Emerson... Was he needed and what are we getting?

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Madrid_1902, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have no doubts that Cannavaro is an excellent signing. IMO he was the best player at the World Cup and as been consistently excellent for Juve these past seasons. It makes all the more sense that we sign a World Class cntre back when our defence is poor. However, Emerson is a player that I am really not familiar with. I suppose it's becoming he is defensivley orientated and they don't really receive too much recognition in Brazil. The general consensus on this forum is that we have made a mistake in signing him but I went to another Real Madrid forum and there was one particular Juve fan raving about how good he is. He said that Emerson has been Juventus' best player these last 2 seasons. I'm really not familiar with Emerson at all so can people tell me what we are getting with him. Is he a true DM or is he just an ox like player that Capello loves so much? He's no stranger to football or big clubs but I'm still not familiar with him..

2. Real_Madrid_for_life

Feb 3, 2005
    Alone he wouldn't be that good, but since we're hearing that Real are interested in another DM (Xabi), I think Emerson would work very well with a younger, more vibrant dm. Besides he wasn't that expensive and he's got 2 good years left in him, 3 tops. Plus from what I hear he played really well for Juve last season, so I think we should atleast give him a chance, now that he's here.

3. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Real MAdrid for life said. By himself he will not be that good, with help he will be a good player.

4. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Capello played him in a 4-4-2 system alongside Viera. Both players are predominantly defensive minded so pairing him with someone like Xabi worries me. Xabi is not a pure DM but he operates must comfortablly when sitting in front of the back 4. It's obvious that Xabi Alonso isn't blessed with pace and from what I watched of Emerson in the World Cup he wasn't that quick either. This pairing would actually worry me due to the lack of pace and that neither has real cutting edge going forward. It's not likely to happen though as Liverpool are hardly going to push one of their best players out the door.

5. Canterano#1

Canterano#1 New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Skelleftea,Sweden
    Raul Garcia from Osasuna was on target a while ago...
    Do you think he's still an option for Capello and Mijatovic?

6. Real_Madrid_for_life

Feb 3, 2005

Last thing I heard on Raul Garcia was a rumour a couple of days ago that we would purchase him and loan him to Osasuna for the next season, since they will be in the Champion's League.

7. Naughty by Nature

Naughty by Nature New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Earth: Europe : ??
    Here is how i see it , Diarra who most of us wanted would have cost too much , it would have been like the Essien deal, we would have been ripped of.

- Most of you argue that Emerson was horrible at the world cup, but tell me ONE player that was good from that team ? The so called best player in the world , Ronaldinho was nowhere to be found!

Last season, Emerson was pretty good at Juve and i believe he will be good for us too, so wait til you see him perform before moaning and starting threads.
    - Also he is a better option then the two thugs we have now.

8. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    I can't say I'm thrilled with the name, but I hear Juve fans were real happy with his perfomance. You would think that if Capello gets another piece or two and manages to get the team to play a solid, compact style, Emerson could do well. We'll see.

9. elblanco

elblanco Member

Jan 26, 2006

majority opinion on this forum is often based on ignorance about football. i remember when i said that raul was finished, 90% of posters ganged up on me, and who was right in the end? i also said that italy would be the world champions, that france would beat spain, that f. torres is shamelessly overrated, that riquelme was the best midfielder, that english have no skills, that germans can't dribble, etc... and i'm still to be proven wrong on any of these claims...

so you can relax when i tell you that emerson is an excellent signing.

10. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    cool .. :eek: :D
    no offence, but can u guess rit who Arsenal r gonna sign?? I need to get some sleep, cant help thinking about their next signing and stay up late ... :)

11. Real_Madrid_for_life

Feb 3, 2005

Buffon? you won't get him, he's already stated he wants to stay with Juve.

12. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know buffon's not going to EPL, let alone Arsenal .. but do you think RM be willing to let woodgate go to arsenal cheap ??

13. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy I am impressed. It makes me wonder why you grace us with your exalted presence in the first place.

14. Real_Madrid_for_life

Feb 3, 2005

Arsenal can piss off if they think we're gonna be doing them any favors anytime soon.

Back to topic.

15. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Last season he was good for Juve?? Did you see him against Arsenal, he had the pace of a corpse. He "looked good" for Juve in Serie A because they bribed all the refs so i Guess he would look good. However in the Champions League, where Juve could not manage to bribe the refs, he was appalling.

16. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ya i agree he's too damn slow .. but he's more like a 5th central defender who plays just below the midfield .. his tackling's not really bad .. he's strong .. but he's going to save RM's a$$ a few times this season i suppose ..

17. Naughty by Nature

Naughty by Nature New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Earth: Europe : ??
    There is difference between the players actuall performence and the ref giving nonexisting freekick and penalty's.
    - Well, 90% of our player's performence versus Arsenal was horrible, but that doesn't make them bad players does it ?

18. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Emerson is one of the best DM in the world (top 5). Solid and consistent, not bad with the ball. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

19. Real_Madrid_for_life

Feb 3, 2005

What the hell does bribing a referee have to do with a player's ability to play football? Your reasoning can only be found in fantasy movies or novels.

20. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

well thanks nostradamus, now that you've spoken I know "everything's just gonna beeeeeee alllright"

:rolleyes:

21. LosMerengues89

Jan 1, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Wow, I'm SOOOO gonna check with you before I bet ever again. So I'm assuming if you bet you'd be a millionaire...:rolleyes:

22. polat_dgn

polat_dgn New Member

Apr 1, 2006
    ENGLAND
    Emerson is good, no need to question that. But the problem is: who will be his partner next season ? i hope Diarra will.

23. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Wait until his ends his career. As unlikely as it may be he stil has enough quality to make a dramatic resurgence.

You made predictions on a football match...you were right as well....you must join an elite club for being able to successfully predicting the outcome of a 2 way possibility....Oh and I told me friends that Italy would win the World Cup after the 4-1 game against Germany, can I join the Elite club?

Funny that you say some posters are ignorant when I find it unbelievablly ignorant that you cliam to be the only poster to point out these 2 statements.

Well England produces the best players in general out of the United Kingdom. However, out of the UK also came Georgie Best who was one of the most skilful players ever.

Your arrogance from this statement is nauseating so instead you should actually try and participate to the discussion.

24. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    elblanco,

Can you tell me what the winning lottery numbers are going to be this Saturday? :D

25. botch

botch New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Barca/Melbourne/B.A
    Best wasn't english though.