Eliminatorias a RUSIA 2018

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by Gerlestat, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes, I was wrong about his death.

He is very sick though (a liver disease), which has had him very close to death, and still lives in Brazil.

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Actually no. He provides incredible detail in the history of a legendary national team which reached 2 straight World Cup finals and which unfortunately did not win at least once.

Before I put up that URL, I looked for a Spanish-language blog, also from the early 2000s, which provided similar views of the 1978 World Cup as lived by an Argentine of that time. Photographs of newspaper and magazine cutouts, etc. Sure, he was biased in favor of his team, but we all have our biases. Unfortunately, that blog used to be hosted on one of those Yahoo or what not servers from the Internet's younger days, and try as I did, it's gone.

I'm sure you would've liked that blog more, but both together would've presented different perspectives.

Everyone's recollection will be biased. Yours included. I had already written he is openly pro-Netherlands, but he still mentioned both West Germany and Argentina were serious opponents. If you think his analyses is absurd, you could surely provide refutations of those "absurd" points he makes.

His opinion, bro.

Oh sure.... and if some of them were alive then, living there, perhaps they might know about a thing or two besides funeral arrangements... then again anything which contradicts certain people's views is "absurd......."

Don't need to like it or to agree with it, bro, but he put in a lot of heart and soul into that blog and it provides tons of soccer history. You can acknowledge that much rather than making silly comments about caskets.

3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Maybe was common in Argentina, but in other countries, most of the times it was the home team whom took the pitch first, or at most with a few seconds after (never more than a minute after).

That day it took Argentina a little bit more than 5 minutes to come out, (with the whole world watching and impatient due to it), and once in the pitch and about to start the match, the worst of it all came when they started the other "show" with the bandage of an opponent, whom at that time had played almost all of his previous matches in the WC with it, which delayed the start of the match, for another 15 minutes or so (I don't know how common it is in Argentina to delay the start of matches for meaningless reasons, but in the rest of the world, it hardly ever happens).

And you may be right, that this whole chapter, wasn't the only reason that took FIFA make "adjustments" so it doesn't happen again. But without doubt, it weighed a lot in them taking that call, as it was not only embarrasing to everyone watching, but it also increases a lot the worldwide broadcasting transmission costs.

4. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who knows the match Kempes would've had if we hadn't delayed the game or thrown so many papers to the field...

And if only the dutch had their magic bandages on then maybe they would've been able to stop him! :ROFLMAO:

BlueDamian and Pipiolo repped this.
  5. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Actually, the player who had the bandage on, still played the whole match with it, on.

Given the fact the dutch team were absolutely decided to quit without playing the match, the referee took the call on applying a thicker layer of bandage to the player, starting the match inmediately after, not giving the argentine team any more time, to mount more protests over it.

6. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    no no no, don't laugh or century's best will bring an article from a zimbabwean newspaper from 1979 about how the illuminati arranged every argentine NT victory in history. And then rickdog will come and remind us that Maradona used to wear his captain armband upside down at the 1986 WC and how that played a key part in distracting the english defenders in his second goal and tell us also that such a thing would never happen in serious countries like Chile.

7. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's amazing, regarding the final, how we managed to make such a story about absolutely nothing (a freaking bandage) an how that delay would've been a disadvantage to poor Holland...

It's like an episode of Seinfeld.

BlueDamian and pepinointer repped this.
  8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Were you able to at least approach that Englishman's blog rationally, you would see that whatever your disagreements, it is an impressive work by a fellow soccer fan. Oh well.

But I do wonder.

First that woman who married an Argentine and then disappeared after Chile won the 2015 Copa America and now you. What is it with some of you Colombians?

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It's like an episode of the twilight zone, no doubts about it.....
    :rolleyes:

Would've been lots more reasonable to have the argentinian team protest for being the only team in that WC, that never had antidoping tests taken after any of their matches (another strange issue, never confirmed nor denied, of that WC) :sneaky:

10. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There's gotta be a limit to the number of not confirmed nor denied "facts" that you can use! :D

locoxriver repped this.
  11. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    About his armband, i don't really know anything.

But against England, in 1986, he did score a goal with one of his hands. A cheat with which he got away with it.

12. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The draw is in two days and you are still talking about 1978 world cup

locoxriver and Sandinista repped this.
  13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Unfortunately, when refered to the 1978 WC, as each year goes by, new findings appear.

One thing no one denies, is that those military governments most southamerican nations suffered during those years, with them, created lots of uncertainty involving lots of diferent areas, where not even football was free of them.

