Emo tears ACL (2021 Roster thread)

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Auriaprottu, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jeepers effin...

Well, maybe they can convert Franco or Moreno off the DP ranks and go sign Barco's eventual replacement this summer?

3. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting Moreno off the DP ranks enabled Atlanta to bring in Franco. If they had the Garber bucks to buy down Franco's cap hit below DP levels they'd have done it during the transfer. I think the plan is to do so, but probably won't be done until next year at the earliest.

No idea how much wiggle room the team has to bring in a player. They have some international slots, but financials are an issue. I wonder if putting Emo on DL frees up any space.

4. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emo on the season-ending injury list frees up the roster spot, but my understanding is that it doesn't free up any cap space in this particular instance. Other players on different contracts could in fact get some cap relief, but not in Emo's status. My understanding of the situation is incomplete, though, so please feel free to correct me.

That being said, I think we get some more minutes for Ibarra and Rosetto, and we move up a body from the 2s. We will see some transfers in the summer window, but I don't think Emo going down changes the top of the priority list for transfers (though I wouldn't have been surprised to see him moved out during the window, which may be off the table now).

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Love the thread title...so I wrote a poem

Emo tears,
    I Cried,
    Barco called up,
    Sure to get hurt,
    Josef too,
    Emo tears.

GunnerJacket, Auriaprottu and SabreKhan repped this.
  6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would invest in someone younger this season and transfer Emo.

7. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to happen. The Emo transferring at least. He'll be coming off a serious injury and makes too much money. No MLS team in their right mind would trade for him, and there's no way Emo would take the pay cut required to transfer out of the league.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Emo tears I cry,
    Amar Sejdic wipes them away.
    Guz, Miles, and Bello are off,
    Now Amar Sejdic cries Emo tears.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  9. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you pronounce that? My Bosnio-Germani-French-Canadian pronunciation is... not a thing.

"Sejik?" "Say-dik?" "Sej-dik?" "Sedik?" Any of those with "ch" instead of "k"?

10. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, why are we bringing in a supplemental roster guy from a team not appreciably better than us in the table?

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at that Montreal match and would be lying if I said he stood out for me --- perhaps my Spudz hatred was making me focus on Wanyama.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We got him for Garber bucks which has less value than Monopoly money. If he takes the pitch in one match it will be fiat money well spent considering how thin the ranks are right now.

Mach1 and SabreKhan repped this.
  13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And now that the transfer window is open hopefully we will get the sexy signing we all desire.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mod Note: Making this a catch all roster thread, for convenience. (Cause I'm a lazy a... Hey, a donut!)

Various notes from Doug Roberson @ the AJC:

- Atlanta hired... Dimitrios Efstathiou as the vice president of soccer operations and strategy. Not really related to roster moves but hopefully the filling of that position and some others will allow Eales and Boca to focus on the roster.

- Josef is considered doubtful for Thursday since he's been restricted to training alone since his Covid test down in Brazil.

- The team has said it will be actively looking to add a starter during the window, but while they may have funds for a transfer fee they're limited by roster budgets on what they can do. Team is exploring how to buy down other contracts, but may reserve those actions until certain of a prospect worth buying and wanting to come.

Auriaprottu and SabreKhan repped this.
  15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Sejdic

Roberson notes him as "strong in defense," and the team might be thinking his German pedigree + American College experience will evolve into a Gressel-like success. Based on comments from one NSC fan willing to share texts it sounds like Sejdic might be like Remedi, but perhaps less brash? It might be that he can be groomed into a true DM to complement (or backup) Sosa and Hyndman in the future.

16. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As depleted CM is in the roster, we needed a body. If something happened to Adams there'd be no one left. If this guy is remotely competent, it'll be money well spent.

As for major transfers, I have to think the ideal situation would be to sell Barco, and use the money from the transfer to buy down Franco. That would open up two DP spots. It wouldn't make the team a contender, there are way more holes than that, but two new attacking DPs would hopefully help the team score a goal every game or so.

Auriaprottu and GunnerJacket repped this.
  17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

18. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's the state of the team right there.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    That 6-1 game in the snow our inaugural season(s) seems so far in the distance now. Emo tears.

20. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team, as currently coached, will almost certainly never make a 6-1 scoreline in its favor, even with Messi in the middle, Kane up top, and Ronaldo on both wings. Almost every first touch is backwards. Possession of the ball is paramount to creating opportunities. Under Martino, nearly every first touch was towards goal, regardless of support, team shape, number of defenders, etc. Everything flowed forward with the expectation that the rest of the team would catch up. Often, the rest of the team did not catch up, and Atlanta lost possession only to have to retreat quickly against a counter-attack. The game was exciting at both ends even when we lost. Heinze, like deBoer before him, would rather possess the ball and build out of the back. At least Heinze, unlike deBoer, will at times get some touches for the forwards and midfielders.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, to be fair, that 1-6 score line was as much about the Loon's ineptitude as it was about the Stripes' own abilities.

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Not to mention is was snowing so they had to play with orange soccer balls. Still, I have very fond memories of that game.

23. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like that should have been in Minnesota's favor.

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I the spirit of Emo Tears I wrote this haiku:

Chickenwing handball
    Erick Torres is a blockhead
    Three points thrown away

SabreKhan repped this.
  25. VFish