Elon Musk needs his own thread because he's in every damn thing

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Feb 10, 2023.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Tech media like The Verge have now covered Elrond Musks recent insanity. Main takes

1. This is mostly about the downside brand risks - it's just easier not to spend money with twitter right now because of Musk's personal behaviour. The media matters nazi thing is not so important

2. Musk's main problem is unlike SpaceX he doesn't have the market position to do this. Zuck could have entire nazi groups and everyone still advertised on facebook. Twitter has shit adtech and questionable ROI so easy to walk away.

They also covered how damaging this is to the Tesla brand compared to how the brand was perceived a couple of years back - but Tesla still has a strong performing product - unlike twitter

soccernutter, superdave and song219 repped this.
  2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Do you appreciate automobile design as a rule? I ask because this part of your post sounds like a Bad Wife. Is it your position that the design is ugly and therefore suitable for incels (fine), or do you have an issue with aesthetic design that stems from competition/aerodynamics (Bad Wife Thing)?

IMO, the Cybertruck reminds me of what John DeLorean might have done. Passenger sports cars have a long and beautiful history of borrowing design from competition cars. Why not trucks?

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Because the only competition trucks only came about because people enamored with racing cars decided to try racing something else. Trucks wouldn't be copying other trucks that competed, only cars. Racing is no more a part of the function or history of trucks than it is of lawn tractors.
    Yes, they do race lawn tractors.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    People only watch that for the crashes.

5. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I don’t think Delorean would have designed something like that. He was into long-lasting and practical beyond just being showy.

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. When DeLorean went under, they were well into designing their next models and while there was a distinctive design to them, they were also more traditional than the DeLorean.

[​IMG]

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's a natural progression, IMO. I mean, to trucks, not to lawn tractors, but it did happen.
    I think trucks are best left to race on courses not passable for cars. Like you wouldn't do BMX on an Electro-Glide or a Ninja.

Between the color and the angles, his first car came to mind fairly quickly. Maybe it's just me.

@Smurfquake my post was poorly worded and I apologize. What I mean is that sometimes we don't allow ourselves expression without shame, and we deride it as being childish, or worse, toxic. It's okay for the automobiles we drive to work to reflect some competitive or militaristic design language. I see tricked out (by this I mean "Has aftermarket shit on it that will allow it to climb a wall", not "shiny rims candy paint") camo'd Jeeps every day, and I wish more people like me were behind the wheel, so that the effort it took to create them didn't get such a bad name.

8. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Wouldn't that increase my chances of being pulled over? :whistling:

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    LMAO! This was over my limit of humor for the day... I'll frown more tomorrow to make up for it

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's the problem with it - it's like some loser who watched Logan's run decided this is what the future looks like instead of any creativity. Plus from a design perspective it is functional trash.

It's obviously garbage as an actual truck, and as a street car it's laughable IMO

roadkit repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  12. cliche_guevara

cliche_guevara Member+

Jun 1, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Who is David Hargreaves?

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This truck is as fast as a sports car.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not talking about speed, talking about steering and road feel.

15. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    The problem with that is the truck is way to rigid. It barely crumples at all.

European luxury brand cars used to be built like that. It's good for your own passangers but everything you hit gets turned to mush.
    That's why building cars like that got outlawed.
    I highly doubt this will be street legal in this form in the EU.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Good luck getting it repaired

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    For those following along at home, industry commentators like Ed Zitron, Verge etc etc have all noted that Musk has basically lost the advertiser struggle and Yacc, instead of quitting, decided to go full Muskboi with her internal memo. She will now try to scrape together revenue from small advertisers and other pathetic bottom feeders and crypto scammers, but that story is written. The plan is now apparently Grok AI lol - but that creates cost control problems as AI is really expensive per query.

https://wheresyoured.at/p/elons-gordian-knot

As I’ve said before, Musk’s “sell the sizzle” strategy is antithetical to Twitter’s future, because Twitter’s real value isn’t in its product but in hosting a real-time feed of the world’s thoughts. Grok is financial cancer for an already-dying company, and may precipitate the actual death of Twitter — or, as Musk has threatened in the past, its bankruptcy.

Twitter as a business and as a website is unique, in that it deeply punishes this kind of attitude. One can improve Tesla’s health by selling more vehicles, or SpaceX’s by raking in government subsidies, but there is no real product for Twitter to sell other than premium versions of a thing that people are used to getting for free. Musk was half right that Twitter’s value lay in its data, but misunderstood that every effort to monetize that data — by selling people the right to prioritize their posts, for example — destroys the egalitarian value of a free-for-all firehose of the world’s thoughts. The only other valuable part was in its advertisers and the reliability of said data, and both have been so thoroughly damaged it’s impossible that Musk can fix it without stepping away from the site for good.​

soccernutter, superdave and Mike03 repped this.
  18. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Their LLM is going to be toxic AF.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I always assumed it was the smell of the newly-cut lawns.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Yeah....

upload_2023-12-6_17-48-14.gif

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ryan Broderick who writes the fantastic Garbage Day tech newsletter had some fascinating comments about twitter and the impact of journalism.

One powerful comment is that journalists have unfortunately lost a critical source of truth. Many of us have experienced that with breaking news over the years. You could jump on and get a valuable mix of citizen video, commentary, analysis etc etc in real time.

That's gone now. The feed is at least 50% disinfo, with no way to tell what is real because we no longer have bluechecks we can somewhat trust.

That thing is probably not going to exist again, because Elmo broke it. Which is odd, because when he bought the company, he himself recognised that it was the main value twitter had.

soccernutter repped this.
  22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While that is true, Musk prioritized the moderation over the "quality" of the content and failed to realize how important the moderation was to the content quality...

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  24. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s “major defense contractor Elon Musk.”

In all seriousness, Democrats need to find a way to make this a relevant campaign issue, and deliver a law. Relying on Musk is arguably riskier than relying on, say, the Chinese. Because we know the Chinese love money, like most people. Their leadership is rational. Musk is a drug addled lunatic.

I don’t know HOW to frame it, but it’s a definite problem.

bigredfutbol and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kaivanshroff
    3h

Remember that time mainstream media spent a year calling Elon Musk a “centrist” despite all evidence pointing to him being an unhinged right-winger? Yikes.