Unfortunately for Argentina, that WC happened during one of the worst periods after the military coup in their country. And many things will never really get to be known due to it.

14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No, I am not Argentinian and was not talking about these delays occurring in Argentina. It was very common everywhere in South America, and also, if the Dutch could not cope with their nerves for 15 more minutes it just shows that they were not meant to be World champions.

The northern Europeans, along with the English, are the biggest sore losers in the world. They will bring up anything, including a bandage, to justify being bettered by Argentina, a NT they look at with jealousy.

16. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I'm chilean and also have been southamerican, since I was born. And no, it wasn't a common thing around here to go out to the pitch, before the home team did. As a matter of fact, usually the visiting teams, before sending their players to the pitch, they used to send some auxiliary guy from the staff first, to see if the home team had gone out, and only once they knew that happened (could've been by call of that auxiliary guy, or by the roar of the crowds), the team went out. As I remember my younger years around here, that's how it almost always was. Got to be honest here, on some few very rare times, home teams sent only the substitute players out, in order to get the visiting team's players out, first. But here in South America, everyone knew that as well, so hardly ever, they fell for that one, and also sent their substitute players first and depending on the behaviour of crowds or the actual presence of the starting home players in the pitch, they sent their main players out, next.

And on regards to the dutch team's atitude, I don't think the WC championship is meant for the team that cheats the most its way through, but on whom plays better than their opponents. Sports have always been about a sense of integrity and basic morals, where you expect all participating sides to respect.
    Unfortunately, not everyone thinks about it the same. I can give it to you, that here in South America, almost everyone sometimes uses "out of the book tactics", but not because we do them, means it is right to do so, as most people in the world consider those tactics as being cheats. In that 1978 final, only 1 of both finalist teams respected those basic rules, and it wasn't the team that finally won (undoubtly, the champions played better once the match started)

Nope, not really.

Europeans, most of the times they use bandages, is because they really need them (it's not in their nature, to try to gain a dishonest advantage with them). Usually, when they want to do something not so honest (....oh yes, not saying they are saints, because they aren't), they simply go out and do them, despite knowing that they will probably get sanctioned after.

(got to have a great sense of self criticism here)
    South Americans in general (not only argentines) though, are the inventors of the use of theatrics, cheats and other not so honest "tactics", in football, where we can even cellebrate them after (unless they are used against our teams). Nowdays though, almost everyone round the world, also uses them, including some europeans.
    Now, that they might sometimes be sore losers, sometimes they are. But not much diferent than how almost everyone is.
    As someone more wiser than me once said : "let him who is without sin among you, be whom throws the first stone ......"

17. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's not what I posted. It was common for the home team to be late to the field if they needed more time, the visitors almost never had this benefit.

Complaining that a player was unsettled due to his bandages is a sign of both pettiness and being a sore loser. And if the Dutch were indeed rattled by Passarella's talk with the referee, they did not have it in them to be World Cup champions.

Also, complaining about an opponent's bandages, even if misguided, is not "cheating".

The Latin European teams are every bit as theatrical as the South American sides. In fact, I would say Italy tops everyone else for theatrics and diving.

I have to disagree, the northern Europeans think it is their right to win at everything. Which makes it all the more delectable to see all of their NTs, excepting Germany, tumble when placed next to Argentine football. ("You lose, bitch!" :p)

I suggest you follow your own advice at the end of your post. Just Google "Carlos Campos and Pablo Ansaldo" and you will quickly find that dirty tactics in Chile are not just the purview of ElCondor Rojas.

18. Guti™

Guti™ Moderator

Mar 6, 2005
    La Victoria
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Chileans talking about dirty tactics?

I’ll just leave this here... :whistling:

19. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yall are boring af

20. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Im reading that Paolo Guerrero got 1 year and will miss the WC?:eek: Is this true?

21. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yes

22. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That's harsh, poor guy...
    Pero quien lo manda a tomar "tecito" de coca?

Rickdog repped this.
  23. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    he will appeal and get 6 months

24. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    He probably doesn't know how he got it but coca tea is the only thing his defense could come up with.

(He probably couldn't convince his girlfriend to take the fall for him and claim sexual transmission)

didier914 repped this.
  25. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #2200 Rickdog, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    It's not that Coca tea "tastes", "smell" and "looks" the same as normal tea.

With the served cup in front of his eyes, he and anyone would notice right away that the beverage is diferent. Even if you can't notice the diference by simply watching it, after the first sip, there is no possible way to confuse one to the other.