End of 2022 Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    and gives cheap work.

Winoman and revelation repped this.
  2. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    He is gearing up for the World Cup and the potential job opportunities he will have...

sitruc repped this.
  3. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I could see B Smith getting offered a job if he can get healthy. I believe Odoi-Atsem and Guediri are gone. I doubt Rooney rates them as skilled enough. They both are athletic enough but putting in consistent crosses seems to elude them.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  4. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Plus we have the new left back... I watch Hammarby when they are on ESPN+ (Forza Bajen!!!) but honestly the left back never stood out. He is serviceable I guess. Now if we could get Ludwigson...

5. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Pairs up well with how the decent crosses seem to be actively eluded by those on the other end of the call. Go team!

song219 and revelation repped this.
  6. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    This is one of the things that separates good teams from bad teams. If your crosses are all over the place, the strikers never know where to run to actually attack them. So they end up just playing more conservative or just guessing where the ball might go.

Same works on defense, where a great team, the defenders and keeper understand who is covering what angle...

sitruc, song219, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  7. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    At $285k in guaranteed salary, we'd have to pay someone to take him and easy a chunk of his salary.

Winoman repped this.
  8. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Rumors of Martin Rodriguez's sale forthcoming ...

https://bolavip.com/cl/colocolo/Regresa-Martin-Rodriguez-Gustavo-Quinteros-juega-al-misterio-sobre-si-el-delantero-esta-en-cay prefrpeta-de-refuerzos-para-Colo-Colo-en-2023-20221026-0073.html

Not a fan of the idea. There might be faster guys, but he's shown a high work rate, good speed, a grasp & ability to play in this league, and a willingness to die for the shirt which can't be said for a TON of guys who have cycled through DCU in the last 5 years.

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  9. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Callens please! From the MLS website regarding NYCFC off-season moves:

“We'll see what happens, but Callens and Johnson are eligible for free agency and will likely be two of the three most-coveted players on the market.”

Oh wait, we’re set. We have Birnbaum and Pines.

Yowza, sitruc and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lagerwey is staying with Seattle.

11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad. I was hoping...

shawn12011 repped this.
  12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me too

Winoman repped this.
  13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  14. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC gets $50,000 2023 GAM from Austin and the 26th pick in this year's re-entry draft for the 1st pick in the re-entry draft, which Austin then used on Sofiane Djeffal.

15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds like a steal for a guy we cut loose..........................

16. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I have no clue why Austin FC is interested in Djeffal, he's horrendous.

United1 and shawn12011 repped this.
  17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree.

In a system where he doesn't have to cover for a terrible central defensive set-up (and an often otherwise uninterested midfield) I think he could thrive. He has good instincts and can be patient - when he's asked to not be patient with the ball, he makes mistakes, but he's young and can be coached.

sitruc, Yowza, GumbyG and 5 others repped this.
  18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I think the saga of Djeffal is a warning regarding European players who opt for US colleges. While @fatbastard is right that Djeffal is "coachable", he is also heading into his mid-twenties. By that point, a soccer player should largely be a finished product. That fact that a European citizen comes to the US to play 4 years of college ball indicates either: 1) a player who is just wanting a US college education (maybe?) or 2) a player not "good enough" in the European system to merit a serious pro offer who then figures he can ply his trade in the US for 4 years of scholarship education. I think #2 is generally the case. These guys are "OK" as players, but they aren't going to move the needle and their international roster spots make them prime candidates to get cut.

Hedbal, Alejandro 10 and shawn12011 repped this.
  19. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 assist in 14 matches. They need better than that from a winger who takes an international spot.
    I hope they replace him, but even if they don't they should play Ravel there and back him up with kids. They don't need two non-productive international wingers, and Ravel is probably staying, so...

revelation repped this.
  20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ding-ding you get a cookie!!!

revelation repped this.
  21. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rodriguez was actually second on the entire team (which includes Gressel) in key passes. He's plenty useful if players could finish the chances he sets up for them.

Also, Ravel isn't a winger, so the team can't sell Rodriguez and expect Ravel to give the same production out wide.

PSURoss, Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  22. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This came out of nowhere.

sitruc and Yowza repped this.
  23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff confirms the Santos signing, adds that DC is eyeing Tyler Miller as a free agent GK, which would signal the end of David Ochoa in DC.

sitruc repped this.
  24. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course he can, Rodriguez didn't produce anything. Key passes is a trash stat because it implies he's setting up teammates to score, which just wasn't the case with Rodriguez.
    Ravel has played wing with DC already (SLC and Orlando, a draw and a win) so of course he can play there. If DC doesn't sign an attacking midfielder, first off, shame on them, then he can play in the middle but if not he can play wide and he should at his price point as opposed to being on the bench or starting Fletcher or somebody else not ready.
    Now, he plays exclusively on the right when he plays wing, so I guess that's an issue. I just don't see the need for two internationals that don't produce when you have an opportunity to lose one and fill that spot with someone else who can potentially be productive.
    Rodriguez isn't a bad player at all. He was really one of United's better players, but he's a TAM player and he has to produce. He's not the kind of winger that gets to the endline and creates havoc, he cuts inside every time.
    I will say he has potential to be more productive with a better team, no doubt. I'd rather get someone else who is more sure to be productive, as we've seen Martin and are left wanting. For example, Kimarni Smith is half the player but more dangerous from the wing. Martin just doesn't factor into the attack.

3 shots all season, none on target. 21 key passes? I need to see those passes, I can't remember 21 instances of him setting guys up. He connected on 10 out of 40 crosses, so I assume that's half of the key passes. I could be wrong of course, but that stat does nothing to assure me he's a factor in the offense.

25. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santos was great last season when I saw him play. This can work out great, hopefully he's still at that level this season as he's getting old now.
    Miller is a good keeper, I'd be happy with him.