News: Emerging players 2021/22 World Cup year

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by The Special One, Jun 29, 2021.

1. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    #1 The Special One, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Need something to distract me from the Santos shit show so I’m reviving a thread I use to make every year where everyone highlights players that will have a breakout year & everyone will shit can eachother for their takes on who they think are good players .

Players I’m super excited to see this year
    - Chico Conceição 18yo forward from FC Porto. Really think he could be a World Cup Bolter he’s that good, his style is so similar to Messi it’s uncanny.

- Herculano Nabian 17yo striker for Guimaraes known as the Portuguese Lukaku. He’s a unit but don’t think he’s a slouch with the ball. Remarkably nimble with his feet for such a large human being.

- Matchoi Djalo 18yo midfielder fro Pacos who’s been knocking on the door of the first team for a couple of years now, really dynamic player that I think will have a decent season.

-Carlos Borges 17yo from man city who as a winger. Takes a real talent to stand out in that academy, he’s got a great eye for goal and very direct. Thought I’d add one from the overseas contingent

I’ll start with those, I’m quietly excited for Diego Callai the 16 year old keeper from Sporting who looks like an insane talent but there’s a three way tug of war between Italy, Brasíl & ourselves.

Post your tips for the upcoming season, you might be wrong (I’ve been countless times) but it’s great for everyone to accross the lads that are coming through.

artielange84, NewLaw83 and HandofAbel repped this.
  2. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Vitinha, reports now stating he's remaining at Porto? Anyways the exact box tob ox the national team needs, fantastic player with amazing passing/vision/skill. Hopefully he has a huge season.

Ronaldo Camara + Paulo Bernardo at Benfica. A couple midfielders who ran the show when Benfica was turning heads in the CL youth league. Can they break through to the 1st team with JJ? Might need to get Brazilian passports:D

Goncalo Ramos- Clinical striker, will he get actual playing time?

Trincao: Needs to develop after having a so so season with Barcelona

Pedro Neto: Was right up there with Foden as the best young player in the EPL pre-injury, hopefully he doesn't lose any of his pace and explosiveness once he returns later in the fall.

David Carmo: CB from Braga who was looking imposing and turning heads across Europe, Liverpool were seriously looking at him before he broke his leg this Spring. How will he look when he returns to action?

Rafeal Leao: Will he actually look to be the best soccer player he can be and utilize his talent, or worry more about his rap tapes?

Joelson Fernandes & Inacio from Sporting.

All players who could have breakout seasons in terms of notoriety and quality compared to the last one.

NewLaw83 and The Special One repped this.
  3. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005

I’m so dark on JJ & LFV I can’t even talk about the talents at benfica. It makes me so mad.

just saw former sporting junior Guilherme Ramos has made the jump from 2div Farense to the bundesliga Armenia Belfield. Seems like a massive jump in quality but I really hope he does well.

Dario Essugo 16 is another one with such enormous potential. He’s William Carvalho with pace & agility.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  4. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    My first post here. A broken portuguese heart who is depressed with the prospect of having Santos as a coach in Qatar. So this one is about emerging players for the future right? By emerging players I will mention even those who already have been called to the main squad.

First: Gonçalo Inácio. ​

As a Sporting fan I have the curiosity to see if this season he will be able to confirm the good signs of last season. With Champions League Football it will be a real test for him and the other players.

I have no doubt only Ruben Amorim in Portugal has the balls to play this type of players on the first 11. With JJ or Conceição they will die on the bench.

The plus side regarding Gonçalo is that if we didn't had that spineless coward on the NT we could use a progressive 3/5/2 system on the National team, where we could have a emerging talent (Inacio), a consolidated player (Dias), and a veteran (Pepe), and he has a good skill of making long passes, but with Santos he would only be allowed to make 1000 crosses to a isolated Ronaldo.

And with the 3/5/2 we would solve the Ronaldo tatical problem playing him alongside Andre Silva,a real striker. After this Euros Jota only coming from the bench. Oh, and we would kill the problem of our fullbacks being much better attacking than defending, can only imagine this system with Guerreiro and Cancelo as the wide players.

Then the midfield would depend on the moment of form of certain players, it was terrible the Euros done by Fernandes, Bernardo and Jota, but I still blame Santos tatics, problem is the players never say nothing in public regarding his tatical choices, then don't complain if everyone thinks you are garbage.

Second: Nuno Mendes​
    Hope he stays 1 more season in Portugal. If he stays under Amorim, I repeat what I said about Gonçalo, Champions League Football is another level of development.

Third: Fabio Silva​
    Think Lage will be better for his development personally, Nuno was very defensive, terrible to be a striker playing that type of football. Big hope he cab be the natural sucessor of Andre Silva, who will suceed Ronaldo after his retirement on Qatar (it has to be, and one day we will speak regarding Ronaldo, Pepe, Moutinho, etc).

Fourth: Joelson Fernandes​
    Big curiosity to see what are Amorim plans for him. Can he make a few games for the first team this season? He probably will play more for the B team on Liga 3, and his family or agents are always blackmailing regarding the issues of renewing his contract. Problem with the hype of youth players on Sporting Academy is that they think they are the next Ronaldo when they aren't even 10% of Nani level.

Fifth: Rodrigo Gomes​
    I have heard very good things from him. Plays for Braga, is a winger, but as we know Braga never plays very young players, or Mendes sells them to another club of his circuit, or they will have to wait a long time for the first team. Carvalhal is another portuguese coach fraud regarding balls to play youth players. But one to pay attention.

