither Klich nor Benteke (based on what he showed last season) are the guy who is going to turn this team into a trophy contender. We'd be locked into them through '24 so no rebuild could start before then, based on what's been reported about their contracts/negoiations. And then there's Taxi. A lot of people I see on social media are lukewarm at best for him. The report MLS released was unbelievably inconclusive, which is pretty much what we sait was back when it happened, a he said, she said sort of thing. Who knows how he's going to be coming back this season, especially if Benteke is the boat anchor I think he is. He'd been figured out by the league by late summer. No opponent is going to lay off of Taxi until Bentke proves he's a threat, which so far, he hasn't.

shawn12011, DCU and Winoman repped this.
  24. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice if we had more of them playing together to go on. We got 66 minutes of them playing together and they each scored a goal in that short window... then the world blew up.

25. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    His 2020 and 2021 assists per 90 minutes was 0.23-0.27. last season, he was 0.07... so perfect for DC United. Of course, maybe he has a Gressel like rebound and finds his relative form. 1 assist every four matches is better than any defender we have other than K. Smith.

Of course, his danger maybe to the supporters behind the goal...

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.