Emmanuel Sabbi at Le Havre

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #776 Ceres, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Well, FC København probably got 10 times the budget and their starting 11 all earn at least around $800K or more a year and are all NT players, while the FC Midtjylland moneyball team are close to qualifying for the CL group stage and can afford signing a 25-yo player like Pione Sisto, who was among the assist kings in the Spanish league when he was only 22-yo old.

https://www.worldfootball.net/assists/esp-primera-division-2017-2018/

Even if they are highly talented, there is no way OB Odense or FCN are able to keep up with that. It's like German teams trying to keep up with Bayern München in the German league, at least in Denmark there are are 3 teams able to fight for the Championship.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    I've heard people say that his athleticism is off the charts compared to what you typically see in the league. Is that the case? Is he also solid technically and tactically?

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #779 m vann, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Based on what I've seen there's little doubt Sabbi's athleticism is far superior to many of his opponents. With that said, he's not just relying on that athleticism. He's very confident on the dribble. He can blow by you quickly but can also smartly use the dribble to create space for himself and others. His first touch is usually clean and especially in the attacking half of the pitch very direct and towards goal. Tactically speaking, he's killer on the counterattack with open space. You don't want him running at you on or off the ball. He sees space and attacks it with his runs. I've noticed he's good at timing those runs. Sabbi's never waiting on the ball. He meets the ball in stride. Sabbi's passing inside final third can improve, though. Sometimes he is taking the higher risk pass. Sometimes it works. When it doesn't work, it looks flashy and bad. One thing I really like is the dude is relentless in his defending. He's willing to track back. He's willing to get stuck in. He doesn't mind the dirty work to help himself or teammates. Playing with Odense, a club with better players, is going to help Sabbi tremendously. He could be USMNT worthy with a solid season at Odense.

edit:

Here's a video I just found which highlights some of what I said above.

Ceres, Zinkoff, edcrocker and 6 others repped this.
  5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #780 Ceres, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    OB Odense lost 2-4 in Aarhus against AGF, but OB and Sabbi were actually playing well and looking good with Sabbi being close to scoring twice and with him being involved in the first OB scoring, as you can see in the highlights below. Unfortunately for OB then AGF were just vastly more efficient and scoring some top quality goals, not least that last free kick goal by AGF left back Casper Højer :

Gorky, edcrocker, m vann and 1 other person repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    adam tash, charlie kennan, Ceres and 8 others repped this.
  7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench for the cup game today:

edcrocker, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SLUT!

OB won 1-2, I don’t think Sabbi played.

Winoman repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts:

EXALIFTIN and Winoman repped this.
  10. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Scores

edcrocker and BostonRed repped this.
  11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smuk, smuk

largegarlic repped this.
  12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet little finish from Sabbi. When he's running at you on the counterattack, he's incredibly dangerous. Sabbi never wastes those chances. Those defenders just back pedal and hope for the best. With his fast start at OB, I wonder if he's in line for a callup in the Nov friendlies.

Ceres, adam tash, largegarlic and 8 others repped this.
  13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember hearing a commentator in one of his games stating that he was one of the fastest players in their league.

mike4066 repped this.
  14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

m vann and eliwood repped this.
  15. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Extended highlights

EXALIFTIN repped this.
  16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how sabbi gets so little mention for spots on rosters/lineups in terms of the usmnt pool by posters on this site and articles in general doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

m vann and USSoccerNova repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    [QUOTE="m vann, post: 39034240, member: 25277"With his fast start at OB, I wonder if he's in line for a callup in the Nov friendlies.[/QUOTE]I screwed up this post the first time I tried it so I'm doing it again here so it's easier to read and find.

I think he's earned it, especially when you consider he's played way more, and been more productive, than Jon Amon, who has 2 caps.

Both made their first team debuts in Denmark in 17/18.

Sabbi has played 60 SuperLiga regular season games with 13 goals and 3 assists.
    Amon has played 26 SuperLiga regular season games with 3 goals and 2 assists.

Sabbi has played 22 various playoff-type games with 5 goals and 3 assists.
    Amon has played 11 various playoff-type games with 3 goals and 0 assists.

Sabbi has played 3 cup games with 0 goals and 1 assist.
    Amon has played 2 cup games with 1 goal and 1 assist.

Amon has also played 1 Europa Cup game with 1 goal. And, of course, he's two years younger.

But I think we perceive Amon differently because he's like found money. He wasn't a YNT prospect before going to Europe and seemingly came out of nowhere. Sabbi was a well-known YNT player who played in a U20 WC and played with an academy in Spain. And he is two years older.

I still think if Amon can stay healthy, he can be a very good pro, but right now, Sabbi is a better and more experienced player and deserves a USMNT look.

USSoccerNova and LouisZ repped this.
  18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Perhaps you should also add that Sabbi was born in 1997 while Amon was born in 1999 and moved to Denmark in 2016, while Sabbi moved to Denmark a year later, so besides Amon having suffered much too many injuries, then also regarding age and when they arrived, they are not quite comparable in that respect.

Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    so dumb, especially after seeing cbs go all in on covering the americans in the champions league

21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There's a pretty big difference between covering high-profile Americans playing in the Champions League and covering the 7th-place Danish finisher who feature one American who has never played for the national team.

If you told me that more than 500 people watched an Odense match on ESPN+ because Sabbi played, I'd be shocked.

USSoccerNova and gogorath repped this.
  22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think OB score? Or photosynthesized?

[emoji3496] 7
    [emoji1624] 0-1
    Jajaja, Jeppe! Like a tree needs photosynthesis to flourish, a football game needs a goal and we got it !! Tverskov chops the ball in after a pass to a deserved lead [emoji838][emoji836]️
    #obdk#lbkob

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i mean who outside of a select few who you think streams the danish superliga in the first place? might as well tailor it to that audience which id imagine is mostly american soccer nuts since i dont think the danish expat community really moves the dial much?

and covering the americans in the champions league takes actual effort, this just means favoring a match from a handful of teams. just isnt that hard.

24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i might just be mad that footy b i t e streams all now seem to require you turn off your adblocker which is a nope too

Winoman repped this.
  25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sabbi got a yellow card but OB scored again off a corner. Is Lyngby really bad?