Pre-match: ELIMINATÓRIAS, R6: Paraguai x Brasil, 06/08/2021[R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Brazil is now 5 for 5 in 2022 WCQ, with a 2-0 win over Ecuador in Beira-Rio in Porto Alegre. It bears mentioning that this should be the 8th match, but March's fixtures at Colombia and vs. Argentina were postponed due to the pandemic.

Vs. Ecuador, Brazil started with: Alisson; Danilo, Éder Militão, Marquinhos, Alex Sandro; Casemiro, Fred (Gabriel Jesus), Lucas Paquetá; Richarlison (Fabinho), Neymar, and Gabigol. This was a vastly different starting XI from the team which stepped onto the pitch at Centenário last November 17 - only two of that match's starters started yesterday (Danielo and Richarlison).

Brazil heads into Paraguayan territory, historically a very difficult place for Brazil to win. The last time Brazil won a WCQ match in Assunção was in the faraway year of 1985, when Brazil won 0-2 en route to Mexico 1986. Since then, Paraguay has been unbeatable for Brazil.

2002 WCQ: 2-1, 7/18/2000
    2006 WCQ: 0-0, 3/31/2004
    2010 WCQ: 2-0, 6/15/2008
    2018 WCQ: 2-2, 3/29/2016

Paraguay comes into this match in fourth place and undefeated, with 7 points, 1 win, and 4 draws. Paraguay's best result was probably its 1-1 draw at Argentina, a game it started winning thanks to a PK in the 21st minute. It heads into home ground after a controversial 0-0 draw in Uruguay. The locals scored a goal in the 23rd minute (Jonathan Rodríguez) but VAR review led the referees to invalidate it due to offside - but there was no offside. The Uruguayans may feel a bit of vindication as Nicolás Gallo, VAR referee, and Miguel Roldán, assistant referee, were suspended for "grave and manifest errors," although the 0-0 scoreline stands.

Having shown little offensive creativity and playing for a draw in Uruguay, Paraguay may well adopt a similar posture against a team whose offensive firepower is superior to the Uruguayans'. And given how Brazil struggled against the well-organized and cautious Ecuadorians until well into the second half, Tite may alter his lineup from what we saw yesterday if he decides that an quick and early goal may be the way to go against a team which may play for the draw.

The flip argument is that Paraguay has scored 4 goals at home, and thus will attack Brazil. But should Paraguay do that, it will open itself to attack. Bolivia and Peru both scored 2 goals apiece at Paraguay.

Gabigol had some close calls yesterday; will he score his first international goal since the 2016 Copa América Centenário?

The following were the starting XI deployed by manager Eduardo Berizzo in the 0-0 draw at Uruguay: Anthony Silva; Robert Rojas, Fabian Balbuena, Gustavo Gomez, Omar Alderete; Gaston Giménez, Mathias Villasanti, Angel Lucena; Oscar Romero, Miguel Almiron, Angel Romero.

2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I expect Douglas Luiz will start and that probably means Renan Lodi will too, but we'll see.

I wouldn't mind seeing Alisson dropped and Weverton starting after this Thursday's game.

Other than that I wouldn't expect any starting line-up changes but it does seem like he is more willing to change things up a little.

So maybe we'll see Weverton; Danilo, Militão, Marquinhos, Renan Lodi; Casemiro, Douglas Luiz, Paquetá; Richarlison, Gabigol, Neymar

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Up 1 x 0 with Neymar goal ... set up by the real Gabriel ... :sneaky:

4. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Richarlison goal NOT offside.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ?????

Looked like clear offsides.

6. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Hi, guys. Long time no see. I'm watching the game on Pay-per-view and it's irritating that I'm paying 30 bucks + taxes and technical difficulties are such that I see 30 seconds of game then it freezes for 1 minute, then 30 seconds, then 1 minute frozen... Are you guys experiencing this problem?

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Paraguay not really threatening, but I want a 2nd goal. Don't trust these Paraguay team.

8. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar trying to be cute and missed the through ball to Firmino, played wide to Jesus instead. Low Iq pass...

celito repped this.
  9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agreed.

samuel_clemens repped this.
  10. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Not so clear. The Paraguayan defender on top keeps Richarlison onside.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Diga se de passagem que o "no look pass" é umas da coisas mais bobas no futebol. Ronaldinho nunca deveria ter popularizado essa bobeira.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Jesus steals the ball, puts Neymar in front of the goal who puts it wide.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Be aware of Gustavo Gomez on corners ...

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Would have been a nice goal form Richarlyson. Great run.

Didn't quiet turn Gomez with that move. Good defending there.

15. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For how long has Jesus on the right side been a thing? He doesn’t seem very good at it. ( Caio Ribeiro just said he’s doing a grande partida though)

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He played that position in CA 19 if I remember correctly. I was a bit distracted in 1st half, but I've seen him beat his marker well 2 or 3 times. But yeah, he is not a winger.

17. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    That was well-deserved.

18. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's a pretty good finish from Paquetá

20. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ok Jesus had a very nice pass to neymar in the 1st goal. Watching the highlights now.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Y despues de 36 años, cayó Asunción !

22. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I couldn't tell you. The last time I paid for a pay-per-view broadcast of a WCQ match was Argentina 1 Brasil 3 in 2009.

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Watched only a little bit and it didn't look like a brilliant performance but it was well-rounded enough. I liked Tite opting for a 4-2-4 formation which neutralized Paraguay's midfield. Nice that Brazil scored that early.

6 for 6, 18 points; the last time Brazil won 6 straight, Pelé still played.

On a different note, anyone see highlights of Brazil's Olympic NT vs. Serbia? 3-0 at Serbia and one legal goal was not validated. There's a kid named Pedro who kicked butt today. Perhaps Tite should look at him for a possible cap post-Olympic games.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's Pedro from Flamengo.

25. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brasitusa you should get a VPN and watch it on globo.