Emilio Signed

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Colonial717, Jan 15, 2007.

1. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    You are not the only one who has seen him play. You saw him play a solid 12 years ago. The UNCAF games were on GolTV, so a number of us here got a look at him a few months ago and he looked good.

Personally, I didn't see them because Adelphia sucks balls. :mad: But Chico in particular thought that...
    I'm not convinced that you're wrong, I just don't see how you can be so sure that he'll flop where Ruy would've been a great signing.

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you haven't actually seen him play in, what, 10 years? More?

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He has solid skills and will be a good player for us. Like ANY player in the world going to a new league, he'll need some time to acclimate to the speed and physical nature of MLS not to mention the crap reffing. If Mengoa86 wants to deride, that's his prerogotive. Plenty of DC fans rode Christian hard too when he first signed on. That all worked out pretty good if you ask me. ;) :D

4. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon. It was worth it just for the Clint Mathis red card for stompin' on him.

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He went to Koln in '98 I believe, so yeah it would be about 10 years.

6. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot can happen in ten years...;)

7. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    But maybe it was Kasper that found him and Ray just said, yeah he looks well fit.

We don't know that it was ever Hudson that first noticed these players.

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I heard Hudson that thought he was "just a poacher"

9. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "Just a poacher," Ray would say something like that. He only scores goals, so we're not interested in him. Ray would rather have Chino. Man, I'm glad he's gone.

10. toomanywords

toomanywords Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Something tells me the team didn't spend as much energy worrying about Chino's visa as they will about Emilio's...

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he's exactly the same player today that he was 10 years ago.

:rolleyes:

12. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, so this Emilio isn't the same one who played for Koln? :confused:

:D

13. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    1. fc kOLN spent some time in the Bundesliga as well as B2, as far as I can tell, while Emilio was there. You seem to be incorrect on that Mengao.

Also, weren't you 12 years old in 1998? :D

I happen to doubt the analytical abilities of 12 year olds.

14. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    I'll go with KP, Kasper, Sohoen, and even Ray Hudsons' much more recent opinions, thanks.

I personally know his mother and saw him when he took a kick at his first soccer ball when he was 2 1/2. He has absolutely no first touch and no power behind his shot. And forget his aerial game.

15. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, snap.

According to his profile, Mengão86 is currently 20. Yeah, I think I'll ignore what he has to say with regard to Emilio's skills.

16. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Age-ist:eek:

17. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. 10 years ago I was a sophomore in High School, and was no longer playing soccer. (mostly because my grades were a joke so I wasn't eligible)
    Now, 10 years later, I've graduated from High School, served a 4-year enlistment in the Marines and now play D2 soccer. I've probably played about, 1.5 years worth of soccer in the last 10.

Bottom line, things change.

18. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I'll give you that, but you have to understand the circumstances around his time at 1860. At the time the coach (forgotten who it was) was notorious for not promoting any players from the reserves, regardless of whatever numbers were being put up. At the end of the day, Twellman just left out of frustration of not getting the chance in spite of producing very well with the reserves. He felt he was never going to get an opportunity as long as that coach was in charge.

So, in short, to suggest he didn't do well isn't exactly the cut and dried truth. He never got a fair opportunity.

19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am Brazilian...I have been following soccer my whole entire life. To say I don't know anything is just being ignorant. The first game I can remember was in 1992, when my club won their 5th Brazilian league championship. I started watching international leagues when Ravanelli and Vialli where the strikers for Juventus and they began to win titles again.

Take my opinion as you wish. I am not forcing you to believe it or not. But I will post it and allow people who are willing to accept it to read it.

20. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm American. I've been following baseball my entire life. To say I don't know anything is just being ignrant. The first games I can clearly remember were the 1971 World Series, when my favorite team, the Pittsburgh Pirates defeated the Baltimore Orioles over seven games.

Based on our respective histories of being sports fans, I'm just as qualified to be a baseball scout as your are to be a soccer scout.

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he's clearly better than that now if he's done so well in Honduras, don't you think? How long ago did you see him? I hope he does great and at $200,000, that's not too bad of a deal. Its certainly a risk, but hopefully he does well.

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeremy, et al .... calm down. We know your opinion, you've stated it numerous times. Once was sufficient. Now you're clogging up the thead to hear yourselves talk (or argue). I assume. You're adding nothing to the dialogue.

Let it go, man :D

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The question is why hasn't he moved out of Honduras sooner if he was doing so well there? He struggled in two countries and only found some success in Honduras. I think he left Koln around 2000 or so, so that means he has been in Honduras for 6 years.

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Completely different scenarios. You are really 44 years old? If you asked me, you seem a lot less mature than a 20 year old. I am here to discuss soccer (football), I am not here to discuss the sport with someone who spends the majority of their time in forums like Free-for-all and other non-soccer related forums and doesn't not even ONE football related opinion.

25. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    [youtube]WbNxbbpqXnY[/youtube]