Emerson Hyndman

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, May 31, 2015.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    In our opener against Myanmar in the U-20 World Cup, Hyndman turned in a Man of the Match performance, notching a secondary assist and the game-winning goal.

Plus he's already got a cap with the men's team (against Czech Rep.), so it's time for his thread...

2. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We know what he can do for our youth teams, but I don't really think he's shown anything that good yet with Fulham. Getting games at that age is impressive, but he's going to need to start showing something. He lost his place with Fulham because of injuries, but also because other players were contributing more to Fulham's midfield than he was. Once Rubin lost his place in the lineup, he earned it back. I'd like to see Hyndman do that with Fulham.

4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think a lot of folks would disagree with this assessment. I thought he showed a lot in his games with Fulham. His role with them was significantly different than his current advanced role with the U20s. It looked like he was asked to sit deep, circulate the ball, and help Parker on the defensive side of the ball. His play wasn't perfect and he made errors that would be expected of an 18 year old in his first 10 professional games. He did however show that he had the skill and mind to comfortably play at that speed, positional awareness to cover for teammates defensively, and willingness to make hard tackles. His physical shortcomings that are often brought up did not seem to be an issue.

The part about him losing his place is nonsense. When he came back from injury, Fulham had six games left and were close to relegation. They didn't lose another game until the last one of the season. No coach is going to make that change for a player who is becoming a pro. Fulham did the smart thing and let him play with their u21s.

5. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy looks like the real deal to me. He's composed on the ball, he has good vision, he covers a fair amount of ground, he is inventive, he mixes it up in the box. I haven't seen a bunch of defensive bite yet, but he isn't asked to play that role with the youth team with Marky Delgado behind him, and I'd argue his best position anyway is as a #8 with a #6 behind him.

I'm trying to temper expectations because I've seen youth players play well in central midfield before for us and not have that translate to the senior level (Greg Dalby, Danny Szetela, Bryan Arguez, Jared Jeffrey). But Hyndman looks to have the tools to be a good one.

6. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got another goal this morning against New Zealand U20

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    So far, I still like him better in the deeper role he played with Fulham. It may just be that he releases the ball so quickly, but he doesn't look out of place physically. I recall him getting stuck in a couple of times last fall but not on this video.

8. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think he's done really well in the u-20 world cup so far. he's like zalelem but with more purpose and foresight. zalelem is like him but with more panache and vision.

9. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He and Rubin are tied with 2 goals to lead us so far in the tournament. I've been very impressed with how he's played, let's hope he keeps it up.

10. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well just saw Hyndman is now our leading scorer with 2 goals after one of Rubin's goals were changed to BJIV.

11. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he missed a PK though in our 3-0 loss to Ukraine

12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind he missed almost all of the second half of the season after breaking his collar bone in U20 CONCACAF qualifiers.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About time. One of our top prospects for his age group. Has a touch and speed of thought which stands out for a 20 yr old American. Also on the cusp of a move away from Fulham this summer.

Celtic fighting AC Milan and Borussia Dortmund for Fulham wonderkid Emerson Hyndman

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...und-for-Fulham-wonderkid-Emerson-Hyndman.html

Also been linked to Man U, West Ham, Spurs, Wolfsburg.

14. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Yeah he can play... To me Hyndman was our best mid at the U20 WC and hasn't exactly gotten any worse.

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please please please go to Dortmund. He will get the proper development he needs as well as if he has it he will phased into the first team properly.

dwsmith1972 and justinpaul10 repped this.
  16. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be sexy to see him and Pulisic together at Dortmund, but, they are pretty stacked at midfield. Weigl and Sahin, plus, they're actively looking to buy Tielemans. Not to mention Gundogan could return with his latest injury throwing a hiccup in the Man City transfer.

The next move for Hyndman needs to be a good one, ie, first team playing time sooner than later.

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be preferable for him to make the decision quickly, so he can get settled in and begin to work.

18. a4anthony

a4anthony Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Greer
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love for him to head to one of the top 3 Portuguese clubs.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

19. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't want him going to a superclub where he'll get buried. He can take a step up and still get playing time somewhere so I'm hoping that the right situation comes along for him.

superdave and beerslinger23 repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #20 ussoccer97531, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    He doesn't even regularly play for a bad Championship team, and I don't believe the contract had much to do with that. IMO, Hyndman would not be talked about much yet towards the NT if he wasn't plying his trade across the pond and didn't have the US Soccer hype machine working for him.

If he can't play at Fulham, chances are he's not playing at any of those big clubs thrown around. It would probably just be a Miazga situation, at best. Miazga's actually proven his worth at the comparable pro level to where Hyndman can't even regularly suit up, and Miazga still can't even get into the 18 for a high level club.

I hope him and his representatives don't buy all this hype, and realize where he's actually at as a player. He should find his level, and get regularly playing time. Then it can be judged whether or not he deserves to be a NT player. I actually don't think staying at Fulham would be bad. He probably will get more regular playing time next season, if he stays.

superdave and SUDano repped this.
  21. NCFan

NCFan Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Fulham is a dumpster fire of a team at this point. The Championship is the worst place for a player like Hyndman, followed closely by MLS. I'd like to see him in Germany, Italy or Spain, even if he had to play reserve games for a while. And if you don't believe they froze him out after he declined to sign a new contract, you haven't been paying attention.

22. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even think there's that much hype behind him, he's one our less talked about prospects imo.

Also, Fulham has shown in the past that they aren't always competent and capable of making the best player personnel decisions.

For example.... Bryan Ruiz only played in half of their games last season and wasn't even named to the squad on multiple occasions, he gets transferred to Sporting CP and lights it up for a team in the Champions League. I have a hard time believing someone like that isn't good enough to even crack the bench for a team in the Championship.

tomásbernal repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I have followed. I really don't think a team thats struggling to stay in the Championship is freezing out a supposed top player because he didn't sign a new contract.

SUDano repped this.
  24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His manager after this MOTM performance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We can of course disagree on how much we or others rate him, as we all do with players but Fulham was quite a poor situation this year and his own manager admits the quality and potential he has.

I BTW see practically zero hype about him on this side of the pond. His hype pales in comparison to the MLS hype machine.

25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    While I don't think he's a terrible player we all who watch the game closely can't think that Emerson Hyndman is AC Milan or Borussia Dortmund quality. He couldn't find consistent time with a Championship team. If we're all honest he does have some good qualities while others are not. He has very good touch and reading of the game. He has slow twitch movement and has no second gear to run past players, he has a tough time taking the ball in traffic and find quick outlets due to small frame, overall physical weakness. I'd like for him to find a team in Holland or France. Maybe a lower Bundesliga team but there are so many quality Germans that are better. Hope for the best.