Elite Euro clubs to form new body

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by La China Poblana, Nov 3, 2004.

1. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    The European leagues are to set up a new body in Brussels next month with the intention of exerting more influence on UEFA and FIFA.

After growing increasingly unhappy at the failure of the main governing bodies to negotiate and liaise with them individually over major issues, it has been agreed to construct a formal constitution for the European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL), which has been in existence since 1998.

While UEFA and FIFA are likely to receive assurances that the new body will not attempt to strip them of their powers, there is no doubt the organisation will be looking for increased input into the running of the game.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=315247&cc=5901

2. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hopefully they don't get *too* much influence, or else they could let big bank accounts blind them from what is good for the sport, Real Madrid included. UEFA removing the 2nd group phase in the CL, might not be good for the bank account, but definitely good for the sport in my opinion. Even though the big clubs didn't like it.

The clubs getting money from the national teams: I can see their point of view, but I can also see that it would be difficult for some federations to pay these 'loaning' prices.