PBP: ELIMINATÓRIAS, R14: Argentina x Brasil - 16/11/2021

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Nov 14, 2021.

1. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Oof conmebol cup 97, that's one hell of a retro reference, man. Congrats for your deep mental archive.

Will we play in Brazil again? When? You said above that Messi will probably not play Brazil again, I'm confused...

ganapordiego repped this.
  2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think CB means Argentina will play in Brazil again one day, not that we have a match coming up.

The interrupted match likely won't be played at all so I don't think that's what he means.

3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL! Stop crying about the refs and concentrate on scoring goals... that's 3 consecutive games that you can't find the net vs us. 300+ mins without a goal vs. Argentina, yet somehow it's the refs fault.

I'll give it to you that Otamendi probably should have seen the red for his elbow today, but the final was lost without controversy. Learn to accept defeat without excuses for once in your life.

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Hey Chicken, I guess you didn't watch the match and that's why you're speaking out of ignorance.

Congrats on qualifying thanks to somebody else's defeat since your team failed to score.

Like you when your team lost in 2019?.... bye Chicken.

5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great comeback, except you're talking out of your ass. You're right that the ref in the 2019 semifinal was trash, but you didn't see me here crying and pointing fingers. Maybe you're confusing me with someone else, maybe you're delusional. Who knows what the case is...

I will let you hold on to your imaginary narrative and have your "win", though. It's like that old man with alzheimers that you feel bad for so you just run with his story.

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The ref wasn't trash. Your team lost fair and square.

Feeling uppity, aren't you. I guess it makes sense after the end of a 28-year-old title drought. Not a feeling I can understand, but this is something I hope that you understand..... I mean, you can, right? :)

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gerson isn’t really combative. He’s supposed to be one of the creative pieces in the midfield, but it hasn’t worked that way this far. He hasn’t been used correctly in France and hasn’t played well there. He would have been better off staying at Fla through the World Cup. Not sure who we could plug in to pick up the slack with creation.

8. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Really impressed by Fabinho. Great game by Brazil.

9. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm not an Argentina hater, so this is just an observation: The way Argentina played yesterday, all the fouls and such, is not a way to win a World Cup.
    You cannot try 10% of what they did yesterday, especially from the QF onwards and with VAR, and expect to survive a game with your 11 men.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    They know that. At home and with a limp-wristed referee, they get away with it. On the world stage, it's backfired for them, and even with their clubs.

11. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Argentina hasn't seen an actual red card at the world cup since 1998 (there was one in 2002 but it was for a player in bench)....

Clubs are a different story but you live crying about conmebol doing our clubs favors so... your narrative seems inconsistent.

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Who mentioned red cards? Surely you know that strict refereeing can limit the extracurricular activities which the now suspended Cunha failed to curb yesterday. Of course, CONMEBOL suspended him because they thought he did such a great job yesterday. :rolleyes:

13. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    No wonder you don't like retro references... because you guys went more than 2 decades without winning a single title, while we won like 10 in the same time frame. So since you FINALLY managed to win a Copa America in the atypical circumstances of the pandemic with no (or little) public on the stands, I'm sure you'll prefer to talk about the recent stuff.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brasitusa repped this.
  15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In the case of Otamendi’s elbow , I don’t think the ref had the best angle to see it . The VAR officials are who messed up.

16. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Well, the ref saw the video clips too. He even went back to watch them again, if you read the transcript of his dialogue with the VAR officials. So, he's just as guilty. A ref is allowed to overturn the VAR's suggestion. He could have said, "no, sorry guys, that's a red card offense and that's what I'm calling it; thanks for your input but it's my decision."

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think you have a major misconception here.

The ref doesn't watch any replays until a review is agreed upon.

VAR watched the replays and communicated with the ref that it was worthy of a yellow. Worthy of a yellow does not rise to the level of a review, therefore there was no review and the ref did not go and watch replays.

Also, refs do not tell VAR they want to watch something again, that is not how the procedure works. Finally, while VAR mentioned they thought it was a yellow, technically all they are supposed to do is suggest whether to review or not.

locoxriver repped this.
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The red did not go see the elbow incident . And there were actually zero plays he reviewed during the game .

19. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Oops, you are right. I went back to the transcript, and it's not the field ref who asks to see it again, it's one of the VAR officials. You are right; I stand corrected.

Ombak repped this.
  20. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Correct; I got mistaken when I read the transcript too fast, on terra.com.br and misinterpreted who said what.

Ombak repped this.