ELIMINATÓRIAS, R16: Brasil x Paraguai- 2/1/2022

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The biggest winners today are Paquetá and Fabinho, just by missing the last match, but they also played well, so that's good.

All the wingers gain points, I think. Coutinho becomes the frontrunner for that last midfield spot. Alex Telles might have earned himself another look. Considering Arana needs one too, that means it's extremely unlikely we'll see Caio Henrique get a shot. Consider that he's being used as a midfield/creator by Monaco, it's even more unlikely.

Some people (pundits and fans alike) have written Richarlison off cause he missed a few call-ups, but keep in mind he was given a rest after the Olympics because he played Copa America as well. he then missed November due to injury and this call-up he was already back but just returning from injury. He has a lot of credit. I expect him back next call-up.

It's nice to enjoy an easy win like this. Versus Chile we should win at home but it will certainly be a bigger challenge. If Peru don't win tonight (currently it's tied) Chile doesn't HAVE to beat Brazil, but they will depend on some very favorable results.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's interesting that certain players gain space and even a WC call up based on performances vs weak teams. It has happened in the past. If this game was decisive for Coutinho being in the WC, it will have come against the worst Paraguay that I can remember . It's funny how things happen.

Tite will have a headache to decide in attack. There are 5 spots (technically 6 but Neymar is guaranteed of course) .. and a lot of players fighting for them.

Raphinha, Antony, Cunha, Jesus, Gabigol, Richarlyson, Firmino, Vin Jr. , Rodrygo, Cebolinha .. maybe even Everton Ribeiro ... but I guess him and Coutinho are more attacking midfielders.

He is gonna have to decide between his favorites (Richarlyson, Firmino, Jesus) and the new players.

Raphinha - He is in. No doubt about this one.
    Antony - Has been making a strong case for himself.
    Cunha - Has done well tactically but can't seem to score.
    Jesus - You have to think he has lost a lot of favor. Might snatch the last spot.
    Gabigol - I think he will be out. Tite was always iffy about him and he hasn't shown much
    Richarlyson - tough to say because he has been injured. Tite likes him. So if he shows up good in next couple of call ups, I think he makes the team.
    Firmino - another one you have to think is not gonna make it.
    Vin Jr. - how does Tite leave him out if he is ballin at Madrid ? Even if he doesn't quite correspond with Brazil.
    Rodrygo - doubt he makes it.
    Cebolinha - I think he is out but Tite seemed to like him from CA we won.

If I had to guess, I'd say the 5 would be: Raphinha, Antony, Cunha, Vin Jr. and Richarlyson (Jesus).

But, that's a pretty young and inexperienced attacking lineup. Except for Richarlyson and Jesus. They have been the ones doing well.

Ombak repped this.
  3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Solid analysis and those 5 forwards are my current bet as well (with Neymar as a forward making 6 total). There was a tiny chance Neymar could go as a midfielder, but I don't think it will happen with Tite's efforts to bring back Coutinho (and the rumors he might still have wanted to test Raphael Veiga and Renato Augusto).

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Richarlison being out of Qatar would be unjust in a way - but at the same time, it's the price one pays for being a Brazilian international. The competition is fierce; in the past one had to be Ronaldo or Ronaldinho and today one has to be Neymar to be a titular absoluto. I like Richarlison and he's very important, but he's no Ronaldo or Ronaldinho - to state the obvious.

Still, I'd welcome him back in the next call-up if he's in shape.

As for Chile, I think they're going to be eliminated. Even if they get the other favorable results on March 24 and do not need to defeat Brazil, Brazil is going to go for the win.

5. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ok now that we’re done, can we please try to arrange matches against top level European seleções instead of playing against the same seleções game after game after game ?

Question of the day: Who comes out for NEYMAR ?