Emo tears ACL (2021 Roster thread)

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Auriaprottu, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just about to post this. Nothing concrete has come out. The last time this happened was with Gressel, before he was sold. If Heinze runs off Josef...

He better win now. Or the fan base will never support him.

2. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barco got sent into exile once upon a time, and he recovered. I'm not terribly worried.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not panicking. Yet.

On the one hand you assume if it was something minor that the faces of the club would be willing to say so. It's not unheard of that personalities clash between coaches and players at this level. Then again, even for minor stuff maybe the club is best not talking about it under the hopes that it blows over quickly and folks move on.

This made the CounterAttack (SiriusXM) Top 5 at 5, and in discussing the worst case scenario Meola and Dunny implied a team should typically side with the manager in such disputes, but also admitted that given the team's situation right now Heinze may not have the traction to automatically make that assumption. (But that would being Atlanta back to the whole "If not Heinze, then who?" debate.)

I'm optimistic enough that I'd like to think all parties come back to the table ASAP and resolves their differences. In theory everyone wants the same thing, anyway, right?

Right?

* sigh *

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The difference was Tata was very clear why Barco was in the dog house - "an act of indiscipline". Well okay, maybe Tata was not very clear, but he let us know Barco had be a bad boy and we soon found out exactly what "an act of indiscipline" means.

It will be interesting to see if Josef suits up for tomorrows match. His absence on the bench would be troubling.

SabreKhan repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A storm's a-brewin'...

6. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if what happened to Toronto is happening here. New coach, star striker removed from the squad, poor results to start his tenure....

The problem for Heinze, and the front office, is that Heinze has not had the results to build up enough trust for the fan base, me included, to side with the manager against a player without any explanation. Especially if that player is the face of your club, so much so that you sent a statue of him to all your season ticket holders.

There could be very good reasons for keeping the whys quiet, and they might even be to cover for Josef, but I'm not sure the club has much of an option. If the squad continues to have problems scoring goals, and a healthy Josef continues being frozen out, and we aren't told why, the fans will revolt, and games at the Benz will become very unpleasant for the squad.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    If this is friction between star player and coach then that says something about Gabriel Heinze. Tata and Josef butted heads, as did Frank de Boer and Josef, but neither manager needed to isolate their star and keep him off the field. The front office promised Heinez more control than FdB had, so apparently Gabriel is testing that control. The FO really needs to get in front of this and let us know what is going on.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Thiago Almada?

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    IIRC...

Almada was someone Heinze both knew from Velez and wanted to bring to Atlanta, which means he's talented but don't know how the player would feel with Heinze now gone.

More of a wing player than central, and by some accounts is considered a replacement for/ upgrade to Barco. The problem before was the cost, as he's allegedly drawn interest from European clubs, as well.

This would likely be an Almiron-type deal, where the interest is still in selling on but likely not at the profit margins originally dreamt with Barco because Almada is more of a known commodity and would possibly be the most expensive signing by Atlanta.

So, it would be a sign by the club of their intent to regain relevance and compete for honors, but it would mean buying down Franco's DP status and signal the need to move Barco by the end of the season (due to competition for playing time).

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #36 GunnerJacket, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    FWIW...

The chatter has picked up about this offer after the announcement. Roberson discusses it on his latest podcast, largely referencing 2 points:

- There is an alleged report linking Almada with some form of assault charge, but very limited public info about it. However, it's one of the things that, if true, the club should be sure was properly resolved and not serious, lest they're taking on some form of wife beater or whatever. Count me among those who would want certainty of character before rewarding somebody with big money.

- Yes, there is little room for another Moreno or Barco on the pitch, so it stands to reason if Atlanta does make this signing the assumption is Barco is likely about to leave. The Twitterverse seems convinced/afraid he's just another Barco, yet at the same time we've been lamenting Barco's limited effectiveness for some time now. Seems to me that if we think Almada would be better then that's an upgrade. Which, if true, I would invite the critics to point to a better available option or at least acknowledge the club is trying. As they like to say, "Five Stripes don't stop!"

I've no personal idea if the guy is that good, but he's apparently with Barco on the Argentine Olympic team as we speak, so folks can possibly tune in to watch and wonder if those two are talking to each other about Atlanta. Barco started both games thus far but has managed just 2 shots and been subbed out both times. Almada came on in the 2nd match. Argentina is currently 3rd in their group and possibly needs a result against Spain if they're to reach the knockout stages.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barco had some good touches in Argentina's loss to Australia. I didn't watch the Egypt game, but in the highlight video his only notable touch was an unforced giveaway in the attacking 1/3.

I wasn't watching for Almada, so no idea if he's any good.

12. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Barco's Olympics are over, as are Almada's. Not sure if that's good or bad. Barco was mostly a non-entity in today's game.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Saw that. Previous matches made it look like the Argentine side just runs around with minimal team strategy. Methinks Barco is as much a symptom as a contributor.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cesar Luis Merlo has spoken. Looks like Almada is headed this way...

SabreKhan repped this.
  15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, it appears Almada will come but only after Jan. 1. In the meantime, Atlanta signed Brazilian winger Luiz Araujo from French champions Lille, so pardon me if I'm left wondering why the dude wanted to give up on Champions League play and come here. Lille is a good French side that will draw 35-50k per match depending on their form.

Luiz was not a guaranteed starter as Lille changed formations a fair bit en route to the Ligue 1 title, but he featured in 28 league matches last year (starting 17) and during 6 Champions League fixtures the season before. Obviously Lille wasn't too chafed about his leaving to nix a sale, and maybe Lille needed money after 2020. Regardless, Luiz has apparently agreed and is on his way.

Suspicion is he and Barco will play wide on opposite sides of each other, with Luiz on the right. Both will favor coming inside, however, to feature their stronger feet, will the outside backs will feature more for width in attack. This would mean Moreno would have to be mindful of these guys coming into the center, which will be okay if everyone is on the same page. Better still if Luiz and Barco start shooting more in the process.

So basically this is Damm's replacement. A poor man's Arjen Robben. Let's see if MLS gives him a chance to shine.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luiz Araujo is exactly the kind of player that can turn our fortunes around!!

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's certainly not a youth prospect gamble. If we're lucky he's coming in at a time when he's peaking yet still aiming for one next big contract. Maybe a Ruidiaz-level difference maker.

If he simply matches Moreno's current level of offensive verve, while playing a complementary role to him and Josef, that alone would do wonders for the attack. Like I said, what many folks hoped Damm would achieve.

18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Will Luis Araujo be available for the next game? I enjoyed his highlight-reel.

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Possibly. The good news is that he's already had a full preseason and his international paperwork shouldn't be an issue, so figure he MIGHT be able to meet the team and sneak in a workout or two. Assuming they have a common language somewhere for communication means he'll likely be available but not start, since he won't have been privy to the full strategy sessions, know how to read his new teammates, etc.

But if he's as good as we hope he should be good to start within a week of that.

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Sounds like if they can dot the eyes and cross the tees on the paperwork he will be available this weekend. That means Carlos will probably cross his eyes and sit on the tees. Football is football, I say play him even if he hasn't worked out with the team. We need some W's pronto.