EliteXC: Heat : Sunrise, Florida : 10/4

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Robdog, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Main Card

*Heavyweight Bout: Kimbo Slice vs.Ken Shamrock
    *Welterweight Title: Jake Shields vs. Paul Daley
    *Heavyweight Bout: Andrei Arlovski vs. Roy Nelson
    * Women's Bout: Gina Carano vs. Kelly Kobald
    * Middleweight Bout: Benji Radach vs. Murilo Rua

Preliminary Card

* Women's Bout: Cristiane Santos vs. Yoko Takahashi
    * Lightweight Bout: James Edson Berto vs. Conor Heun
    * Light Heavyweight Bout: Seth Petruzelli vs. Aaron Rosa
    * Welterweight Bout: Lorenzo Borgomeo vs. Mickey Gomez
    * Bantamweight Bout: David Gomez vs. Brett Jackowski
    * Lightweight Bout: Jorge Bouchat vs. Nicolae Cury

Let's Discuss!!!

2. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    With a card that looks like it could be really good it is a shame that an internet star and a washed up blowhard are the headlining fight! :(

Ninja/radach and Shields/Daley both look to be interesting fights. So does Nelson Arlovski.

4. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -- Shamrock really shouldn't be fighting at this level anymore. For that matter, he probably shouldn't be fighting. I've never been the biggest fan of his, and he's noticeably declined since his days as the King Of Pancrase.

-- I maintain that Slice would get taken apart by a decent UFC Heavyweight, though.

-- Carano made weight yesterday, but apparently had to strip and get on the scale behind a large towel to do so. Anything for publicity, I guess.

-- As was posted, this show really needs to do a good number to give the company any chance. I'll be watching, but I'm an MMA fan.

5. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    That is why I like you :D

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How about this:

Shamrock got a cut from a headbutt in a work out earlier today and the commish won't let him fight.

Kimbo now has to fight former UFC fighter Seth Petruzelli.

7. BrightEyesLA

BrightEyesLA New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I don't recall ever watching Seth Petruzelli fight, is he any good? Im hoping Kimbo gets KTFO.

8. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Even better than you could have expected!!!

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maaaaaan, somebody made some money tonight! They talked about this loss being key to the survival of EliteXc, but the unifying with Affliction, plus has beens from UFC coming over might save them. I can see this federation being like MLS was in the beginning, a haven for UFC/Dream rejects.

10. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali

Seth 'The Silverback' Petruzelli has some game. Not an easy draw for Kimbo. He has to perform against someone that can move & slam him .

11. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BrightEyesLA

BrightEyesLA New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    WOW. That was awesome. Where do they get these douchebag commentators. "BIggest upset in MMA history" :rolleyes:

Elite XC isnt done Milking kimbo just yet.

13. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I thought it was premature stoppage. I didn't see Kimbo stop moving & wasn't completely out. I am not a Kimbo nut-hugger, but that was very questionable.

14. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    Thank god Kimbo lost to that can. A guy who is a 205er as well. Maybe now some of the air can be let out of that bubble. A f*ck it that bubble just burst!

15. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But did you see his left eye afterwards? That looked like internal bleeding too.
    Now if you think it was stopped too early, maybe this will squash that:
    [​IMG]

You get clocked, you lost, you lose your mentals, you better hug him for stopping it, or else.......

16. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    He thought it was Silverback. Hey if you ever been in a fight, sometimes you can't see straight. The point I was making was he wasn't knocked out. A premature stoppage. The ref stepped in between the fighters. Kimbo grabbed who he thought was Silverback. Look I am only saying stops like that don't happen in other organizations like DREAM or the UFC.

17. BrightEyesLA

BrightEyesLA New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Kimbo was out. After the fight while seth was running around the cage like a mad man, kimbo mouths off to the ref, "Did i get hit?" He had no idea where he was.

18. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herb Dean has had a few matches where I'm befuddled as to why he stopped it early. It's like our refs in soccer making clear (sometimes game changing) calls that were erroneous. It happens.

19. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    True, true. I guess the same could be said about the last Kimbo Slice match vs. James Thompson. I felt that was a premature stoppage as well. The refs in the Elite XC are weak sauce in my book:rolleyes:

20. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It was an entertaining show. I always enjoy seeing Arlovski and Gina fight, and the Kimbo thing was gonna be great either way. Gina vs Cyborg should be pretty good.

21. Leon_St_Spurs

Leon_St_Spurs New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Phila
    The fight that I did see I found to be entertaining, although I was a little disappointed by Paul Daley's weakness on the ground, credit to Jake Shields for actually following his gameplan.

The refs were pretty weak. I felt that the heavyweight fight was stopped pretty prematurely, but the Kimbo fight def. wasnt. Kimbo made no attempts to defend himself, none what so ever.

The best news of the night came when they officially announced that Eddie Alvarez will be fighting Nick Diaz next month on Showtime. Huge Eddie Alvarez fan here (went to HS with him, cool ass dude). Check out these videos (specifically the Hansen and Kawajari fights):

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=eddie+alvarez.

22. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rejects????

Lets see, if EliteXC finally decides they have the balls to go into business with Affliction they instantly have the best Heavyweight Division crop in MMA. The problem is they need someone to promote and that guy was Kimbo. That is the sad state of MMA right now, its a promotion game. Im pretty sure ELiteXC would of rather taken Fedor in and hyped him to eternity. Problem is its been tried and has had little success (BoDog). They put themselves in a corner and put all their chips in the internet sensation called Kimbo and it was bound to fail.

I personally think elitexc has the potential to compete with the UFC but they are gonna need CBS to carry them and a PPV in the future. They got solid fighters like Shields and Robbie but they are gonna need a face to promote very soon. Affliction for them can be a great move since their HW card got about 100,000 PVP buys back in July with very little promotion.

As a MMA fan I think we can all agree RIP Kimbo