Eliminatorias al Mundial de Catar 2022

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by chaski, Sep 24, 2020.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Have what game ? :ROFLMAO:

2. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    He shouldn't be in at all, I wrote in earlier posts about him, bad coach.
    He caught some assisting positions in bigger clubs, but that is all.

3. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    They didn't seemed so bad. At least initiative.:D Corner now...:rolleyes:

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pretty well contested game. Uruguay with a bit of an edge but after 1st half weren't really creating any chances before the red card.

5. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Brazil is very fast to watch. One touch, the ball just slides.:eek:
    It's over now after the red card...

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Scoring the 1st goal definitely made things easier for us. That's how it goes sometimes.

The red card helps Argentina more than Brazil to be honest.

7. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    In days like this I miss Arévalo Rios, Ruso Perez and a coach like JR Carrasco.

8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Who's going to win the 2024 U.S. presidential election?

9. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Looks like we're back to our reality.

Peru haven't been awful here, but this is the best I've seen Argentina play in Lima in recent times.

Loco repped this.
  10. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I'm surprised by that result. but I figured Suarez would be playing. It changes things when he is not on the pitch... having said that, Uruguay should have performed better just the same. Credit to Brazil though.

11. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Ok I'm bored and have time to kill...

Having watched the first round of matches I feel pretty confident in giving Brazil, Argentina and Ecuador the first 3 spots, in that order as well. I know I said the same thing last time about Ecuador, but I feel there's no way Ecuador are gonna drop the ball twice in a row. They know what they are playing at, and they do it well. Nothing fancy. Even if they underperform away from home, Quito is their castle and they can abuse anyone up there.

I think Uruguay is also gonna make it eventually when they get their whole gang back together, maybe even in 5th.

Then there's a big drop in quality IMO.

Paraguay, Chile, Peru and Colombia will be fighting as to who is LESS shit.

At the start of the qualifiers I figured Colombia had an edge in terms of pure numbers of Colombians playing abroad and I had them as favourites to get that 5th spot. But I guess numbers don't matter as much if all the players are equally mediocre.

Paraguay puts their money on defence and grinding results, which results in a lot of draws, unfortunately for them it is preferable to lose and win, rather than draw twice in a row. In league format, winning is rewarded considerably more than not losing. In a cup you can (and Paraguay have) gone all the way to the final without winning a single match in regular time. Draws at home against Peru and Bolivia are painful and will cost them dearly, they will also not be the last. The fact that they are better than their rivals at getting draws away from home is not gonna help them if they can't get all 3 in Asuncion.

I know Chile will not finish these qualifiers with Rueda in charge. Chile plays with the energy of a team that is already qualified, apart from the usual veterans, there is no fire in them. You could excuse it in older players, but what about the younger ones? They need an energetic coach, someone that can kick them into action. Rueda is not the man for this, in fact he is the opposite, he even looks like a vampire. The only reason we are still in this, is because of some key veterans (Vidal in particular) dragging the rest. But I see no solid overlying tactical structure. Time is up. We play Paraguay in Santiago who could easily beat us or get a draw and then away at Quito where we'll get the same treatment Uruguay and Colombia received. A 4-0 defeat is not out of the question and we could finish with 0 points that round, enough to finally kick Rueda and get someone competent. It's not too late to get a new manager and give these qualifiers a real go. I think the worse thing for us would be to squeeze out two draws keep Rueda. Personally, I don't think Rueda will survive post-Quito match.

Peru is similar to Chile. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. You never know which Peru you are going to get. They don't have a Vidal to get them out of trouble in a shitty match so it's even more important for them to play like every match is their last.

All in all, these 4 teams blow hot and cold. And if any of them think they have a chance of qualifying, it is precisely because the other 4 are also shit.

I don't think Venezuela and Bolivia have a chance. Yes, I am aware Peru are lower than Venezuela but I actually rate Peru's players higher. We will find out soon enough when they meet each other.

manu chao repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    There's a logical problem with that post: if you see a big drop after the top four (Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Uruguay), then it makes no sense that you see Uruguay ending 5th.

The way I see it, Brazil and Argentina are looking the class in the region, what those outside South America expect (but is not always the case).

Colombia can recover with a good manager.

Paraguay and Bolivia don't have much.

Venezuela is severely underrated.

Peru and Chile are about even, but weaker than before.

So my prediction is:

Brazil
    Argentina
    ------------drop
    Colombia
    Ecuador
    Uruguay
    Venezuela
    ------------drop
    Peru
    Chile
    Paraguay
    Bolivia

13. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Some brilliant quotes from my preview post:

URUvBRA: "without Neymar and Casemiro this is a big chance for Uruguay to snatch a win from the brazucas after a long time."

ECUvCOL: "Colombia is a good altitude visitor"

PARvBOL: "It's a training session for Paraguay"

PERvARG: "Our defense will be tested" "will be a high scoring game"

:ROFLMAO: I better don't comment here anymore :ROFLMAO:

cabezamagica repped this.
  14. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    :)

15. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Historically they get it together towards the end, and I don't base it on history alone but the players at their disposal, the teams they play for and the minutes they get. But they also drag their feet to get there and drop more points than they should. That's why I think one of the shittier teams could overtake them.

But on a knock-out match, life or death type of situation, I'd take Uruguay over any of the other four right now.

Of course most of those teams could all hypothetically improve with a new manager. But I can only comment on what I see in front of me, and I see a big gap. Maybe the next managers will be worse. There is already talk that Rueda will be out the door after the results next round against Paraguay and Ecuador. He could easily get 0 points from that.

I think Venezuela played their absolute best and got their very first 3 points against a Chile that by your own admission is only better than Bolivia and Paraguay (who beat Venezuela in their own stadium). I don't think they have chance no matter who they get as a manager. I fear everyone else except Bolivia and maybe Peru will play better than us and get some points from Venezuela.

Paraguay will always be Paraguay and they will play the same no matter who is the manager. They will get away draws and victories where their direct rivals will fail to do so, but they will also draw at home to the likes of Peru and Bolivia negating all the good work they do away from home.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Regardless of Colombia's form, Ecuador's goals were very nice.

17. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    VAR or no VAR, South American refereeing is garbage.

And yes we played poorly.

18. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    With the addition today of Brian Rodriguez and Gabriel Neves the COVID-19 positive test list in Uruguay’s delegation is up to 15.

19. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    make it 16... Godin
    stay tuned

20. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    On the plus side Uruguay is getting all their infections out early. I know there's no guarantee you can't get covid-19 again, but it definitely makes it harder.

21. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ecuador’s list is up to 9,with Gonzalo Plata and Dominguez being the latest victims.:(Coincidence??

22. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, Queiroz is history.

Every Four Years repped this.
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    World Soccer Talk
    @worldsoccertalk
    30m
    BREAKING: fuboTV has acquired the English and Spanish-language streaming rights to the CONMEBOL World Cup qualifiers

LouisZ repped this.
  24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Peru pulling an upset over Ecuador. Bad round for Ecuador.

25. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I'm done trying to predict Ecuador. They looked unbeatable up in Quito... they played Peru who was dead last and playing poorly... somehow manage to be losing 1-2 as I type this...