EM2008 Qualifiers and injuries...

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by nekkibasara, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A crisis is brewing in the National team. Frings has suffered a serious knee injury in a friendly this week. He is going to be out for several months.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=478613&CPID=22&clid=171&lid=9&title=Frings+blow+for+Germany

I am becoming increasingly worried about the near term future of the national team. Ballack, Frings, and Podolski will all miss the next qualifiers as well as the friendly against England.

Do you think Frings will bounce back from an injury like that and recapture his form? Personnally I'm not very optimistic. It is very difficult for a 30 year old player to recover from a knee injury. Just look what happened to Novotny after the same type of injury hapened to him prior to WM2002.

Given these injuries who do you think will be the starting midfield for Germany in its up-comming matches?

Here is my guess.

-----------------Lehman----------
    Lahm---Mertesacker---Metzelder---Jansen
    Schneider--Borowski--Hitzlesperger--Schweini
    ------------Kuranyi---Klose--------

2. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    crisis? are you kidding me?

I'm actually happy he is out because it gives him a chance to rest and play the 2nd half of the season and be fresh for the euros.

he'll have absolutely no problems recovering his form as the only reason he still plays for the NT is to win this and maybe the world cup.

It also allows borowski a lot of playing time as a starter, and a more influential role in bremen's midfield too, which is great for the NT again.

And who said ballack will be out of the england game? He will definitely be there for the qualifiers.

Podolski should be there for england as well right?

3. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Podolski isn't expected to start training until late august, and Ballack is not expected to be fit when the Premiership restarts either. I highly doubt that either one of these players will be ready to play in the match against England.

4. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ok then podolski won't be fit, but ballack should be. he had hte operation done in may! the EPL starts in early august and the game is on the 22nd so he should be fit. Anyway i reckon he will break down the door if they don't let him play in london against england, with a chance to show up lampard, in front of the press and portion of the chelsea fans who've criticised him

5. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Germany
    Honestly im not worried about ballack cause borowski can repölace him pretty well hge is a very good player and can play in any position of the midfield that means that even Schneider can take ballacks position.

What worries me is Frings, we currently have no player that has his characteristics. Trochowski is too offensive and Kehl looks like every time he gets the ball he is gonna fall. I dont really care about the england game it the Euro qualifiers that worry me, especially against Wales that is such a compact team in defence.

6. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    frings, ballack and borowski are all similar players actually. Borowski can fill in for frings too as he and ballack in the midfield pretty much share the same role.

anyway, frings is out only for 7 weeks now, so he will be there for the qualifiers

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Borrowski deserves some playing time so its like a blessing in disguise in a sense and I have full confidence in Kehl if he were to be slotted in the DM position.

8. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think that Borowski can excell in the center against the so called minnows, but against sides like England and Wales we will miss Frings badly.

Germany has the best starting CM duo in world soccer IMHO, but they do lack some of the depth that other squads have.

9. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the England game really isn't important at all apart from that little traditional rivalry we're supposed to have with them.

And Wales isn't exactly a powerhouse. They've been struggling and I don't see why we can't beat them with this team. Besides, we've got a nice points advantage on top anyways.

I'm not bothered to be honest.

10. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Germany
    I would rather disagree. They actually have a lot of depth when he have our best players in the midfield just like against the game vs Slovakia(4-1) and against the Czechs. What Germany really needs to work out is defence. We really have trouble keeping a clean sheet in the last games.

11. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think there's enough depth in midfield as the players are versatile, and borowski can take on any team, I'm confident.

The defence seems to be bored frankly and they concede silly goals.

12. Popcorn

Popcorn New Member

May 27, 2007
    Spokane, USA
    I know we have more important things to worry about, like who we're gonna use against England, but I have a way off topic question that I wouldn't interrupt you with except I am SOO desperate (sorry!). Okay, does ANYBODY know where I can find a downloadable version of "Deutschland: Ein Sommermarchen"? I don't speak German, but I know someone who's gonna subtitle it on youtube for me if I can find it! Any suggestions?

13. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    popcorn, please don't post this question in every thread...the answer was given in the last one.