Sixth: Ronaldo Camará​
    Another one who while that big mouth trash talker JJ remains at Benfica or any club will have to be born 100 times to play on the place of some South American he watched during the night. Benfica fans know better than me his potential, but any of this players, born in 2003 (Joelson, Rodrigo, Camará), if they were in France or the Netherlands they would be already training and competing on the first team. No doubt about that.

Sorry for the long post, but I lost myself because I am really upset for what Santos did with this group of players in 2021, I am not one of those who demands victories in every tournament, because it's really hard to win things at this level against big nations, but he didn't adapted to the new wave of players since 2016, and thought that formula of 2016 was the way to be sucessful, we all know that the way we won that tournament will never repeat again, and he was tatically lost during the competition, all the cracking signs were there to see, you just need to remember the second half at Serbia, our first game against a team so bad that I only remember we played the match in Italy and won 1:0, where Pedro Neto made 100 crosses to Ronaldo. Pure trash.

It's really sickening to watch the total brainwash his friends on the media are doing to save his ass once again. Saying we better not play well and win that play beautifull and lose. I have something to tell to those clowns, we have been playing shit and we are not winning many matches playing like that. 15 games between Euros and WC and only 3 wins in 90 minutes. Wales, Morocco, Hungary.

Anyone here remembers that Champagne Football vs Morocco, right?

Ok, sorry guys, next time on this thread I will only mention the name of potential talents, it was the way of presenting myself. ;)

The Special One repped this.
  5. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    #5 The Special One, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    P

Thanks for posting, no need to apologise. This forum was once a thriving conversation with many people contributing with great knowledge of the Portuguese game. Hopefully it can get back to at some point.

There large amount of talent Porugal have coming through means that’s they’ll be competing at the highest level for the forseable future. I like all the players you’ve quoted I think that Inacio is a good chance of making the squad in Qatar if he continues to play. I personally think he & Tiago Djalo are the most likely to have a good season. Hopefully David Carmo can recover his level prior to his injury, having left footed centre backs really balances the team.

Anti Santos repped this.
  6. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Embalo is a lost cause probaly
    Onto Hugo Felix

7. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    he’s had a terrible run on soft tissue injuries unfortunately.

8. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Portugal needs a youth movement at this point so if you bring in any of these players into the team by the time Qatar rolls around, Portugal would look even more dangerous depth wise

9. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I’m out of touch with the Portuguese league been 2 or so years now I have stopped watching only tune in when Maritimo is on.
    But just had to post this here 30 years since we last won our 2nd u20 World Cup with over 130 thousand in the luz
    1410249730232311809 is not a valid tweet id

JoseEmidio and Anti Santos repped this.
  10. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Now I watched our u21s and the one player that really stood out for me was Fábio Vieira. I think he even got player of the tournament. just wish we had that crop of player in the video coming through again but again they never won anything with the main team

11. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Really hoping some of our central defenders start coming through that they get a chance in the main club team and even a chance along side Dias in couple of friendly games

12. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    We need to start using a different tatical system who suits the players we have. This 4/3/3 was all over the place and a lot of players weren’t playing on the positions where they play on their respective clubs. You cannot put Fernandes playing almost as a second striker against Hungary, or Bernardo as a classical winger making crosses to the area, where his role is to cover the opponent’s fullbacks. Santos is an outdated coach.

He was able to lose a league with Deco/Capucho/Drulovic/Jardel. And we all know on that era who the refs protected in the League. If he remains for Qatar we better not fool ourselves, things will not improve and he will not start games instructing the players to press the opponents on their defensive line. Only yada yada counter attack and expecting individual players to solve his tatical ineptitude.

But regarding emerging players it’s a pitty only Amorim has the balls to give young players a chance on the Domestic League. The rest belong to the Mendes carrousel who will finish on a Wolverhampton instead playing for Porto or Benfica first 11.

13. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    Does anyone knows if Vitinha stays at Porto? Don't imagine Conceição playing him that much. He is just a younger version of JJ.

14. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    Completely undeserved award. For me with that performance on the semifinals and in the final none of our players deserved that award, even less Fabio Vieira, if anyone deserved that from Portugal was Vitinha. He will not play much under Conceição.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Not sure if he's emerging still but Trincao on loan to Wolves with option to buy. Hopefully he gets tons of playing time.

Anti Santos repped this.
  16. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    17 year old RB Goncalo Esteves has quit Porto in unexpected news. Highly touted by everyone, seen as a far superior player to his elder brother. Interested to see where he goes

17. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    looks like he may be going to Sporting.

Anti Santos repped this.
  18. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    Yes, and the informations I have is that he really is talented.

19. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He will, for sure. Definitely got loads of talent. He's in my top five prospect pool. Elite? We'll see.

20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Portugal have a next Golden generation of players already set up or it is coming and honestly I can't wait. I would have thought that after CR7 retired from the national team, that Portugal would just look ordinary but they are anything but. Especially with the whole influx of talent either coming in or are already there, Portugal will be more than fine come Qatar.

21. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    With Santos coaching the team that doesn't matter.

Ofori repped this.
  22. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Unless Portugal decide to get rid of Santos

palynka and Anti Santos repped this.
  23. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's not happening. I guess that everyone (including me) is frustrated with Santos in the last 2 tournaments, but Qatar is around the corner and there's really no time for a new coach to come in and get the team playing his way before next summer. So it will be another, pick XI and go do your best, which also never works. It will be Santos.

So if Santos doesn't wake up, it's over.

Anti Santos, The Special One and Ofori repped this.
  24. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah but I definitely see Trincao in the side for 2022

25. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Logic is with you, but we need the Virgin Mary to have a word with Santos too. :D